the tricky truth

Consider this:

thedailybeast.com/last-surv … 7?ref=home

So, is this true?

In fact, even here we need God.

It is thought that she is the last survivor from the 19th century.

But there may well be someone “out there” who was born in the 19th century and is still among us.

Only God knows for sure.

Yeah, if we had some kind of referee to tell us if a tree falls in a forest and there’s nowhere there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Shame we don’t have one. Just because there’s a truth we’d need a God for someone to know for sure, doesn’t mean we have one. Don’t you feel a little silly for suggesting such a logic?

Another take on this is…it is implicit in his ‘we would need a God’ that if we had a God we’d know. Or if we were in communcation with God. This implies strongly that if you are, you know it is God, otherwise having a God and being in contact is not enough. You might doubt you heard God’s answer correctly. You might doubt it is God. But as formulated in the OP, these epistemological issues would not be present. Which is interesting, since it would mean that while non-believers may have no reason to listen to a believer recounting what God said, some believers may be 1) actually listening to God and 2) correctly compelled to believe.

I doubt, however he was arguing that because we have the need there must be a God.

Why do these conundrums exist? In part because of the inherent gaps between the words that we invent and reality as it really is. We often forget that though. Many seem to imagine that there will always be just the right words to explain…everything?

Me, I always focus on the distinction here between the is/ought world and the either/or world.

And yet while reading the article it just struck me: All those things that are in fact either this way or that way, but which “mere mortals” are not in fact able to actually establish.

Unless of course someone actually does.

For example, in true crime docs there are countless jury verdicts that may or may not be in sync with the objective truth. Folks are sent to prison [even to death row] and we may never really know what the actual truth was.

Truth can be tricky even with respect to the either/or world.

And that’s got to be a crucial component for those who invented the Gods. A point of view that ever and always does know!

I don’t believe in God myself. But I can still well understand why having one around might be useful. And comforting.