James S Saint

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: James S Saint

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:14 am

encode_decode wrote:As far as I know he was still in the process of writing the book. So no, I dont think it is published.

Later on when I get enough time I am going to write a book on RM:AO - a guide for the rest of us, so to speak.

I found his ideas hard going and in need of a reference point so as to understand where he was coming from.

What happened to Neosophi? It says "This account has been suspended" when I visit the link.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:What happened to Neosophi? It says "This account has been suspended" when I visit the link.

I will be paying the site fees over the next couple of weeks that is why the account is suspended. I have big plans for that forum and site and will be upgrading to a much faster server. I will post on ILP when it is back up and running.

Kind regards.

:D
    Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
    (James S Saint)

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
    (Anomaly654)

Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
    (Myself)
    encode_decode
    Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:49 pm

iambiguous wrote:My own [and of late only] interest in philiosophy revolves almost entirely around the extent to which its tools are applicable when confronting the question, "how ought one to live?"

And, in particular, in what I construe to be an essentially absurd and meaningless world. A No God world that culminates in oblivion for each of us one by one.

A single philosopher is no longer able to change the world in my opinion but the world needs to change. The world needs to change because there is very little anyone of us can do about the direction that technology is taking and the social impact that these technologies are taking. But in numbers the world is at least able to brace itself for future events and steer the direction in which future directions on top of this future direction will go. An oblivion can be avoided.

iambiguous wrote:Either abstract arguments -- or its cousin, "general descriptions" -- will go there or they will not.

James would never take RM/AO and/or the Real God there. Or, rather, not in a manner that we could both agree on.

I will personally take abstract arguments and its cousin general descriptions there. You are correct about James never taking RM:AO there - but even he says that the rules must change to fit the situation.

iambiguous wrote:It's basically the difference between describing human interactions as they do in fact unfold from day to day, and assessing whether they ought to have unfolded in some other way instead. In order to be in sync with what is deemed to be rational or virtuous behavior.

It's the difference between Donald Trump shutting down the Mueller investigation [he either does or he does not] and arguing that, if it is shut down, it was the right thing to do.

I really don't grasp how others fail to see this rather clear distinction. One can be demonstrated to be true for all of us [sans sim worlds, solipsism, cartesean demons etc.] and the other is tangled in sets of political prejudices rooted in what I construe to be an existential interaction of human identity, value judgments and political power: out in a particular world historically, culturally and experientially.

Either RM/AO and the Real God are applicable here or they are not.

This is something that I can relate to - by how you have put it here and I think it is a good way. Starting with current events and near future events is a great way to test philosophical theories in near real-time and making analysis of near past events(ie what was the better way) is at least useful for the time being(potentially the next 20 - 50 years).

RM:AO would require some work to fit such a scheme.
      Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
      (James S Saint)

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
      (Anomaly654)

(Myself)
      encode_decode
      Philosopher

Postby Anomaly654 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:39 pm

encode_decode wrote:
      Magnus Anderson wrote:What happened to Neosophi? It says "This account has been suspended" when I visit the link.

I will be paying the site fees over the next couple of weeks that is why the account is suspended. I have big plans for that forum and site and will be upgrading to a much faster server. I will post on ILP when it is back up and running.

Kind regards.

You might consider adding a PayPal option to accept contributions to offset operating expenses.
      Anomaly654

Postby encode_decode » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Anomaly654 wrote:You might consider adding a PayPal option to accept contributions to offset operating expenses.

I think that is a wonderful idea and when I move the site to a faster host I think I will do such as you have suggested.

We have to start somewhere.

Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

(James S Saint)

(Anomaly654)

(Myself)
        encode_decode
        Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:57 pm

encode_decode wrote:A single philosopher is no longer able to change the world in my opinion but the world needs to change. The world needs to change because there is very little anyone of us can do about the direction that technology is taking and the social impact that these technologies are taking. But in numbers the world is at least able to brace itself for future events and steer the direction in which future directions on top of this future direction will go. An oblivion can be avoided.

In no substantive way am I able to connect the dots here between what I construe to be one more general description of human interaction and a particular change imagined in the future involving conflicting goods we are all likely to be familiar with.

It's just one more scholastic contraption re RM/AO, VO, or prismatics "progressive behaviors" narrative.

And how on earth in the absense of God's immortality and salvation is the obliteration of each and every individual "I" accomplished?

For me, with respect to each moral/political issue in which there are conflicting valuations, it comes down to this:

iambiguous wrote:It's basically the difference between describing human interactions as they do in fact unfold from day to day, and assessing whether they ought to have unfolded in some other way instead. In order to be in sync with what is deemed to be rational or virtuous behavior.

It's the difference between Donald Trump shutting down the Mueller investigation [he either does or he does not] and arguing that, if it is shut down, it was the right thing to do.

I really don't grasp how others fail to see this rather clear distinction. One can be demonstrated to be true for all of us [sans sim worlds, solipsism, cartesean demons etc.] and the other is tangled in sets of political prejudices rooted in what I construe to be an existential interaction of human identity, value judgments and political power: out in a particular world historically, culturally and experientially.

Either RM/AO and the Real God are applicable here or they are not.

encode_decode wrote:This is something that I can relate to - by how you have put it here and I think it is a good way. Starting with current events and near future events is a great way to test philosophical theories in near real-time and making analysis of near past events(ie what was the better way) is at least useful for the time being(potentially the next 20 - 50 years).

RM:AO would require some work to fit such a scheme.

I agree. And now apparently James is either no longer around to pursue that work or he has come to understand that it cannot actually be accomplished.

Still, there are plenty of other moral and political objectivists around who continue to make the claims.
        He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
        Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
        iambiguous
        ILP Legend

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 am

Pretty much like you do. Well, with the help of the stars. :wink:

Perhaps Fixed can consult the stars and let us know where James S is. i.e. Below or Above.
        The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
        A Shieldmaiden
        Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:I know James was writing a book. Is that book published? Does anyone know?

...has he become famous, and cut his ties with us/moved on to better things?
        MagsJ
        The Londonist

Postby encode_decode » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Neosophi is back up and running. Links should be accessible now.

Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

(James S Saint)

(Anomaly654)

(Myself)
          encode_decode
          Philosopher

Postby Ben JS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Hope you're doing OK, James.
          Formerly known as: Joe Schmoe

ben wrote:I think it is eloquently fitting that my farewell thread should be so graciously hijacked by such blatant penis waving. It condenses my entire ILP experience into one very manageable metaphor.
          Ben JS
          Human Being

Postby encode_decode » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 am

Six months have passed . . .

“Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names.”
            -Proverb

You are remembered James - may you rest in peace
              Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

(James S Saint)

(Anomaly654)

(Myself)
              encode_decode
              Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:33 pm

encode_decode wrote:
                Six months have passed . . .

“Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names.”
                -Proverb

You are remembered James - may you rest in peace

I would suggest ( :P ) that this may be a bit premature unless you know for a fact that James has died. Do you?

It is possible of course but it is also possible that he is living La Vida Loca somewhere else and I do not mean the hereafter.

This is where Rilke's quote comes to mind.

Do not rest in peace, James ~~ give them HELL!
                Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
                Arcturus Descending
                Consciousness Seeker

Postby Mithus » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:52 am

During the last four years I was translating James' work into German. I went through thousands of his posts on ILP, Humanarchy and other forums, trying to summarize it all, including RM:AO Physics and the analogies to Psychology and Sociology, in order to arrange a book out of it. James patiently answered all my questions, we had a permanent PM-contact. Last autumn the first draft of the book was finished and James agreed to reread the English version. Being very critical with his wording, he said it would take some time for him to correct it all, and it would be the best if he withdraws for a while. I still hope that this is the reason why he is not around, but half a year is a long time and our contact abruptly stopped in January.
                I decided to wait until July, and then bring this project forward by myself. I suppose this is what I have to do now. Hopefully it will be finished by the end of the year. My plan is to get it published first in German, then in English as well. I'll let you know.
                ..... panta rhei .............................................
                Mithus

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 am

Mithus wrote:During the last four years I was translating James' work into German. I went through thousands of his posts on ILP, Humanarchy and other forums, trying to summarize it all, including RM:AO Physics and the analogies to Psychology and Sociology, in order to arrange a book out of it. James patiently answered all my questions, we had a permanent PM-contact. Last autumn the first draft of the book was finished and James agreed to reread the English version. Being very critical with his wording, he said it would take some time for him to correct it all, and it would be the best if he withdraws for a while. I still hope that this is the reason why he is not around, but half a year is a long time and our contact abruptly stopped in January.
                I decided to wait until July, and then bring this project forward by myself. I suppose this is what I have to do now. Hopefully it will be finished by the end of the year. My plan is to get it published first in German, then in English as well. I'll let you know.

K: well, good luck...….I hope you get it done......

Kropotkin
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security
                wind up with neither."
                "Ben Franklin"
                Peter Kropotkin
                ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:33 pm

You were on Humanarchy? Cool.
                I still have the forum file for that, with all the posts.
                Went through some trouble putting it on a new site but couldn't get it to work.
                A new day, new dawn.../A grasshopper jumps and makes /The fresh dew scatter
                - Pezer
                http://beforethelight.forumotion.com - Tree of Life Academy
                The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
                - Thucydides
                Fixed Cross
                Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat