X-Mas Presents

Mongoose got me the book Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. She knows that’s one of my favorite writers.

Just need to acquire the books Man In The Iron Mask and Count Of Monte Cristo now. :slight_smile:

We’re opening some presents up early this year.

The Count of Monte Cristo was my all-time favorite for quite some time.

I love that book, a childhood favorite.

“There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life.
" Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope.”
― Alexandre Dumas

Profound…

I also loved A Tale of Two Cities…read it twice in grade school.

But then I fell in love with Fyodor…

My favorite portion of the book was the years he spent in prison. The warden of the prison was quite the character. Everybody likes a book revolving around revenge.

Dostoyevsky is also another favorite writer of mine.

I stopped reading it when I saw everything improved for him. I have this memory of him being ready to charge or rescue someone captive in a public square. I was like… quit while the going is good, don’t know how this will turn out.

I recently saw a modern version of the story. In this version you could actually understand and somewhat sympathize with the people who set the protagonist up. It’s about unfairness in life or classism, too. (the protagonist is from upper class family with connections) Some have a pedigree and family in high positions, so they are on a fast track to success in life from the very beginning. They are surrounded by people who support them and encourage them. Others cannot get as high up in life now matter how much they try. I’m mean, the bad guys were pretty shitty people, no doubt, but in a way you could understand how their way of dealing with life came about, they were desperate and they saw this as the only way forward. And naturally nobody sympathizes with them or cares to understand them because nobody really cares for somebody who’s nobody. For some, life is pretty harsh and merciless and they learn to act in kind. In this version, the guy was sent into a psychiatric/political prison and the shrink was one of the inmates (psychiatrist) whom the warden let out to be in charge of medical care in prison. Anyway, it kind of makes me think…with that kind of revenge, aren’t you punishing the same people twice? :-k

Books, video games, and great food, what else can a guy ask for? :wink:

Shoes, mini blanket, $20, someone pooped a Kitty Turd on my pillow.

Cats shitting on your pillows? That’s funny.

Not cats, just a cat, though none of them seem inclined to say who did it, so they all get punished. Hope they like their tangy lemonade today.

Tangy lemonade as punishment?

I meant pee pee.

And no, I didn’t actually piss in the water bowl. Am in the mood to do it, but I didn’t.

A heated ceramic plug-in hair brush, and a pair of silver dangling pink-crystal-bauble earrings… from my sister, and a super-soft and very wide H&M pashmina scarf, and a candle-filled advent calendar… from two of my niece-in-laws.

I will make use of them all…

I’m impressed, I wouldn’t even know what to do with them.

Come now Turd… I’m sure you know how to wear a dangling pink-crystal-bauble earring. You are amongst friends here, you know :wink:

What I meant is… I will make an effort to use/wear those gifts, as I have a large array of wardrobe items that I just do not wear… the local charity shops will be ecstatic soon, as they are merely clutter and nothing more.

When I was a child, my parents would allot X amount of dollars for me, my brother and three sisters. Then we would all pour through the Montgomery Wards catalogue and pick our own gifts. No surprises on Christmas morning, but at least we always got exactly what we wanted.

And nary a word about the birth of Christ.

Joker gifted me with a new coffee maker! I love it! The prettiest, most plush red blanket, a winter scarf, and a promise to get my ears pierced soon.

The best gift of all was his excitement and joy throughout the holiday that I was able to share in. :romance-heartbeating: :romance-kisslips:

:sad-teareye:

Happy tear, not a sad one.
Seize the Christmas Moment, you two – all year around.

And as Tiny Tim said – God Bless Us, Everyone.