Introduction to the Forum

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Introduction to the Forum

Postby Gloominary » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm a 32 year old Canadian male.

I'm currently single, and I live with my father in a two bedroom basement suite.

I'm a cleaner.

I work 32 hours a week, and I make minimum wage.

I'm lazy, I don't like to work.

I wish I didn't have to work much, maybe 5 or 10 hours a week.

I like to philosophize sometimes.

I spend most my spare time online, chatting in chat rooms, posting on forums, watching youtube, talking to my one and only ex, who lives in another province, and playing video games.
Gloominary

Re: Introduction to the Forum

Postby incorrect » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 pm

sounds normal, yet depressingly so
incorrect
Thinker

Postby Pandora » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Sounds like you don't get out much. Maybe if you tried to find a job that would give you some type of enjoyment, or benefit (other than money), you'd actually be more motivated. It would take a lot of looking around and trying different things, but maybe it's worth it. Plus, you'd learn new things.
Btw, welcome. Here, you can vent out all your frustrations. :D
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Gloominary » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:13 am

Pandora wrote:Sounds like you don't get out much. Maybe if you tried to find a job that would give you some type of enjoyment, or benefit (other than money), you'd actually be more motivated. It would take a lot of looking around and trying different things, but maybe it's worth it. Plus, you'd learn new things.
Btw, welcome. Here, you can vent out all your frustrations. :D

I don't, just to work and back.
Yea, I might try that some day, find a more enjoyable/meaningful job for me, instead of just a job where I can get away with doing the least amount of work.

Hm, venting my frustrations sounds alright, especially if I can use them to make broader points about society.
Gloominary

Postby Gloominary » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 am

incorrect wrote:sounds normal, yet depressingly so

Mhm, it's becoming normal for my generation, societies been forcing us to jump through a lot of hoops with few hopes.

A lot of people who play by the rules get shafted regardless, and some people, like me, don't even bother trying.
Gloominary

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:26 am

EyesInTheDark?
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit

Postby Gloominary » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Merlin wrote:EyesInTheDark?

Yup, you got me... hey Joker how've, you been?
What's new?
Consumerism is sin.
Gloominary

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Gloominary wrote:

What's new?

Yeah, you got me also. I've retired the Joker going as Merlin now. I'll be retiring that username before the day is over also.

I am rarely online anymore as my pessimism for humanity and the entire world is at an all time high. I'm starting to see the utter uselessness of philosophy and discourse altogether not to mention the mental retards everywhere are becoming unbearable to interact with constantly.

At some point it all becomes a giant narration of human annihilation. It all becomes very redundant, pointless, and a waste of time really. Lately I've just retired to private life and currently basking in the social political instability of the United States. I wonder currently for instance if an impeachment coup and civil war is on the horizon. Either way none of it really matters.
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby Gloominary » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:38 am

Merlin wrote:
Gloominary wrote:

What's new?

Yeah, you got me also. I've retired the Joker going as Merlin now. I'll be retiring that username before the day is over also.

I am rarely online anymore as my pessimism for humanity and the entire world is at an all time high. I'm starting to see the utter uselessness of philosophy and discourse altogether not to mention the mental retards everywhere are becoming unbearable to interact with constantly.

At some point it all becomes a giant narration of human annihilation. It all becomes very redundant, pointless, and a waste of time really. Lately I've just retired to private life and currently basking in the social political instability of the United States. I wonder currently for instance if an impeachment coup and civil war is on the horizon. Either way none of it really matters.

I see you've changed a little, you were always very cynical/pessimistic, but it seems you've given up on meeting like minded people, other pessimists/cynics, or at least online, or in the numbers you were hoping for.

I think civilization is declining too, western civilization, especially the UK/US and their offshoots, reached its apex/zenith several decades, and is now in slow but steady decline.
The principles western civilization was founded on were totally unsustainable, and might even lead to the extinction of our species, or at least the collapse of civilization as we know it, but all civilizations wax and wane, as they are natural, organic processes, the only real question is, how hard/fast will they fall, and will humanity be able to recover at some point?
Myself I think we really screwed up this time, we're consuming ourselves into oblivion.
No system is perfect, or incorruptible, far from it, but sometimes I think about how we could've done things better.

Yea should be interesting to see what happens in the states.
There's some things I like about Donald and some things I don't.
We have this notion that whatever gulf exists between the races, religions, classes, and even the sexes and so on, that it can be bridged, resolved, but what if the country is torn apart instead?
Could be a lot more civil instability and unrest to come.
Either way, the US is doomed, infinite growth on a finite planet is impossible, and that's ultimately what the US, and most empires/superpowers are based on, few people ever talk about powering down, localizing, decentalizing, it's always more globalization, more centralization, more consumption and so on, meanwhile the soil is eroding, oil and water are drying up, the pharmaceuticals, radiation, and the chemicals in food, air and water are frying our brains, people are more autistic and obese than every before, and so forth.
Sometimes I think about starting over.
Consumerism is sin.
Gloominary

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 am

I've come to the conclusion over the years that people like me are a minority or living anomaly amongst the majority of people who have been indocrinated to embrace pitiful philosophies and ideologies by comparison as salvation surrogates. Most people embrace pathetic various forms of thinking and there's nothing you or I can do about it. Minorities are nothing in the face of a ignorant and arrogant majority even if they have a firmer grasp on things. I've eventually given up trying to change things or attract like minded individuals even more so that there are so very few of us around. It's all very futile. If it's any constellation you are the only individual I've met thus far whose thinking is almost as identical to mine.

Western civilization is dying in more ways than one and it only exists in some small rudimentary form now due to borrowed time. This will become more apparent in the next fifty years as time goes by. This will however not end with western civilization as all civilizations across the planet have inherited the disease of western progressivism.

An extinction event is very possible for humanity within the next hundred years and there probably won't be any meaningful way to avert it. Even if the natural world takes back the artificial construct we've created there is still hundreds of nuclear cores all around the planet that left unattended would flood the entire planet with toxic radiation. The entire planet would eventually become a toxic radiation wasteland choking out all existence of life as we know it.

I'm at the point where I am wondering if any kind of recovery is even remotely possible or whether humanity will even survive years into the future. I'm still an anarchist ideally and a nihilist however pessimistically I'm an anarchist that understands anarchism isn't even remotely possible anymore as we've destroyed that opportunity. Anarchism is an opportunity lost and I wonder if it will be an opportunity that we can ever regain. The alternative of totalitarian government in all its various forms of course is no solution or something to settle for either. It's all a giant clusterfuck.

Starting over? Sounds nice but, how exactly would you propose such an endeavor?

As for the United States it is an international corporatist hijacked nation whose military and economic power is being utilized to exploit the rest of the world in creating a global government. This project will of course fail but the ramifications of such global failure will be disastrous. This my friend is the end of human history albeit the death of it. The great twilight of humanity itself.

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby Gloominary » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 am

@Merlin

I've come to the conclusion over the years that people like me are a minority or living anomaly amongst the majority of people who have been indocrinated to embrace pitiful philosophies and ideologies by comparison as salvation surrogates. Most people embrace pathetic various forms of thinking and there's nothing you or I can do about it. Minorities are nothing in the face of a ignorant and arrogant majority even if they have a firmer grasp on things. I've eventually given up trying to change things or attract like minded individuals even more so that there are so very few of us around. It's all very futile. If it's any constellation you are the only individual I've met thus far whose thinking is almost as identical to mine.

Yea your thinking is definitely different, few take anarchism or nihilism as seriously as you do.
My views are very nuanced, and mutating, and while I would say I have anarchistic and nihilistic tendencies, I find both these concepts too simplistic to sufficiently encapsulate my views
Lately I've been quite taken with the word need, perhaps you could say I'm a needist.
I hope to articulate my views on needism in the coming weeks on this forum whenever I have time and energy.

Western civilization is dying in more ways than one and it only exists in some small rudimentary form now due to borrowed time. This will become more apparent in the next fifty years as time goes by. This will however not end with western civilization as all civilizations across the planet have inherited the disease of western progressivism.

I completely agree.

An extinction event is very possible for humanity within the next hundred years and there probably won't be any meaningful way to avert it. Even if the natural world takes back the artificial construct we've created there is still hundreds of nuclear cores all around the planet that left unattended would flood the entire planet with toxic radiation. The entire planet would eventually become a toxic radiation wasteland choking out all existence of life as we know it.

Interesting point, I haven't heard that one about all the nukes being left lying around, and the implications of that, as they gradually disintegrate, what conundrums man has created for himself all in the name of science, technology and progress.
Reminds me of that old adage about the road to hell.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Humanity has vastly, vastly overestimated its capacity to alter nature for the better.

I'm at the point where I am wondering if any kind of recovery is even remotely possible or whether humanity will even survive years into the future. I'm still an anarchist ideally and a nihilist however pessimistically I'm an anarchist that understands anarchism isn't even remotely possible anymore as we've destroyed that opportunity. Anarchism is an opportunity lost and I wonder if it will be an opportunity that we can ever regain. The alternative of totalitarian government in all its various forms of course is no solution or something to settle for either. It's all a giant clusterfuck.

While anarchism is not my main interest philosophically right now, I have some ideas about how one might go about rekindling interest in it, or something like it, something half organized, and half spontaneous.
I might share some of these ideas with you and others soon in the near future.

Starting over? Sounds nice but, how exactly would you propose such an endeavor?

I'll save that for another thread.

As for the United States it is an international corporatist hijacked nation whose military and economic power is being utilized to exploit the rest of the world in creating a global government. This project will of course fail but the ramifications of such global failure will be disastrous. This my friend is the end of human history albeit the death of it. The great twilight of humanity itself.

Agreed, it will almost certainly fail, and then we'll be left with the aftermath, which may be a mass extinction event.
Consumerism is sin.
Gloominary

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:44 pm

This forum is an example of anarchy.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat