Music

What music do u so called scholars or intellects listen to?

Curious

I hope this is food to feed the fishies

death metal, especially obscure german bands. i only ever wear black too.

lol… ilovep posters listen to a pretty diverse range. Personally i like trance, garage… someone recently said that their preference was death metal; you’ll find people like rock, pop, classical music… the link between “so called scholars or intellects” and the music styles enjoyed is non-existent.

I agree. In my experience there is absolutely no link between intellect and musical preference. If there is any link between people who share musical tastes, it is likely to be personality. People often like the same music as a group of their friends, and groups of friends tend to form because of the existence of complementary personalities in that group.

I have a somewhat esoteric range of tastes: what does that say about my personality?

ps. I have discovered in the last year that jazz music rules! It requires technical skill, thereby placating purists; it is funky and danceable at times (Herbie Hancock - Headhunters…classic!), and at other times is thoughtful and introspective (Miles Davis - bitches brew…mindblowing). Also it is the basis for many modern musical styles. Hip hop artists borrow heavily from jazz, often by sampling it (well…any hip hop artist worth his salt does; admittedly that’s not an enormous number), a lot of dance music including trance and so-called IDM (intelligent dance music - like Kruder and Dorfmeister) samples jazz; rock music actually grew out of jazz guitar playing- it is the most complete genre I know of. Why is it so widely ignored? Maybe that should have been in the rant section…

ella fitzgerald has the most amazing voice in the world. ever.

Good cause i like all types of music…

I brought this up cause one of my college profs this year said, “Scholars share things in common, they have an appreciation for classical music…”
She also implied that We should listen to Classical music,beethoven/mozart…etc, if we wanted to be scholarly. But then I relized she was a close minded feminist and i stopped listening.

I really enjoy music with lyrics though. Specifically, aucoustic guitar soloist. I get a better feel for the musician and their outlooks on life… cause they actually write there own music…Most of them at least

But i like techno, classic rock (got to love it), alternative, rock, r n b, some rap, and some country

Peace

i would say i love all music, but that’s just not true. i abhor techno, and i think that all the members in Everything But the Girl should be shot, and their records all burnt. but to end on a positive note, the new RHCP album is damn good. summer music.

It’s all about progressive music for me these days - darker, more subtle electronic music for those that want a description. Works both in a club (strong beat, easy to dance to) and just sitting around at home (unintrusive, can be appreciated on a number of different levels). I can understand why a lot of people don’t like the sort of music I like, but personally I can’t really listen to anything else - apart from some classical music (but even then, if it has a flute or a clarinet in it I tend to lose interest pretty quickly).

Although, having said that, I can appreciate most forms of music with the exception of r’n’b (as distinguished from rap) and pop, both of which appear to me to be devoid of any redeeming features whatsoever - no real melodies, no real soul, no real energy.

Just my opinion though of course…

Let me clarify things…I like all TYPES of music, Not all music.

That means,for the most part, I like something from every genre of music.

I definatley dont like every musical composistion ever composed. DID you thinks thats what I meant?

Yeah, subtle electroinic music, like The Laziest Men on Mars. Whoooooo! Nothing can stop Torg!

its been a long time since i posted here… I kinda got tired of reading all those long posts that have one general point. I hate roundabouts. That maybe my new rant.

ANywho.

Hi everybody!!! (lots of new members, eh?)

My fave genre is SALSA &Merengue musica.

I also love my dancehall reggae… and r&b.
ghetto music is the new fad here, so I’m just tagging along…

CONSCIOUS music that plays its part in a
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & SPIRITUAL REVOLUTION (is usually what I got on)

Have a nice day, SunSET

That sounds pretty cool SunSET. Who are your favourite artists? Do you listen to Spearhead? Also, try Nia by Blackalicious for a spiritual reawakening (don’t know about the new album though).

Anyway…I really just posted that to get my status up to philosopher. :sunglasses: Rock on!!

id love to say i like all types of music and im open minded but i dont think anybody really is. The music around you will always grow on you ive found whether you like it at first or not. If you spend a lot of time with a group of friends you will gradualy start acting more like eachover and enjoying similar music if you all play your music enough. Im not quite sure where this is going but what im trying to say is that i like some music a lot of which i have discoverd, but everybody is effected by what music is around them. I accept all types of music are good but people cant like everything it just dosent happen. I dont know anybody who likes all types of music just people who try to have an open mind to all types of music.

Dylan, Bragg, Guthrie, etc. The greats.

And of course all those who grace Magic FM :blush: :blush: :blush:

without wanting to sound old before my time, i am somewhat disillusioned with music at the moment. I find that the mainstream music industry does not allow people who are really trying to be progressive and move music forward into the mainstream and force them underground into funny little niche’s.I know there are exceptions, but they are mostly within the dance music genre and are usually related to whatever drugs are fashionable.I listen to hendrix and dylan more than anyone cos i find it all pretty cool that they were both trying to do things that other people weren’t.However i feel that if there was ever another hendrix he would be thrown into some shitty nu-metal band or something like that by a record company.I don’t think genuine genius’s like hendrix and dylan would ever be able to make it in modern music cos they wouldn’t be given the chance, they’d be seen as too risky.Anyone disagree?

beer, comrade

Ok, under the influence of alex and leo , I got the blackalicious cd…(from a friend :astonished: ) and I know I’ll be hated for this,but…

IT SUCKED!!

it wasnt all that tacky, the words are nice… but to me good music is the amalg. of a nice rythym and nice or catchy words. I just wasn’t feeling it. Half full.

I was into Tupac for a while… but then everybody begn to love him. :imp:

I’m one of those people who really do, honestly and truthfully, like all genres of music. On my computer, I’ll listen to Contemporary Christian songs, a little ghetto rappin, followed by good old country, then nice rock, a little dancehall, then to classical Copland or a little Whitacre, and then to Broadway.

But my favorite genre is Choral music. Sounds weird, but I’m quite the interesting 17 year old. I sing in choir, so I like the music. Make me understand and appreciate the songs of my craft.

And a sinful pleasure…and pop act like N’sync, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera… :wink:

I’m also a big fan of Josh Groban. He’s awesome! :sunglasses:

Blackalicious are 100% cool. Don’t listen to their nats namesake.

As for Ella Fitzgerald having the finest voice ever. Well. I’m struggling to find any voice to reject that claim.

Is anyone else also affected by Wagner or Bjork or the Divine Comedy or Glover Gill/Tosca Tango Orchestra or KidARadiohead.