best music genres

just trying to do something new to break from the “favorite song” threads that are ever-present in this forum.

this time though id like you guys to give reasons why instead of just saying what it is. that sounded very “high and mighty” but i couldnt think of any other way to phrase it. sorry

my favorite type of music is punk rock. i dont mean the recent surge of mtv punks i mean real punk rock like pennywise, bad religion, rancid, and sick of it all. punk is great because it gave me something to believe in. i used to feel very much like an alien because of my liberal ideas in the sea of conformity called high school. then i started listening to pennywise and i realized i wasnt alone. bad religion, too. i love political songs of any genre. rancid and sick of it all and other hardcore punk bands are good because they give a good diversion when im feeling depressed. music is my escape from reality when im feelin low.

Benjamin Zephaniah: " You’ve been listening to the WRONG radio station."

Punk rock? My favourite genre is that which has no genre, or more specifically, no genre that I am aware of. Try to avoid the temptation of thinking in terms of boxes and categories, especially when it’s rammed down your throat by MTV and other evildoers. Music can enlighten, and make you aware of emotions and thoughts you never knew existed. MTV erects these ‘genre’ barriers to make you buy the same duplicate carp over and over again. It’s a profit-maximising ploy. The best genre is sans genre. You’ve been listening to the WRONG radio station.

Just one view of many.

As Lenny Cravats said, “There’s only two types of music: Good Music and Bad Music.”

I like almost all genres of music, depending on what I’m doing when i’m listening to the music, and how I’m feeling at the time. For example, listening to classical music while doing school or reading is awesome (fur elise is the best ever). Heavy Metal, though, is a practical must have for when I work out at home (Metallica).
There are some music genres I just rarely like, if ever, though. Counrty music, for one. It just… doesn’t work for me. Pop is another. ESPECIALLY boy bands. (shiver) They frighten the hell out of me. Not that I have anything against homosexuals, though.
Techno or Electronic music would have to be my favorite, though, as it stimulates the mind (while your reading or studying) but also the body. You can dance to it, just sit and listen to it, work out to it, anything, and it’s still awesome. Crystal Method is really cool.

I am very fussy when it come to music. I hate all pop music (lie kyle and stuff), rap, hiphop, dance, heary metal, trash, most rock stuff.

I end up with 3 techno, Underworld and Chemical Brothers and Prodigy, and the rest is basically indie, punk and alternative bands.

TheHairyGuy, i have to disagree with you. Bad Religion and Rancid are not really punk… Rancid is good but still, they are far from the original punk.
I like punk for the same reasons tho. It gives you more than just music, it makes you think. My fave punk band (and actually one of my fave bands ever) is The Clash. They were really something more than just a band.

Most of the bands I like are Indie/Alternative. I don’t really know why… i guess they are different and it sounds good. My fave indie bands are James (brit pop was once called), Placebo, Teenage Fanclub, Manic Street Preachers, many… too many to type. But the love of my life is James, which is propably my fave band.

Alternative… also many Guided by Voices, Hale Benders, Built to Spill, Afghan Whigs, Sebadoh, Velocity Girls… and Pavement, which is also my fave in this genre.

I don’t know the real reason why we like one genre of another. I like honest music… anything that’s made up innerves me

ok so technically they arent but then again how bands do hear now playing what punk originally sounded like?

if rancid played there stuff in the clash’s time it wouldnt be punk but the defintions of genre changes with time the style of punk has changed and expanded to crappy punk stuff and bands like rancid who are still punk as its political and all 3 chord just they have evolved from infulunces such as the sex pistols.

i dont like genres so much as bands i couldnt say i like say indie because i only like a few indie bands the same goes for punk and everything else genres are good but they are to wide and you end up tarring bands with the same brush which can sometimes be ok.

the Rancid are posers… they look more than they act and punk is all about direct action. I don’t think there is still any punk band nowadays. Joe Strummer was more punk with the mescaleiros if you think of attitude… even Primal Scream is more punk that Rancid.

I like rancid, their songs are good, don’t get me wrong… is just that punk means more than pure music.

I think genres are important at times because it defines types of music… but then, at the Brits they called Coldplay indie… which they’ve never been… so, it can be dodgy.

I agree with Clementine. The word of punk has surely been raped in a way which would have deeply offended the Sex Pistols.

Joe Strummer was a fine man - everybody’s favourite public schoolboy.

Joe was a great man… the fact that his dad was a diplomat doesn’t change that.

Absolutely. We are all born equal in rights and dignity. There should be no place for snobbery or reverse snobbery.

punk aint dead u just gotta look past the mainstream nowadays.

i didn’t say it is dead… but there isn’t any band at the moment which i would call punk… like the old and good 70’s punk

not in the charts (or remotely near the charts but some of the smaller local venues still have good ones (london that is i dont know about where you live)