• Classical
  • Goth Metal/ Nu-Metal
  • Oldies (60’s, 70’s, late 50’s)
  • Classic Rock
  • R&B/ Soul
  • Jazz
  • Other
0 voters

What is the musical preferences of people on the forum?

I’m am a very metal person; Goth Metal/ Nu-Metal all the way! Opeth, Cryptopsy, Coal Chamber, KoRn, Slipknot, Flaw etc etc. Alternative stuffs like TOOL.

I also like classical stuff. I’m really big on Bach now. I like Mozart, Vilaldi, Chopan, Tchaikovsky and the rest. I also am kinda into Celtic stuff like The Chieftains.

you missed out garage. how could you?
And cheese.

not that i’m back from university and frequenting the works and mccluskys at all…

I’m not sure i fit easily into any of these categories, although oldies rock probably best describes my taste. Here is a flavour of the kind of bands I like, but i find a lot of them difficult to categorise, though I’ll try.

The Velvet Underground - Arty noisescapes with rocky rhythm
The Who - Rock, with unbelievable drums and some strange lyrics and subject matter.
Dr Feelgood - Blues/Rock
The Jam - Mod Rock
Desmond dekker - Early ska and reggae
The Undertones - Real punk, not like some of the shit you get today.
Nick Drake - Acoustic, dare i say it, folky stuff
Kate Bush - ???
Ian Dury - ???
Syd Barrett - the strangest music you’re ever likely to hear

As I’ve said, I find things hard to categorise, but i suppose at the most basic level i just like strange unique stuff. I like people who sing in an accent, or in some other strange way, like the early Marc Bolan stuff. I like lyrics about mad stuff, like that classic undertones song Mars Bars…“I need a Mars Bar, hey raid the Spar”
I also like Syd Barretts lyrics, which mean something to him, but since he is clinically insane, mean very little to the rest of us, like;
"Yes I’m thiiiiiiiiiiiinking of this, yes i am.
puddletown Tom was the underground
Hold you tiiiiiiiiiiiiight you’re so close, yes you are,
please hold on to the steel rail
Colonel with gloves, Strauss leeches
he isn’t love on sundays mail.
All the fives crock Henrietta, she’s a mean go getter, gotta write her a letter.

I’ve no idea what kind of category you could put that in.

Socrate’s Apology, it’s one thing liking Nick Drake, but Kate Bush! Your ears are finely tuned. Running up that hill is like having sex with God. And every bored Jeff Buckley fan should take up Nick Drake. The healthiest music ever made.

Does anyone like the Pogues, or Bebel Gilberto, or Glover Gill/Tosca Tango Orchestra, or Hank MacGregor featuring Lembit Opik’s ‘Weekend Rock and Roll Band’, which is incidentally out now for £3.99 from Rainbow records in Newtown, Powys… news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2581863.stm

ps- Gareth Gates is soooo cute.

I like indie rock/pop… like Pavement, Teenage Fanclub, Nirvana (well it was when i first liked them)…

I love classical music, but i dont understand anything… just like listening to it. All the rest, i dislike… or even hate… i am very… VERY fussy.

I absolutely love the Pogues, being Irish. Probably the best pogues song is Old Man Drag

“One evening as I was lying down in Leicester Square,
I was picked up by the coppers and kicked in the balls.
Between the metal doors at Vine Street I was beaten and mauled
And they ruined my good looks for the old man drag
And now I am lying here I have had too much booze,
I’ve been spat on, and shat on and raped and abused.
I know that I am dying, and I wish I could beg,
for some money to take me from the old man drag”

Or the other classic, Rain Street;

“I gave my love a good night kiss,
I tried to take a late night piss,
but the toilet moved, so again I missed,
down Rain Street
Down the alley the ice wagon flew
picked up a stiff that was turning blue,
the local kids were sniffing glue,
there aint much else the kids could do,
down Rain Street.”

And yes, you’re right, Nick Drake and Kate Bush are masters in their field. I particularly like the Kate Bush song “Kite”. Jeff Buckley was just a poor copy of Nick Drake anyway, so no great loss there.

ahem fairytale of new york

ahhH! I forgot about punk. If you like punk click under the rock/metal please.