Looking inside an obese body

Obesity: The Post Mortem - A BBC Documentary
youtube.com/watch?v=RLu_hdlWUkI

Fascinating, I mean, just taking a peek inside a body and seeing how everything sits in there. I wish they also did one on a drug addict, an alcoholic and a chronic smoker too. Maybe look at their brains too, especially of substance abusers.

(Warning: it’s graphic)

Oh, I thought you were posting pics.

Bit misleading.

You couldn’t hear the crunching sounds of the ribcage with pictures.

(So next time I do a CPR and break the ribs, I’ll have an idea what it would sound like)

You can do CPR through the stomach, upwards compressions, rib cage won’t break. The old man I watch at night in his 90s, his whole family was in the medical profession as nurses or as pharmacists, except him. He has a bad fear of being left alone, and of death. They told me not to administer CPR or call the paramedics unless his wife upstairs insisted, and I said I wouldn’t just sit around and watch him die, but they said all that occurs when you go CPR to a old man is his ribs break, and at that age they never heal and live miserably for a few weeks more, then die.

So I found the Stomach based CPR Method. I’ll be damned if he dies when I’m around without even trying to save him.

This would be further from the heart, and there is a greater chance of aspiration if you’re pushing on the stomach. You’d also need to push harder. You might have to consider possible damage to nearby organs, like liver.

But I guess it’s better than nothing (or maybe not, it depends). broken ribs vs. vomit in lungs + bruised/damaged liver? Maybe invest into AED?

I read it is safer, more efficient, and has a higher success rate actually.

Interesting, I’ll look into it. I’m curious, if it has a higher success rate, why isn’t it widely recognized yet? AHA recently changed the breath-to-compression rate because pumping more blood had a higher success rate. If that is also true for only rhythmic abdominal compression (OAC-CPR) why is it not accepted practice yet?

Conservatism, the slow rate of the scientific process within medicine. Ranger Battalion isn’t pushing it yet.

If the military looks at a combat first aid practice, and a Ranger Medic (rarely actual Ranger Medics inventing these ideas, they just come across the concept) likes it over current practices that regular troops are trained in first aid for, they will adopt it, train the Airborne in it (they are our most elite airborne light infantry battalion). A lot of medical practices enter the US Mainstream by a couple of snotnose paramedics who are athletic enough to get in.

Another route is hospital ERs. They are allowed a higher level of experimentation given the absurdity and high risk for eminent lethality many patients face if traditional methods are used. They get some leeway.

What checks a whole hospital from going over is insurance, insurance isn’t adverse to innovation, but innovation doesn’t have a predictable statistical rate for success. Malpractice suits can be a bitch, it is safer just to let people break ribs using a process with clear acceptance in the courts.

We have studies, not a lot of studies, like normal CPR dies. I don’t believe most trainers are opposed to teaching the technique, just, CPR is still the go to standard. I wouldn’t do it to certain kinds of patients or injuries obviously.

I do believe we will change over, I encourage knowing both.

Looks like a comparative study has been made and one of the main conclusions that was reached is that OAC-CPR, in its current form, does not provide enough blood flow to the head.

[u]Comparison of CPR outcome predictors between rhythmic abdominal compression and continuous chest compression CPR techniques[/u]

emj.bmj.com/content/31/5/394

Also (same study),

docs.lib.purdue.edu/dissertations/AAI1501851/

It’s seems rather odd to me that for being so well-versed in biomedical engineering, Leslie Geddes (the proponent) did not foresee this side effect of OAC-CPR method himself. Perhaps he thought it was enough. It’s too bad he’s dead now.

youtube.com/watch?v=YIuo80XVFJ8

I’ll look it over tonight or in the morning, still have no choice by to use it, stuff I read said it was better.

Here’s another CPR method (don’t worry, I have my CPR card) :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=d45HkjY1pTI

But seriously, I was trying to find out why AOC-CPR is recommended for use only in a hospital setting, and my guess was that in a hospital setting, you can force pure oxygen, making this method more effective, I mean, if getting oxygen to the brain is the issue with this method. But the studies I’ve found are conflicting on this matter. In terms of ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) pure oxygen and atmospheric oxygen had about the same success rates.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19520479

Moreover, there is a possibility of potential brain damage due to oxidative stress (hyperoxia in the brain) when pure oxygen is administered after CA:
kevinmd.com/blog/2010/06/sup … ation.html

The Oxygen Paradox in CPR:

signavitae.com/2010/09/the-r … scitation/

This really sounds like walking a fine line. To add to this confusion, what are the implications of these studies on hyperbaric therapy for heart ischemia and brain damage after CA? Something does not seem to be adding up here. Back to the drawing board.

It isn’t back to the drawling boarg for me, I only effectively have this method to use on the elderly, the ischemic cascade or not be damned. The case of my charge being the obvious case, but I’m not gonna go about breaking elderly people’s ribcages open either. They don’t recover too well from that.

Have you ever wondered why the military doesn’t go around just blinding people, instead of killing them? We have the technology, at least since the 80s, the eyes reflect just like cameras do at set light frequencies, we can easily detect when someone is looking at our optics and burn their retinas. We don’t, because the side effects are catastrophic to a country. Instead of losing 10,000 guys in a batlle- always shockingly terrible, and then moving on with morning, remarriage, change of property and even a high portion of widows remarrying… A state that just lost a war (never a cheap burden) inherits 10,000 permanently disabled welfare cases from that one battle alone. A single war could permanently Yank a nations economy, forcing it to socialize to support the bulk of it’s otherwise healthy population, living in deep and full independence. Byzantines did this once, did not seek to do it again, realizing how bad it was.

In individual cases, I may say blinding is better. I wouldn’t force it on a whole segment of society. I wouldn’t crack the ribs open on a elderly person, statistically old enough to die anyway. That is a very long term, very painful recovery, and far too many simply don’t. We don’t ask ourselves what we are doing.

His family is medical, seen the results far too many times on elderly CPR patients. My stomach CPR is a potentially viable alternative. I will keep the oxygen issue in mind, but unless someone is insisting (his wife) that I do it otherwise, I’m instructed to just let him pass naturally. I won’t, I’ll give it a serious shot with this alternative- but dammit, the guy is 90 something now. He lives at this point pretty much to go to McDonalds each day and eat a cheeseburger (not my choice, don’t say no) and watch Hogan’s Heroes. I don’t know if he us aware at this point if they are reruns anymore. I’m not seeing the point of putting him through catastrophic hell of smashing in his rib cage just to claim I tried to save a life, if a alternative method could potentially save him and keep him reasonably healthy. Your not exactly providing me with a ethical alternative. Maybe in a guy my age, breaking ribs makes sense. I’m not doing it in someone who can’t take it and heal. That’s insane. We don’t see how many we loose to suffering hospital after hospital from bad CPR. It is worst than a battle. Why torture people that way? At their age, take the riskier yet more humane treatment, they can die with more dignity, or live with it. No need for their last days to be one of absolute torture just cause we say so.

Purely off memory, the Uschemic cascade is 17 steps, only up to step four is it reversable. Heart doesn’t always die when we go brain dead, it can beat for days after death (yes it can Kwiswest- fucking listen, it can) and we would be better off getting a chemical analysisvof the salt levels in the heart in these clinical cases of death when the heart won’t stop, and have special CPR lactated ringers with adrenaline mixed in with that formula.