The Thinking Atheist Forum Shutting Down

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

The Thinking Atheist Forum Shutting Down

Postby Serendipper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:52 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I suppose it doesn't matter in light of what this thread is meant to be about, which is: all that work over all those years; all the anally retentive organization, categorization, keeping discussions on topic; all the moderation, banning, stressing over people bickering because "this is serious business here!" and all the work meant to build something lasting, meaningful, important just went POOF! Gone like dust in the wind.

Official We are Shutting Down

September 30, 2018 will be the final day to say your goodbyes, copy any information you wish copied, and if you wish to have your account completely terminated, let me know.

There will be no giving away (or selling of data) the forum will simply cease to exist as of October 1.

I would like to thank everyone, it's been a real pleasure being the admin of such a great group. I will miss everyone and look forward to seeing familiar faces maybe on AtheistForums.Org or elsewhere around the web.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum ... tting-Down

I considered signing up there a year or so ago, but was turned off by the fact they showcase their banned like trophies under the guise of "transparency". http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum ... Log--20087

Anyway, apparently forum participation has atrophied:

With this update, I’ve made the difficult decision to remove the forum. Our forum users are enthusiastic and have long been friends of TTA, but we’ve seen a steady atrophy of participation, staff are difficult to maintain, and the new platform’s forum options are lackluster at best. Finally, again, I’m making the updated site with a "less is more" approach. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum ... this-Forum

Less is more? Less government or less functionality?

Just so everyone is aware, we won't be accepting new members, all the staff are now regular members

No point in enforcing the rules now I suppose :lol:

But what was the point before? :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

If everything ends, then why does it matter?

Serendipper
Philosopher

Re: The Thinking Atheist Forum Shutting Down

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:45 am

Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:11 pm

So much for "thinking atheists" :D

sorry for ur loss tho.

Fucking sucks when they pull that.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby Serendipper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:

=D> Well done! I was beginning to come around to that conclusion on my own. "The more a thing tends to be permanent, the more it tends to be lifeless."

Realizing that is especially hard on a sentimental person like me. I'm a cling-on :lol:
Serendipper
Philosopher

Postby Serendipper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 pm

barbarianhorde wrote:So much for "thinking atheists" :D

LOL

sorry for ur loss tho.

Fucking sucks when they pull that.

I appreciate it, but I never signed up there, so it doesn't matter to me. I tried an atheist board once, but I'm not atheist nor christian, so I don't make friends too easily :-? :lol:

I just happened to have been listening to Seth Andrews on youtube when he said he used to be a fundamentalist christian with a christian radio show and I thought "wow he's a lot like me!". I wondered what flipped him, so I looked him up and found the thinking atheist site. The coincidence of events seemed somehow meaningful to me, so I posted it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Andrews
Serendipper
Philosopher

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat