Social media difficulty

I don’t know whether this thread is absurd or not, if it is, please ignore this thread.

I sometimes experience a “social media difficulty”, I do not know whether anyone else experience it or not. Let me explain: I 'm a quite introverted person, my greatest hobbies are reading, watching documentaries, jogging and playing computer games. (as you can see, these are all “lone wolf hobbies", that is, those hobbies are often done by a loner)

Many other people like using social media software to chat and get social, but I do not like social media, for example, when I chat with someone via a social media software, I often feel I 'm chatting with a robot, I do not feel I 'm chatting with a real person, because when I chat with someone via Facebook or something, I cannot see his or her body language and face, when he or she send me an “smile” emoji I do not “feel” that person is really smiling because I cannot see that person’s face, but when I chat with a really person, I can see his face, I can feel his emotions and I even can feel his body warmth, so I find chatting with Facebook or WeChat so fake. But the thing is nowadays lots of people use those software to make friends. On the one hand, I wish I could make some friends via those social media software, but on the other hand, I do not like chatting with Facebook or WeChat or any other software.

Another example: There are some social media software like “Meetup” that allows individual users to design and launch their own social event, I want to use the software like “meetup” to launch a local philosophy chat club in a local park, but when I actually take action to use it I feel uncomfortable: firstly, I do not used to using those social media software, secondly as a lone wolf type of person it is not in my nature to design and organize a social event. I feel much comfortable of reading by myself or playing computer games by myself. As a result, I procrastinate to take actions to use the social media to create the chat club.

Did you experience something similar? Can it be overcame?

Same here. I prefer cuddling and whispering in ears. Texting is so impersonal, robotic even.

Agree, but sadly nowadays there is less and less chances to “cuddling and whispering in ears”.

Modernity, manginas, and feminism in a nutshell.

They will not be satisfied until we are all asexual robots and wageslaves devoid of life and souls in our bones.

hey above us only sky,

I like your meetup idea! Meeting up with people who share a common interest, like philosophy, is a great way to make friends. I think I know how you feel about organizing the event, though. I also understand what it’s like to tend towards introversion and lone wolf hobbies. So, instead of organizing your own philosophy club, you could join one that already exists and fits your style. All you’d have to do is show up. That’s the hardest part. So just remind yourself that no matter how it turns out, the experience will be valuable, and, of course, that no friends will be made by staying in by yourself.

Although people do sometimes make good friends online, that is rare and often more fleeting. Most friends who chat through social media are friends because they have a relationship in person.

If you want to try making friends through social media, over Facebook chat or whatever, move toward making plans to meet up in person. Go for a hike, attend a lecture / concert / movie together, play a game, or just meetup for lunch, dinner, breakfast, or coffee. Start small and casual.

Your social media difficulty can definitely be overcome. “Social” media can feel alienating even for very extroverted and social people, you’re not alone.