Playing with Your Food - Texas Fried Oatmeal

Everything that you consume is a medicine. Only animals and children eat only for the sensation. B3 is primarily a periphery blood flow concern (one of the highest issues in the USA). Who actually likes the flavor of flax seed? Not many. It isn’t there for the flavor.

There is no such thing as a “healthy meal” except for a fantasized average person of a particular age, gender, race, and national location who consumes only particular other items at a specific average rate while getting a specified amount of exercise and shelter from his environment. Some people sense what they eat, most people pay too little attention. It would be wise to take the time to know your food, water, and air … well … unless you are the panicky, anxious type.

So how much is enough of … whatever? For you it is certainly different than for me. Good children attend to what they “should do”. Good adults attend to what needs doing. And what needs doing tends to be a lot different than what one “should do”. What should you eat? Depends … who’s child are you? What needs doing? Depends … what is your real situation?

Meal’s serve a purpose. The end goal of which is MIJOT.

I merely asked you for the taste of Niacin because you mentioned it in connection with spices.

Personally, I like to keep my diet very simple. Not many ingredients, not many spices and balanced, trying to minimize the things I don’t know. I found that this is best for me and my health. I agree with you that cooking should take time, but unfortunately that is not always possible, and before I eat fast food, I rather don’t eat at all. Your recipes, especially the oatmeal, are very rich and I was surprised that one likes to eat that already for breakfast.

What is MIJOT? Maybe you can give me a link, if it’s too much to explain.

The taste to the tongue is a bit like a very mild salt and opposite to potassium (if that registers :slight_smile:)

Most certainly minimize the things that you don’t know. And the fewer spices the better when trying to keep your body clean. But when trying to make adjustments in the world, there is something called the “Spell of Changing” (perhaps you have heard of it from films or books). The spell of changing requires complexity and a degree of obfuscation. Through the obfuscation of changing tastes, harmonious adjustments can be made to preferred tastes. Old habitual preferences can be gradually adjusted without offending in incumbent (conservatives can be made into liberals and vsvrsa).

Sounds good to me.

Well, I call it “dense”, “extreme protein” (especially if you leave out the potatoes). It isn’t rich in the sense of having the typical greasy fats. And the spicing is always up to the situation. If you are dealing with heart issues, herbs like thyme, turmeric, ginger, paprika, cinnamon, garlic and cayenne are good to have in the meals. Oils from flax seed and olives are essential for blood health. When dealing with health issues, simple is the best place to start, but you can’t always stay there … seldom. The modern world, being of a demanding of change world, doesn’t like to let things stay simple. Changes are made in the midst of the confusion, unobserved. Keeping things simple keeps things obvious - harder to blame-shift. It is a very nasty thing to do to unsuspecting populations, but is quite fitting within one’s own domain - one’s own body.

There times to keep it clean and simple and times to get down and dirty. Switching back and forth is the best way to live. You sleep then wake, work then rest, eat then fast… The body, in fact even the universe itself, wasn’t made to be a constant, mundane existence. Flowers must seed.

Remember the title to this thread: Playing … … with Your Food… :wink:

Sorry, MIJOT is one of my own terms. I speak of it often on this site:
Maximum Integral of Joy Over Time

It is the calculation of the amount of joy acquired over a life time - a measure of your harmony, anentropy, and the purpose of your life. A MIJOT diary is merely a daily diary of how much joy experienced through that day (to be add up over the years to obtain the maximum obtainable for someone like oneself in ones particular situation).

Should one use tomato past in the pot roast sauce?
Hmm…

I would use chopped tomatoes in any kind of stew, as I find that the stew becomes infused with the taste of tangy tomato paste, which spoils the individualness of each flavour making up the whole… for me and my tastebuds anyway, but some might like that :confusion-shrug:

Hmm…
Well, I just found that Martha Stewart recommends tomato past (2 tbpns) :astonished:

But I can see what you mean. Tomato paste is pretty pervasive.

I have an acquaintance without a Christmas dinner lined up. So I thought I’d take a little time to put together a pot roast (never made one before).

Do tell if you added the paste over tomatoes… or not, but I’d still say not - paste should be relegated to pasta sauces and pizzas :stuck_out_tongue:

3 lb roast,
4 medium potatoes,
4 large carrots
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
1 cup red wine (Lambrusco)
2 cup beef broth
8 tbsps 3n1 oil and butter
4 tbsps cracked flax seed
2 tbsps tomato sauce (didn’t have any tomatoes on hand)
black pepper, sea salt, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, oregano

Going to also whip up some gravy, garlic butter asparagus, kale salad (apple sauce dressing), red wine to go with it.

… and butter flake rolls :sunglasses:

Dayyyyummm…

The meat turned out grrrreat. The gravy … not so much. So I shredded a little of the meat into the gravy … made all the difference. Asparagus (not my favorite veggie) seems to need something more than merely garlic and butter :confused: .
And I forgot about dessert, so along the way, against my normal principles, I picked up a ready made sweet potato pie. But I suspect the Lambrusco was appreciated most.

And the tomato paste didn’t overpower anything. I suspect it could have used twice as much, just to be noticed.

One must wonder why it is that a city can have so many “for the homeless” programs (mostly due to Christian churches) and yet have so very few prevention programs for such a disease. The real answer to that is easy to figure out, but … … it’s Christmas. :occasion-santa:

Having made 4 times more pot roast gravy than I needed, I kept a little and tried adding some of it to my fried oatmeal … WOW!! … GREAT!!

But for those who have already managed to become vegan:

Kale Salad
• 2 cups chopped sweet kale
• 2 cups chopped spinach
• 2 cups chopped lettuce
• 2 finely diced large carrots
• 2 chopped celery stalks
• 4 diced Romano tomatoes
• 4 diced leek leaves (or equivalent sweet yellow onion)
• 1/2 cup feta cheese (excluded for the pure veganist).
• 1/4 cup raisins
• 1/4 cup walnuts
• 3 tbsps wheatgerm

And the dressing:
• 1/2 cup apple sauce
• 1/8 cup vinegar
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tsps sugar (or equivalent sweetener)
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp crushed cayenne
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder

A soup for extremely low calorie diets and sore throats:

• Chicken bouillon, 4 cups (preferably sodium free)
  • Garlic, powder 1/4 tsp
  • Onion, powder 1/2 tsp
  • Arugula, 5 oz, lemon or vinegar soaked to remove bitterness
  • Watercress, 5 oz, lemon or vinegar soaked to remove bitterness
  • Bok choy, 1 cup chopped
  • Cayenne pepper, tad
  • Taco sauce, 1 tbsp
  • Barbecue sauce, tsp

Boil Arugula with the bouillon, spices. Add chopped bok choy and watercress afterward so as to preserve nutrients and texture.

If less calorie conscious; water chestnuts, chopped onion, celery, zucchini, and/or shirataki noodles can be added. And to round out to a more substantial meal, ground flaxseed.

Only time I was there, they served me a 5 pound steak. Free if I finished it.
I call this “Texas Hypotheticals”.

Thats quite a brew.

But surprisingly tasty.

Actually, I woke up with a sore throat this morning, and when I saw that recipe I felt addressed and decided to try it out, although I don’t like soups very much. And the ingredients seemed strange to me. Arugula I only knew as salad, Taco- and Barbecue sauce I never used before and Bok choy wasn’t available here. So I took a different Chinese cabbage and added zucchini and some shirataki noodles.
Well, my sore throat developed into a bad head cold over the day, but the soup definitely helped to ease the pain.

People have sore throats for different reasons. Some have thyroid problems. Some have “flu” infections. Some have both. Some have other infection issues.

In general, low calorie, watery soups are helpful against infections. And this one is helpful for the thyroid for other reasons.

Out of curiosity, when the head ache came, did the throat ease any? If not, I would guess either an infection, an allergy to one of the ingredients, or a sudden rehydration effect if the hydration had been low.

I had a headache for the last two days, no thyroid problems (anymore), but when I woke up with the sore throat this morning, the headache was gone, instead I got this flu-symptoms, blocked nose and ears, by now also no sense of smell and taste. I went to the doctor, because I didn’t feel like working and needed a sick leave. He said it’s an infection and gave me antibiotics, but I won’t take them, it’s not that dramatic, just a usual cold.

Again, out of curiosity, what kind of chicken broth did you use?

Bouillon cubes without sodium. Ingredients: chickenmeatpowder, cane sugar, palmoil, celery, seasalt, parsley, garlic, curcuma, coriander, yeast extract, no other preservatives.

I see that you are a health bug. So yeah, you can probably just wash that cold away. :sunglasses:

I forgot to mention capers. They add a nice touch to the flavor.

There are 3 basic wisdoms for having many ingredients in meals:

• As mentioned earlier, keeping the cook occupied. Despite concerns and complaints, occupation doing something seemingly constructive is paramount to life and especially to oppressed or depressed people.
  • Having many ingredients, especially spices allows for variation in personal flavor preferences. Add a little more of this and a little less of that so as to suit the receiving palette.
  • Most importantly, yet seldom realized, is that having many ingredients allows for the wisdom of miscegenation of preferences so that an old standard (e.g. Texas Fried Oatmeal meat eater) can be carefully massaged into a new standard (Arugula soup) without too much rebellion from the palette. Try to tell a hearty meat eater that eating a hand full of leaves is healthier and you aren’t likely to get an agreeable reception. But if the variety of meats, vegetables, and spices are properly altered through time, more and less of this and that day after day, the strict meat eater can gradually become a strict vegetarian without ever feeling like he has really lost anything (the same strategy being used to infuse and blend your cultures and races into tomorrow’s designated preference without stirring a rebellion - whether good or evil).

Philosophy is about wisdom.
Play with care.