Old people on buses!

Yes, call me an ungrateful delinquent but I’m sick and tired of old people giving me dirty looks on the bus.

Ok! So you’ve had a long day knitting but I’ve been at school since the crack of dawn and I’m carrying a school bag. You have no legal rights to the downstairs floor or the seats nearer the driver. Yes, it might be very nice if people stood up for you but if they don’t that doesn’t give you the right to mutter things under your breath about the decline of society.

I pay as much as you do (probably more in fact since I don’t get an OAP discount) YET you have had a lifetime to get a job and get some money where I’ve been at school my whole life and have had to get by with a weekend job. AND YET YOU STILL COMPLAIN!

And lets be honest, its not all old people. Most of them are very nice. It just seems to be the ones who get on my bus who are a pain in the ass!

Ben u ungrateful delinquent…OLD PPL GIVING YOUNGER PPL DIRTY LOOKS IS PART OF THE ENGLISH CULTURE… :wink: Its our heritage and one we should keep and treasure for the rest of our lives simply cos when we’re old…we should have the right to give younger ppl dirty looks !!

Oh yeah and u up since the crack of dawn…!!! FUNNY BOY !!

this isn’t related to old people. ben, when one leaves a message on a discussion, it doesn’t initially come up on the main discussion page which we’re redirected to. however, if you want to leave another message, it has come up on the ‘‘posts so far’’ bit. just so you know. (hence the three message thing … wasn’t just getting post-happy again)

What I tend to find annoying is when all the little year 7’s at school crowd round the front of the bus. It wouldn’t be so bad, but even when the bus is near empty, they crowd round the driver as if it is safer or something.

And whats even more annoying is, that they seem to think that the bus isn’t gonna stop at their stop unless they go to the front of the bus a few stops before hand.

One more bus type annoyance, they always have their bags full to bursting. When they sit down, they stick out from the front chair blocking the aisle, and when they are standing up, they have a tendency to hit you in the face if you are sitting down!

Grrr.

swat

i just plain out hate buses. jesus. either someone dribbles on you, someone throws a firework at you (yes… some people know what i’m talking about. i’m not exaggerating). cabs all the way is what i say. if you have a big group, it’s not too pricey, and you don’t end up with some adidas-clad yob seating himself on your lap and asking if you want “pills”. no, sir. if i wanted pills they would be purely medicinal and i would go to a chemist, you lower class, imbecilic speck. GOD. i hate buses, and the scum of society who tend to ue them. (sorry you lot … you are the exception. through some miraculous loophole, you use buses AND you are delightful).

I have to stand up for buses i’m afraid! I’ve had many happy memories on buses including being asked out, drunken singing of christmas songs on christmas eve, playing the hairy ass competition, meeting people you haven’t seen for years, strange women trying to set you up with the random girl sitting next to you… and the list goes on.

Obviously a cab is ideal if you’ve got the money but sometimes when everyone is getting the bus you don’t want to be the sad little specimen who’s getting a cab on their own because they’re too snobbish to sit on a bus with mates!

allowing the crusties to sit next to the door is for your own benefit ben. if it wasnt for that, they would have to trek all the way down the bus to the door, which would delay it by approximately 7 minutes and 13 seconds per pensioner per stop. which you wouldnt like.

Fair enough, some of the old people who are brave enough to venture outside, do seem to need the help of seating. But why do they insist on venturing out at times when they know the buses will be packed with school/college people? Whilst we are stuck in college/school all day, they have the entire day to go on trips to get their purple rinse done or collect their shopping, yet they still decide to go out in the student rush hour! In some ways, they are asking for it. I dont take kindly to the older generaion glaring at me on buses, as if to say GIVE ME YOUR SEAT". I dont mind if they are pleasant old things.

“no legal rights to the downstairs floor or the seats nearer the driver.”

well actually… i dunno about where you are, but the buses here have stickers above the seats at teh front of the bus saying ‘please give up this seat if an elderly or disabled person needs it’. the driver also has the legal right to refuse passage to people at his own discretion, so i dont think it would be too much of a leap to assume that he(/she) could in fact be within his legal rights to throw you off the bus for not giving up the seat…

maybe we could recycle old people and se them as fuel, like in Brave New World. i think this could solve lots of problems - nhs waiting lists, the abuse of the seating arangements on public transport, the exhaustion of fossil fuels…

I think those stickers that say “please give up your seat” are a matter of courtesy, you dont HAVE to. From my experience of buses, alot of bus drivers find old people extremely infuriating also, so i doubt they would refuse a young passenger the right to travel on a bus merely because they wont give their seat to an old person. The bus driver would prob ignore the scuffle and continue to drive. Buggies get on my nerves too.