Total War Kingdoms

Does anyone here play Total War Kingdoms?

I have four regions, about to buy my fifth, won’t be doing anymore city building till I see the last two terrains.

I have built two farm islands, two hexs every direction in my first and second stream, and upgraded both farms to level two, but father down in my first two territories, I still have a bunch of Tier 1 farms, not on islands, but along streams. Eventually I was thinking if setting up a farm island there, and a sheep one (have my sheep fenced in by roads, largely unirrigated), but my two rivers extend outwards at different heights, and am worried that if I cut a channel from the high river to the low, everything will flood in those fields, turning it to wetlands, which I don’t want, as I have pretty dependable tree farms already in my two northern areas. I know wetlands are supposed to be great, but don’t want it cutting into my normal farming. I’m trying to get everything condensed so I can build a third rock quarry area, level 2. I’ve only got two of my southern cities upgraded to level 2, the two northern ones are level one, and I’m thinking of demolishing them to rebalance the map once I see everything.

I’m not sure how to build the rapid cataphracts I see on the map. Is it just build highest ground as the riverbanks, and then dig a little deeper, and the cataphract forms come spring? How do I ensure rivers not the same height don’t flood my terrain, I would know how to do it in real life, bit not certain of this game’s mechanics.

Also, why the fuck does it rain so much in England? I’m in my second winter, just got out if spring… just dreary rain followed by cold, it is very depressing. Only game I’ve played that intentionally tries to depress you with lousy weather. Didn’t help it rained the last few days straight here in real life, shit was really fucking with me, I got tired to listening to the rain outside, so put my headphones on… What do I hear, more fucking rain. Nothing but fucking rain. Fuck England.

The weather is real depressing, and that’s why we are always looking for something that’s a good laugh or joking about with each other, banter etc [its also good for fighting frenchies in, they tend to fall off their horses quite easily lol]. You could play the crusaders campaign, might cheer you up.

Btw the game mechanics are really bad, you’d be better off trying shogun2 ~ you can get it real cheap these days. They seem to be taking forever to get round to making medieval III.

Oh no, I’m playing the android app version, it’s free to play.

I’ve played Rome, Medieval 2, Shogun 2, The US Revolution and Napoleoic Campaigns on the larger PC versions, haven’t done Rome 2 yet (did do barbarians and Alexander for Rome 1 though).

No, the online app is here, iPhone and Facebook versions exist:

blog.twkingdom.com

Or in the app store.

I just started digging, said fuvk it, I now have three irrigated farm islands, next winter might shoe another into my area if it doesn’t flood between spring and fall.

the reviews say its an insult to tw gaming lol, and it cost real money to buy armies and lands etc. its in my steam library though, so i’ll try it out at some point.

Yeah, it’s much more economy oriented than “campaign”, and the battles aren’t anything compared, I’m capped at 9 units, cat control the movements, can’t even halt them, but I do have some tactical control, and it gives me quick three minute battles.

My winter canals are slowly, very very slowly, turning into streams once again. I dug some deep holes, hoping for fish, and the water is stuck pooling up in them, maybe in a hour I will have a lake. Looks like it mostly survived.

I didn’t spend a penny on this, after your first week, you start making gold, enough to upgrade units. You can also “craft” them, which takes a massive amount of resources. I want to get my economy positioned so I just move in 5 minutes a day, collect everything I need, so I can fight random three minute battles when I’m bored. After about two weeks, I can defeat a lot of specialized paid for armies… but I was getting killed left and right without mercy for the longest time. Now it is 50-50, some people surrender once they see my units, despite my being worried seeing them with far more elite units.

I just recommend not wasting the gold you do earn, and never ever ever do the Viking island campaigns it’s utter bullshit, it is a week long of harvesting resources, and you never keep the resources you ship, fuck if I know where it all goes, charity to the French or something.

There is also a Shogun version of this (kinda) but no economy, just units stuck in a forward push. Be awesome if I could at least halt my units, allow them to attack from the sides, but free is free.

Gotta see if my water pushed forward yet, my farm plants faster than the water flows.

Did you ever play Soviet Strike?

Not sure if there is a current version, but the game was based on the exact strategy of a real war, and I was addicted to it until completion… really made those brain cells work hard.

sinsofasolarempire.com/store

Buy and download that game Magsj. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. No need for the earlier games, it isn’t story line centric, and all the old tech exists in the newer versions. Best real time strategy game out there, it will make your IQ jump 20. Just remember to save, as the game play can go on for hours, once on a earlier version I played a thousand planet map I created (by specs, avoided looking too closely at the map), took weeks to beat. Just one level of continuous game play.

How much??? :open_mouth:

I’ll check out some footage of it and see… see if it’s for me… 20 IQ points more though, hmmmm… tempting :-k I may need them soon :laughing:

Best strategy game on the market, I can sit down with a classic text, like my much often mentioned 100 Unorthodox Strategies, and work out many of the sequential values at play.

amazon.com/One-Hundred-Unor … 0813328616

When you play games like this, you should be posing axiomatic structures from classic texts like this (Clausewitz “On War” is another good one, just be aware it’s really two books in one, scattered, his approach to writing it underwent a massive restructuring, unfinished before he died).

If you own the texts, highlight some interesting points, where a dichotomy emerges, and try to find a example in game play, or in other texts, and ask yourself how it could of gone differently, what it was you actually saw, what supported it, and what was at play.

Highly complex games like this can pull it off. In history, countries engaged in full spectrum warfare, like Rome during the various Punic Wars combined together, exploring offense and defence, projection of force, training, preservation of force and economy, intercepting lines of communication, divide and conquer, shadowing advancing armies, etc… crucial aspects to know and understand. You have to isolate and understand with great familiarity what parts if the mind are at play when your thinking of this vs that.

Then, when you watch the news, or see someone do something, you can better recognize it, predict. That’s the wise way to approach policy building. Just, only use video games for initially identifying concepts, they are artificial constructs. You should switch over to history and current affairs once identified afterwards for further understanding.

I stopped reading a long time ago.

Sure.

That’s kinda what CPC2016 was all about for me this time round, and what a round it was :open_mouth:

If I do… I would play the game then read the book.

I have known this for years, ever since you started bitching about how much harder reading ancient works on philosophy was then modern works.

Strategy isn’t a easy thing to learn, it is the hardest aspect of philosophy. Statecraft is the sub-expression of it aimed at preserving a society at extreme hardship, and making those hardships progressively dissapate over time through mechanisms that yield self awareness and a accurate awareness of others. It isn’t for most people, but if you desire to become a politician, even a minor one, it is something you need to learn in depth, as your society is dependent on the veracity of your thinking. Electing people isn’t about merely picking the most fashionable, but the ones who are the best, the very best, the ones who can best serve the primary needs of society. Everything is a luxury after survival is contemplated, if you can’t see the knives edge in politics, the wrong moves that can hurdle your people to their doom, or the steps that can bring them from the brink and keep them alive, and prospering, then you have no place in any sort of lesdership, even ad hoc, completely informal such as running from the sidewalk to help in a accident.

It is something that consumes one life, it is something that engulfs you, rearranges your personality, your priorities, how you look at the world. Doesn’t make you a war monger to know these things, a true pacifist could benefit just as much.

Point is, to play a game like this, and learn a d understand what was being said in these texts, at least some of it. Not everyone can go to west point, and not everyone has access to expert philosophers in these fields, we globally only get a handful per century around the planet of supurb quality, a few dozen of great capacity, and thousands of drones and jokes not worth listening to each year, who cause more cause than good. I gave you two texts, readily available and easy to read by not reading in whole, but in parts, in mere minutes, flipping forward and backwards in. You read it, contemplate it, try to execute it, or identify it in your game play. It is just a game, in this case a highly complex one, but still just a game. I learned this without games, I did it through a dedicated study over decades, and I’m only in my 30s. I started very young, and have a very long way to go.

You owe it to your people to understand these texts, even as a low official. Your not exactly a fountainhead of wisdom, I would seriously consider embarking on a serious study of statecraft, on how to govern, how to engadge in diplomacy, how the military works, how threats and understood and pursued, and historic mistakes. I would seek to understand men like Alexander the Great, Marlborough, Napoleon, Caesar, Mao, how they handled logistics and command and control issues, what they got right, and what others got wrong. Study leadership and management works, the basics of accounting and storage of perishable and non-perishables, how money is wasted by institutions and what the best forms of oversight is for detecting it. The kinds of crimes politicians engadge in, how they exhort one another into joining them in illegal schemes, or blackmail, or scapegoat one another, and be on my toes to keep clean, and keep them at bay. Enemies are always made in politics.

Politics isn’t just about glamour and social networking, about handing out in the right circles. One needs a strong instinct for these things, and if your lacking in it, you need to learn it, fast. We live in a brutal, hostile universe. Your primary task is to keep the worst of it at bay so society can progress and flourish. If you don’t have this awareness, then the part your responsible for, your office, will stagnant, bringing everyone around you down, however good or pure your intentions are. One the one hand, remember the golden rule and love your people, all people, in in the other hand weild a sword, knowing such telelogical awareness isn’t as cherished to others, who only mean your people harm and no good. This learning should be a lifetime activity, and it should weigh very heavy on the soul. It is that crucial.

Lol, yeah… you cussed me plenty for that one, but I can’t stand repetition, and the entire text was in triplicate.

That text did to my reading what that anaesthetic did to my allergy… screw it up :neutral_face:

Will reply fully when I’m back from buying balloons and bunting.

Fuck the balloons, download the book and game, read a random section and hunt it down in game play, or research it conceptually in another civilization in another era, or find a example in current events, or the mentions of a modern philosopher. There ain’t no bunting in philosophy.

:laughing:
…but there are balloons and bunting at a 13 year old’s birthday party.

I haven’t looked into the game… or the book… yet, so I don’t know if I’m interested in them yet or in taking on the expense… as I’m attempting to be frugal and not flippant for the first time in many many years, and you’re messing with my frugality Turd. :angry:

Will check reviews, intros etc. now, and get back to you :wink: