The Beatles...

i don’t hate the beatles, i just think they are over rated, sure they have a few good songs but they aren’t the greatest musicians ever, to me alot of their songs seems very similar, in that they produced lots of very different albums but the songs on each album are quite similar.

that and i prefer music with a bit more passion

macca, just thought i should mention that people say ‘‘it all sounds the same’’ about any genre of music they dislike / don’t know a lot about. take that as you will.

i love the beatles. abbey road’s the best album. thats all i’m saying.

i never said all their songs sound the same, and i have herd alot of their music as quite a few of my friends like them. i don’t dislike their music, it just seems that on each album the songs sound really similar, but on different albums there is diversity. i don’t dislike rock music and i have herd quite abit, so i feel my opinion is quite justified.

on classical music it could be another matter…

Generally albums do sound better when the songs sound similiar. Or there is some sense of continuity. I don’t put many of my CDs on unless I have enough time to listen to the whole thing.

i prefer an album that goes somewhere rather than just wallows in one place

[This message has been edited by macca (edited 09 April 2002).]

Well, it’s the fine line between going nowhere, and losing it’s continuity in going “somewhere”.

yeah, but an album with 12 songs that sound similar isn;t as good as an album that (as my friend said) “takes you on a journey”.

Well, it all depends on what you mean by similar… I’m talking same general genre. I could say all the songs on Massive Attack - Mezzanine sound “similar”. They have a pretty distinctive sound, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

macca: "on classical music it could be another matter… "

hah! so you know that your dismissal of classical music and your branding of it as generic might not be well founded on actual experience!! honestly if you like music with passion then classical music is often passionate as well as everything else (joyful, ecstatic, melancholy…).

oh dear. it’s just that i’m a classical music activist n all. i give up.

i never said i had lots of experiance of it. just that i have herd it several times and that to me it comes in two forms, ride of the valkeries (or the correct spelling of it), and the rest. in the same way that, probably, most ‘punk’ music sounds the same to you.

i am the proud owner of everything they’ve ever done, so i guess im a fan.

personally i think whats important isnt wether or not their music was good, as this is a matter of taste. what i do think is important is what they brought to and did for music in general.

to quote pete townsehend in 1965
“me and john were listening to a stereo LP of the beatles and when you hear them without the voices the backing tracks are flipping lousy”
im a fan but not for all their stuff

Same with any music. Its all down to personal taste. Either it does something for u or it doesnt.

I love the fab four!

Every song they wrote. But I wouldn’t scream if I saw them in concert.