How Prepared Are You?

The political climate worldwide is an inferno of insanity. There’s much talk of a global, societal breakdown where civilizations en masse will be restructured through chaotic capitulation (war, civil unrest, etc.) based around the basic necessities (food, water, shelter) and personal security. Essentially, mass produced, ready-made products will cease and man will once again need his ingenuity to produce his own basic necessities. It’s hard to imagine any country, let alone the world, grinding to a complete standstill in terms of fuel and energy shortages, lack of viable transportation of goods, no communication, no sanitation, no water production/filtration, but the potential for this catastrophe exists.

Should modern civilization as we know it cease to exist without an extinction event, are you prepared for a societal breakdown of this magnitude? Have you set aside tools and rations to weather the potential collapse of civilization?

Most single people and families do not have enough food on hand to last more than seven days. Most singles and families have enough drinking water for 48 hrs. by including juices, sodas, beers, etc. which might extend a home’s drinkables to 4 days.

Grocery stores, convenience stores, and all shops that tout food, water, medical supplies, and tools will be stripped clean of products within 2 days.

Fire production and water collection will become crucial real fast.

I am gearing into a fast lasting one, possibly of two weeks duration. Fasting is good not only as a way to cleanse the body of impurities, but of training the stomach to control consumption to near a minimal survivable level. If everyone in the world could do this, think of the amount of food the world could save, and the amount of waste it could cut down on.

The result would greatly diminish the amount of pain and suffering in case the described scenario would occur.

There’s nothing wrong with shrinking your stomach and less waste, but people who do not eat on a regular basis tend to loose strength, endurance, and mental acuity, not to mention they get “the hangrys”.

No. They can eat on a regular basis even with snacks, and in-between snacks, but the idea is to eat far less at those meal times, and eat the right stuff. That would lead to more strength and endurance, in addition to a weight loss, and control of hunger pains.

What kind of fast allows eating and snacks taboot? I get what you’re aiming at but its more of a game than a way of life. Since most people are fairly sedentary, they wouldn’t require much food fuel, but having to do strenuous labor to ensure all the basic necessities were met, would require more food consumption, not less.

I think you’re grossly underestimating the resiliency of civilization. Since it began, its had its ups and downs, but it doesn’t generally tend to make big steps backward, and we’re pretty far along at this point, so even if it did, I cant imagine that there would be mass starvation or anything like it. There’s always been some economic way or another to keep people from revolting and society from breaking down. Remember, you don’t have to take good care of the poor, you just have to give them enough to where they don’t feel the need to fight.

Are Joker and I the only two here with provisions and know how? I’m already worried about you folks, now you’re exacerbating my worry by not stating that you are prepared.

Hurricane Katrina was an excellent example of civilization going belly up in less than a week and that happened with the rest of society having capabilities to aid New Orleans.

I grew up at gun shows and reloading my own ammo. I’m from Alabama. I know like 10 guys with bunkers full of mres and shit. I’ve been thinking about this since you were like 9.

So your friends are prepared, but you are not?

What’s this need for some sense of superiority that you’ve got? I just told you, I was taught this stuff as a child.

Civilization went belly up? I’ve been to New Orleans 20 times since then. Its just like it was before. So again, you may be underestimating the resiliency of civilization.

If you have no stuff, you’ll be hard pressed to outgun those that do. Stop with your denial and stock up a bit. If it goes bad, it’ll go real fast.

You believe I’m acting superior? :smiley: That’s the nicest compliment I’ve had all day. Thanks. My plan to not be a push over is working.

Not saying this is true, but I get the sense that you’ve maybe switched medications recently, or that you’ve been awake too long.

You’re giving us prepper rhetoric. I’ve heard it a million times. You don’t really know who’s ready and who isn’t, and you don’t really know that you couldn’t be robbed of all your supplies. Regardless of the circumstances in society at any given time, the best attributes of a person with regard to the ability to survive remain the same. If you’re smart, and you make good decisions, you’ll fare better than those who aren’t and who don’t.

How old are you? I get the sense that like I said, you’re telling me things I’ve known since you were 9.

I have a young spirit don’t I? :astonished: Thanks again for your gracious compliments. :-" What a roll you are on. :wink:

If thats what you want to call it…

Mr. wrote

Every time I read this laughter follows. Thanks again Mr. :smiley:

WD wrote:

Well… I am contemplating growing my own veggies, but that won’t be enough will it? :mrgreen: Maybe a cow or two.

SM,

Depends. It’s definitely a start. You seem to have a year-round growing climate and a green thumb, but what of water resources? Ample fertile soil? I bought a wonderful, older book about food gardening indoors, THE EDIBLE INDOOR GARDEN: A COMPLETE GUIDE TO GROWING OVER 60 VEGETABLES, FRUITS, AND HERBS INDOORS by Peggy Hardigree. I also have a great food preservation book, Preserving Everything: How to Can, Culture, Pickle, Freeze, Ferment, Dehydrate,…by Leda Meredith.

How do cows fare in Australia? Chickens and goats would be easier to protect, bring indoors if need be.