Big Brother

Just realised this would be far better suited to the General Chat board, but I’m here now, and it made me think a lot so it’s practically philosophy (a topic in itself, there).

Anyway, I was thinking about Big Brother and how you’re not meant to know anything about the outside world. If you were on Big Brother, what scale event would have to take place for you to want to hear?

Most people would probably want to know - and get out - if a parent was dying. But what about, I dunno, a cousin? What about world-scale events, like September 11th? The yanks were doing BB while it happened and one contestant’s auntie was in the WTC, and is still missing. Her parents said she’d want to know, but would you really? Hm. I just think it’s an interesting guage of how important an event is to you.

i wouldn’t put myself in there in the first place.

i think i’d like to know what was going on just generally. i don’t really watch the news or anything, but i think i would miss it if i went in there.
but a big thing like a parent becoming ill i think they should let you come out, because if they died and you didn’t get to see them i am sure you would be slightly cheesed off with the makers of the program.
but i also just simply wouldn’t put myself in there. imagine millions of people gawping at you 24 hours a day. you can’t even take a piss without someone seeing it. i like a bit of privacy on the lav…but you get none in the BB house…tut tut

I think it would be in very bad taste for the program-makers not to let the contestants know if a close relative died and I would assume that the family would be consulted. With regards to world news, people are killed everyday all over the world and this doesn’t change when people go in the Big Brother house. We saw the footage of September 11th because it was such a huge concentration of people being killed in a highly media-covered country. As we keep being reminded, people are dying in their hundreds and thousands (no i’m not talking about the brightly coloured ice-cream topping) in other countries everyday, we just don’t hear about it. Why then, should the BB contestants be told about things that happen in developed countries which have the media at hand, but not about lesser developed countries which do not.

With regards to BB, the winner of last years competition, Brian, didn’t even know the name of the first man on the moon. People like that quite obviously don’t deserve to be told any news since they are content in being ignorant.

I personally wouldn’t go on Big Brother because I know i’d be voted off pretty early in. I am an interesting person (i know this is a shock to some) but I’m not an exhibitionist. I don’t wish to put on an image that I can be labelled with to sell to the nation. As an example from last years BB, I would be more of a Dean character. He was clearly the most interesting person there but because he wasn’t overly camp, a complete moron, gay and didn’t squeal about evil demons at every opportunity, he didn’t win. Today’s society seems to idolise the ignorant half-wit and the blond welsh tart over the intellectual brummie and straight-laced posh girl.

I think its great fun to watch in a perverted voyeuristic kind of way but there’s no way you’d get me in there.

bit OTT there ben you are just feeling the frustration of the 'lower classes rising upwards into the social strata, lol. i goto to go with you there, our generation will be quite rare in that we might not actually accomplish anything, we are far to happy to sit on past laurals than actually do anything. might give me a chance at a revolution then.

Firstly, the people on that programme are clearly a bunch of psycho actors- they know exactly what they are letting themselves in for when they opt freely to go on the programme.

Everyone who goes on it is clearly after attention and glory, and therefore don’t really deserve a lot of sympathy, although it’s an interesting subject because the situation is so artificial.

Doesn’t the programme say something about the twisted nature of humanity?

Why do people slow down when there is a car crash on the other side of the motorway?

Secondly, is peaceful evolution preferable to bloody revolution?
Our generation is surely no worse than any other.

Just a note to my darling brother-think about it the people who ended up in the BB house were put in there for a reason.They wanted extrovert people combined with the more serious types in order to make watchable television.If you had been in the house you’d have been a Craig character (sleeps all day) and people wouldnt have watched.Saying that i wouldnt be put in there either i’d drive everyone mad with my singing.

I am so damn done with all these realty shows. What about we get some quality writers out there and make up some good damn sitcoms?

“What about we get some quality writers out there and make up some good damn sitcoms?”

Just gimme an agent … rubs hands together

With a thread entitled Big Brother, and on a philosophy site, I was looking forward to something about Orwell’s 1984. Ah well. Live and learn.

Well don’t fret. If you looked at the date of the post before mine you would notice that I found this thread in my never-ending search for the first ILP post. And correct, with a name like Big Brother I was lead into a disscussion of a reality show that I have never heard of.

You know what, I am ashamed to say that I own three different copies of 1984 and have read none of them. I also own the VHS for 2001: Space Odysey (Sp Chk pls) but won’t see the movie until I read the book, which I do own and haven’t read.

But I’ve read Dan Brown’s Angels & Demons three times. Go figure.