Question for Manni and Shield Maiden

I bought a computer for just under 100 bucks off Amazon a few days ago, to run a 3D printer off of, but I’m trying to get it’s graphics card up to spec to handle the technical specifications of Total War, Rome 2.

This is Rome 2 specifications:
Processor:2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor. Memory: 2GB RAM. Graphics:512 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible card (shader model 3, vertex texture fetch support). DirectX®:9.0c.

This is what the computer supposedly is, they are all over the place in terms of listing the cpu, listing it different in three places, but I’m okay so long as it makes minimum. I’m mostly worried about the graphics card:

(I know it says Pentium D, people who got it says ADM Processor two years back, that isn’t too important, I can afford a i3 upgrade if need be, think he periodically updates this page, I did contact him, says it’s a Pentium Duo Core).

So I’m on the wall with the graphics card. It doesn’t support the verticle processes jigger majigger stuff, but the description for the x1000 series says it does get around doing this via other calculations. I’m guessing no, but I’ll try either way:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IOWAE … 3483895928

About this item
Features
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHz CPU, 160GB Sata Hard Drive
Windows Professional 32Bit.
Microsoft is discontinuing offering Windows 7; this product will be installed with either Windows 7 or Windows 10.
4GB of DDR2 RAM, Sata DVD player
Dell 19-Inch LCD Monitor (models may vary)
Product Information
Summary
Screen Size 19 inches
Processor Pentium D
RAM 4 GB
Hard Drive 160 GB
Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon X1300 Pro
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 8
Other Technical Details
Brand Name Dell
Series Optiplex
Item model number 745
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 7;Windows 10
Product Dimensions 13.5 x 12.3 x 3.6 inches
Item Dimensions L x W x H 13.5 x 12.35 x 3.65 inches
Processor Count 2
Computer Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM

Now I know this sucks as a computer, etc etc… All I need from it is to pull off operating a few cutting machines and printers, do some translation work, and ideally, pull off playing this game. Once my cash flow increases, I can just buy a real computer, but that can be several months. I wanna play now.

What is the cheapest cost effective route to go in terms of a decent graphics card ($70 or less) that is compatible with this computer? I’ll be buying off EBay or Amazon.com

Also for Shield Maiden, what does Kangaroo and Wallaby shit look like?

No graphic card will be compatible with that computer. It is so old it is pre historic.

Answer to second question, look in your toilet bowl and study your own evacuation, as I am sure you do on a daily? basis, perhaps three day basis considering your diet.

Don’t care if it is prehistoric, just want a graphics card for it.

No graphics card will be compatible with it, because it is a dinosaur.

You wasted $100 bucks.

If don’t believe me, go to a computer shop and ask them.

I have dinosaur graphics cards, one might be an improvement. What ports do you have, definitely have AGP cards?

It’s coming in the mail, ordered it a few days ago.

I know I gotta look to see if it’s 6 or 8 prong, and the Watts. About all I grasp.

Space issues too, I can’t look inside till then.

why are you people so broke, don’t you ever save money?

I do, I spend it all on more important machinery.

So… Trixie said your the smartest and wisest person on the site, most virtuous and willing to help.

What graphics card?

Impulsive purchasing is never a good thing, turd, you must be a sucker during the sales season.

Just send it back, amazon are pretty good at refunding, then put the money towards something better…why put yourself through all the fuss? Personally i’m not a big gamer, but i did somewhat recently buy a base unit, 6 core, nvidia 700 series, 16g ram…it’s not the best of machines but it plays most games fine…I play quake, wow and some old games on emulation.

No, I needed a dedicated computer for my machines. I’m keeping this.

What graphics card?

Dunno, ask Trix, he is more experienced with the gaming side of computers since he does make games, so i would imagine he could be helpful…but I would advise him against helping you because this would only encourage you to waste your life even more playing Total War, which will turn you into Ricardo Lopez, the lazy bastard who became obsessed with Bjork, and later killed himself after he found out she was dating somebody else…

youtube.com/watch?v=zUwXLNK6gOo

P.s please swallow your pride and admit you made a mistake buying it and send it back.

Hurry up and get a good computer so we can play games on steam together :slight_smile:

I’m doubting I’ll be in a position to play online, this computer will eventually end up in a storage garage powered by a generator off the back of a van. It’s gonna be a few years before wireless internet matches wired internet in terms of speed and unlimited gigabytes, my phone plan only has a 8 gig hotspont, and I haven’t really been into shooting games since N64. I played the first few Halo games, but never had to buy a X-Box.

No, total war is good, I’ll be able to make a guide to Ascledciodotus and Onasander through it, maybe even Vegetius and the Stratigikon, perhaps some late works after I get a laptop or tablet down the road that can pull off Attila or Charlemagne.

Your processor is what’s the trouble.
Core 2 Duo 2.3 ghz is garb, almost as bad as my 10 year old laptop if not worse.

The age of the computer, and manufacturer, are the most important qualities. Computers made by HP often have heatsink problems, But are practically invincible. Newer computers with the same architecture as older incarnations, will generally run faster due to nuances and upgrades in manufacturing factory protocols. However, I still would not buy a computer with only 1 gb of RAM even it was an i7 made in 2016. As a computer ages, its parts wear out, much like a car. That is why the superiority of organic tissue is needed for high level warmachines, purely metal mechs just don’t cut it. Japanese are highly intelligent and not taboo of genetics like Americans. That is why in Metal Gear Solid the warmachines use organic legs for movement.

So my verdict is, Do not even bother with the videocard, doubt it will even be compatible, and processors are as important to run games as videocards are if not more so. But if that computer was made in 2016, you might have a chance for it working out, as opposed to buying a used junker.

If it was made in 2016, it’s 50/50. If its a used junker don’t even bother.

I want a old video card capable of running this game. Why can’t anyone just state a cost effective card. I don’t need a i7, will not wait another year, I just want a realistic graphics card that would carry this game, and run a lathe, vinyls cutter, 3-D printer, and make images of Gib running around Canada holding bags of dick.

The game is the hardest part. I can afford a i3 upgrade, but would much rather have a graphics card. I don’t need to do anything else on a computer. I don’t need to be cool. I dont need to do the most cutting edge thing ever. Just need a old model, compatible graphics card that is a improvement for this computer, that will work well, and is cheap. I’ve seen dome on Amazon.com for $30 bucks, just don’t know what to get.

I’m not trying to be a computer programmer, but a product designer. I don’t need something amazing for your tasks, but my own. I’m not under any circumstance returning this.

As a bonus, if I get this game working, I will be too bust to post for the most part for months. Be as if I was banned almost… but only if this game works.

Try the onboard videocard, if that runs too laggy, Just about any 30 dollar GeForce or ATI will do. The important thing to note is, the 6000 of a GeForce refers to the generation it was made, and the 100 refers to it’s evolution. So a Geforce 6800 will be better than a 7100, but worse than a 7600.

Second thing is, Programmers should use low end computers to maximize compatibility, not high end ones that half the gamers don’t use.

You can tell what is videocard lag (videocard problems) as opposed to CPU lag (Processor) as opposed to RAM lag.

If you are in a 3D game and look around with the mouse and it lags based on what direction you look, you have a weak videocard.
If you are in a 3D game and your computer fan starts running hot and it appears to have a “lag switch” that turns on and off unrelated to the mouselook, you have a weak processor.
If you are in a 3D game and it takes a long time to load, or stutters often, you have weak RAM.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CLBZA … ref=plSrch

I might upgrade to a CPU like that one, in the $70 range. Seems much faster than a i3, but I’m not sure how to guage my needs right now with a video card to a the electrical balancing of the wattage of the PC, to planning a card not that bad for when I eventually upgrade to a CPU akin to this, able to easily run Total War Attila or Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebellion.

I know there us a way to chart a balance between these. Might even have to buy a PC Tower and use these parts in it (they run cheap).

Economy of each buy vs future needs, each buy makes older purchases look weak, I want the least amount of dissapointment. I can only afford $30-$70 purchases per pay, and that’s for anything other than food or rent. I can do that per paycheck. I don’t want a CPU worth $140 if I have no need for one, makes no economic sense, if a $70 or below one works fantastic for my needs.

r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjTK … zYdL1_hAc-
r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjTK … iFkcdNc1Y-

It is more risky to upgrade a CPU than a GPU. Videocards have easy access slots and require less compatibility of the motherboard.

However, Videocards have 3 forms, PCI, PCIe, and AGP. PCI is the worst and PCIe is the best. If you buy an AGP it will not fit into a PCI slot.