What would an actual party of ILP look like?

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

What would an actual party of ILP look like?

Postby Jakob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:46 am

Lets say there are a couple of hundred people that sometimes check posts here and have, the past years.
I wonder what they look like. What a gathering of them (the larger "us" here, I suppose) would have the general appearance of being like. (now shoo, Heidegger)

I imagine it something like this but gibber. I meant bigger. Or did I?

It would not be like this

but it could be this

with some more tables.

It would be in my hopes to imagine it so:

(but more multifarious)

But I fear some would want it to be this.

I might be among them after several beers.

Or instead we could smoke:

Insights appreciated.
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Re: What would an actual party of ILP look like?

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Or it could be something like this:

Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Jakob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Enough said. Magnus is in charge of all future parties.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby derleydoo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:03 pm

It would be held in a very large, circular room. There would be conversations in every corner. :)
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby AutSider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:Or it could be something like this:

What the fuck is that woman doing there? Better be making sandwiches for the men in a nearby kitchen.

AutSider
BANNED

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Because only ILP women can give birth to real men.

Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm

I would walk around the circular room watching everyone arguing with each other about all manner of subjects
just like they do here although I would say nothing myself since I do not like to talk but prefer to listen instead
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 am

photo_112_1379029523.jpg
photo_112_1379029523.jpg (122.38 KiB) Viewed 4075 times

A nice meal, some good wine and lots of 'spirited' conversation.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby AutSider » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 pm

But really, if there ever was such a party us Nazis would totally crash it and make the recent LA shooting seem like nothing in comparison

AutSider
BANNED

Postby MagsJ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 pm

AutSider wrote:But really, if there ever was such a party us Nazis would totally crash it and make the recent LA shooting seem like nothing in comparison

Just in case you come back from the permaban, again... you would kill your own? Are you confused?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby promethean75 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:14 pm

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:36 pm

I imagine a lot of shy girls, and some shy dudes. Which I love. Then the 3 or 4 cocky ones would start stirring something up, and grab the attention of the shy ones. The shy dudes in a daze, the shy girls feeling like they just walked into a pumpkin.

Then hopefully after some alcohol and drugs the cocky ones would scheme out some stupid thing, and then who knows. And then the Sun would come and wash it all away. Well, not all.

The original song was lyrical, but was so obscene it was disallowed. So the whistling is a testament against authority in more than one way.

Anyway if such a party was put together, I'd find some way, any way, to make it there.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:36 pm

It would look like those guys who hang around colleges but are older, some in bands, some trickling their way to degrees, some stoners, some doing some kind of Eastern meditation and wearing the appropriate semi hippie semi hipster clothing for their generation, whichever it is. There would be a few women. Most of the men would be awkward around the women. fifty fifty split on thc and alcohol imbibement. Undancable music, unhealthy food, bad skin. Some surprisingly short people with a lot of facial hair. A lot of people standing or sitting along clutching a beverage. A lot of laughter that sounds somewhere between a snort and a cough. People rolling their own cigarettes. A few truly randomly mixed breed dogs that had to be brought to the party because they bark nonstop if left alone. Very few wedding rings. One suicide during the event.

Carleas on a scooter delivering appetizers.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:It would look like those guys who hang around colleges but are older, some in bands, some trickling their way to degrees, some stoners, some doing some kind of Eastern meditation and wearing the appropriate semi hippie semi hipster clothing for their generation, whichever it is. There would be a few women. Most of the men would be awkward around the women. fifty fifty split on thc and alcohol imbibement. Undancable music, unhealthy food, bad skin. Some surprisingly short people with a lot of facial hair. A lot of people standing or sitting along clutching a beverage. A lot of laughter that sounds somewhere between a snort and a cough. People rolling their own cigarettes. A few truly randomly mixed breed dogs that had to be brought to the party because they bark nonstop if left alone. Very few wedding rings. One suicide during the event.

Carleas on a scooter delivering appetizers.

:lol:

I'd be:
-one of the few women there
-alcohol imbibing
-petite, but without the facial hair
-rolling my own cigarettes i.e. roll ups
-no wedding ring, but plenty of admirers ; )

I've actually been to a gathering like that (minus the suicide), and it was actually a lot of fun.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Karpel, I really doubt it would look like your birthday.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Come on. His cliche-filled post deserved a predictable joke.

Thinking people are unsightly nerds. Okay great. We know that boorish idiots think this. Fuck off already.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:51 pm

What I think an ILP party would look like is a big mud pit spiked with some alcohol and sulphur. Half the people in it trying to push each others heads in the mud, the other half standing around looking bored.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Gods we are, riders on the storm.

No really, there would be a lot of loud shouting and laughing, rather proud than hysterical. People would come into their own. Intelligence isnt shy before other intelligence. It only has to hide from stupidity, pretend modesty, where stupidity is the norm.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:26 am

Jakob wrote:Karpel, I really doubt it would look like your birthday.
Oh, that defintely could have been one of my birthday parties (or one of yours I would bet). But my birthday parties now don't look like that at all, for good and for ill.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:30 am

Jakob wrote:Come on. His cliche-filled post deserved a predictable joke.

Thinking people are unsightly nerds. Okay great. We know that boorish idiots think this. Fuck off already.
I was going on images I have seen of specfic people here in their real lives including yours. They are not nerds, however, that's your own hangup, nor are they or we unsightly - some sure - also your expectations. I was also working partly off what another somewhat similar forum posted of their gathering and then what I have seen people post here in videos and films and my sense of the underlying goals and pain of the population here.

I do appreciate the assumption that an ilp gathering is a 'thinking people' gathering in your post here, but even that's a cliche given the specific type of poster that comes and stays here. This is a very slap dab philosophy forum. I don't experience it as especially nerdy or knowledgeable about philosophy, though, yeah, people here probably think in some ways more than the average person.

This is a place where people precisely do not want to do anything rigorous, philosophically. A lot of people with rather idiosyncratic worldviews and who have suffered some serious shit. A lot of people who want a soap box for their views often metaphysical or political in nature.

Your critique of my post is cliche. It is as if this was, primarily, a philosophy forum. Or that what I described was what, say, a Philosophy Forums party would be like.

There may be some nerds in here, but I will bet there are few. And any awkwardness around women does not come from spending too much with computers or comics, but from damage, and then also from being different.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Until it collapses into a reality, it is BOTH thin in girls and full of (shy) girls.

They need to know they are invited. They are shy.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Jakob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Jakob wrote:Karpel, I really doubt it would look like your birthday.
Oh, that defintely could have been one of my birthday parties (or one of yours I would bet).

Thats a bet you'd lose.

I disagree entirely with you in your assessment of ILP - not surprising since Ive attacked you as someone who refuses to think things through. We simply are very different.
You would have your corner at that party, where the snorting and coughing takes place, the underhanded shit. I wont deny you that.

It is true that I know one guy who would fit in that, Sauwelios. I am no longer a friend to this person though, precisely because of his inability to escape that dankness. Ive tried to pull him out of it for over ten years. Cost me too much to mention. But Im completely through with that kind of impotence now.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Until it collapses into a reality, it is BOTH thin in girls and full of (shy) girls.

They need to know they are invited. They are shy.

If you build it, they will come.

Gotta build it right though. Which is why I am quick top burn down Karpels ideas. They're diseased, unrelated to the vitality that this place has always had. Of course the dude is new here.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Gimme a couple years then.

Karpel Tunnel wrote:And any awkwardness around women does not come from spending too much with computers or comics,

No, yes it does.

Karpel Tunnel wrote:, but from damage, and then also from being different.

This is actually highly attractive to girls, hot ones specially.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat