Serendipity made me blart like a babby

I still have unexpected problems in my speech. I can’t guess how a word is pronounced at all if it has a foreign language origin. Before every philosophy group meeting I would have, I would just watch a few hours of discussion on the subject to hear the words pronounced before going in, and once in a while would still get odd stares. I don’t link ideas to definitions, just points without words. I have that narrator voice in my head going nonstop, but umm… there is also a silence in ideas I link to. Concepts for me aren’t dictionary based. Seems that way for everyone else. Not visual either.

Do you dream mainly in words or pictures?

Both, I seem to have the maximum extent possible for dream scales, I brought this up on a typology forum, some of the best people I knew were on that site. I think it’s a INTJ potential, but even then the others INTJs didn’t have the scope of lucid awareness. I have a few limitations, can’t fly anywhere, I get stuck flying like it is a roller coaster, in a single track, and I can fall over backwards against my will and my head drag on the ground to my frustration, but that’s a OCD trait. OCD issues are the main limitation to my dreaming, as it opposes absurd physics in my dreams I invariably rebel against, to the point of waking up in sleep paralysis.

I can feel temperatures, read, write, touch, etc at times in dreams, see colors, realistic scenery. Many can’t.

While obviously containing no visual dimension my dreams tend to be pretty vivid too, and involve all the other senses. Sometimes lucid, unless that’s an illusion and just part of the dream.

No, even then that’s lucid. You can be both simultaneously, I’ve had dreams lucid where I’m watching myself have a not so lucid dream.

Also, I’ve said this before, your cranial nerves are still intact. You may damn well experience activity of “colors” and have absolutely no comprehension you are. I suspect in a couple years once you get to first experience them, you’ll be damned stump in regards to what red is once it is stimulated in you, and they say your experiencing red. You’ll just look at them like they are insane and nothing changed. Likely take months before it dawns on you what we’re talking about. I learn colors via seeing and touching, spent my toddler years learning this. I don’t think it is something you grasp right away, especially when the brain tissue around these nerveways have been dedicated to other things over the years. I don’t think you can lose the neural capacity to “see” however, short of some severe unrelated issues to the rear of the brain that has nothing to do with your eye issue. Just won’t be as robust, and of course without eyes, largely academic to you. Would it matter to you discovering you dreamed colors on occasion if you’ve never directly associated them to anything visually, ever? Be meaningless to me.

I’ve had CT scans. My visual cortex is inactive, apparently. Whether it would be theoretically possible to do so is somewhat academic, as you say. But rest assured, no one is ever going to stick a wire or laser in my head!

It would certainly matter to me, as I would love to know what colours look like. Or in fact anything, really.

Technology already exists, it is non evasive, would cost just under $2000.

Would be a pain in the ass to train you.

Technology for what, allowing me to see?

Yes, was designed for controlling objects mentally actually. The Emotive Headset.

emotiv.com

The headsets are only a few hundred dollars, but designed for sighted people in mind, you look at a object and interprete manipulating it via brain waves.

The under $2000 cost comes from a sighted person doing the rest, their brainwaves recorded, and some think akin to the neuralprogrammer3 playing audio of my brain waves as you go through color wheels, and then manipulating it, with negative audio stimuli whenever your doing it haptically.

It would take a long ass while to get you to see a image of a cube in your imagination instead of just a haptic sense, but luckily you can check to see the difference between haptic and visual brain waves.

The programmer equipment for neuroprogrammer tech is rather expensive, used can cost between $500 to $1500, plus wired skull caps.

Teach you how to visualize a rubics cube you’ve never physically seen. If I and others can see “Red”, we can just keep annoying you till you imagine it. I’m not sure that is particularly thrilling from my perspective, but it can certainly be done. Like I said, you’ll mostly just be dissapointed with it though, seeing imaginatively isn’t like seeing visually. I imagine a lot of sweat and frustration involved, with a anti-climactic end.

Emotiv Headsets
NeuroProgrammer3 + admin hardware
Skull caps for recording brainwaves

It isn’t futuristic, it exists now. Just wasn’t conceived in thus way by others.

I don’t think we can just “beam” the image with a reconfiguration of a emotiv headset for people like you, you never seen shit before. If I lost my eyes cause they got poked out in a Three Stooges moment, I would know instantly if it was working or not. You just never seen. Even if we got a positive certain feedback you were seeing via a camera on your helmet, I don’t you would be aware for weeks, if not months. Just feel fuzzy to you, like a tingle. What I’m guessing. I’m certain you will see someday, sooner than later, also certain it will be a utter pain in the ass to learn. I don’t think you’ll Puck up on depth perception at all, you won’t be allowed to drive, etc. Digital cameras, even the best are horrid at picking up optical illusions as humans experience them.

Ok, that does look interesting, but it still relies on my visual cortex suddenly starting to work with no actual imput. Or does it?

Now, talking about cubes, or any shape, I have a very strong sense of this already. It’s not haptic, if I understand haptic correctly as being the sense of touch, because that’s a different sense entirely, though obviously I can imagine it equally clearly. What I’m talking about is a spatial sense. Say the word “triangle”, for example, and one instantly pops into my head.

Yeah, we would have to use purely conditioned learning, hence the negative reinforcement when you keep getting it wrong. I would have to ensure your not merely looking at it haptically, that when I or anyone else see red, repeatedly on a color wheel, whatever the shape applied to it, your brainwaves conform. You would have to then visualize a test, like navigating a color maze, having it described, and you making the controller on your head push through the maze.

Eventually, we will know if your walking through a maze with a red floor, left wall yellow, or just sensing it haptically. Ever more complex 3D formula can process it.

There was a blind philosopher in antiquity who wrote on geometry in Egypt, but it isn’t known if he did it visually or haptically, given geometric rules can be done via algerbra in either case.

Perhaps he did it in the same way as I can imagine shapes, which is certainly not an unusual skill, but is neither visual nor tactile.

Might actually be tactile and you do t realize it. Idiot savants learn best via tactile stimulation, it’s something I’ve had difficulty figuring out in psychological typography in how people are thinking. You font necessarily gotta touch a damn thing, just remember doing so, and that triggers a sequence of events, non of which s external observer sees touching occurring.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didymus_the_Blind

You may be right about it being tactile in origin. Sound is involved too, for example in echo location, but this is with regard to large shapes, such as rooms, that I’m inside.

Anyway, talking of shapes, it’s time for me to assume a reclining form and crash out. Night.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molyneux’s_problem

Okay, night.

From a girls perspective I can see the romantic notion of this. But only if she had more than a slight interest in that man to start with. And if she did have more than a slight interest to start with, it’s hard to imagine she would not pursue him by finding away to be near him much sooner.

From a guy’s perspective, restraining order. I wish life was like the movies, too. In real life, the woman has to measure how her rejection will affect a man who has pined that long. In real life, she’s asking herself, how did he find me? Has he been following me in some way this entire time? She labors over those questions, perceiving any possible threat. It has very little to do with the quality or the nature of his feelings for her, since she comes first.

This is the double edged sword of the movies. We watch to escape the pains of life for 2 hours. While at the same time, some movies promote white lies about life, and with enough repetition, cause pain over ideals in the life returned to. =;

After the restraining order, the guy will probably want to kill himself. And the woman will begin looking for a male roommate.

+++One reason that Molyneux’s Problem could be posed in the first place is the extreme dearth of human subjects who gain vision after extended congenital blindness. Alberto Valvo estimated that fewer than twenty cases have been known in the last 1000 years.+++

A pretty depressing statistic.

As for the problem itself, nice to see that after hundreds of years of posing a theoretical question, with apparently no way of answering it, somebody took the trouble to actually do it.

In the film, though, Kate Beckinsale’s character also pined after the guy, in equal measure.

She was a douche. A very attractive and most pleasant douche.

And here’s a Lifetime version: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=PeZ8xLKXbJI