The Philosophers

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: The Philosophers

Postby Wyld » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

"Self" is the basic unit of being. That doesn't mean beings are singular, it means beings are multiple but that this multitude is always somehow unified with-in-as itself.

Self means that of a multitude or plurality of different things it can also be said of them, "these are one thing". The "one" doesn't come at the expense of or opposition to the "many", rather one and many are both the case and at the same time. And yes even rocks have this logical structure.

The fact that such structures act to persist as what they are, that their structure as "simultaneously one and many" is such that it moderates and modifies and selects interactions with what is not-itself in order to attempt to cause itself to endure rather than cease to exist, is what it means to say that "a rock self-values".

What we call the self-valuing of living things, or conscious things, such as ourselves, is basically an extension of that same self-valuing that things like rocks also have. We are a more derivative, complex and dependent iteration and expansion of the same underlying logically principle and mechanism as much simpler and "non-living" things as rocks.
"Those who attach such importance to the ought of morality and fancy that morality is destroyed if the ought is not recognized as ultimate truth, and those too who, reasoning from the level of the understanding, derive a perpetual satisfaction from being able to confront everything there is with an ought, that is, with a 'knowing better' −− and for that very reason are just as loath to be robbed of the ought −− do not see that as regards the finitude of their sphere the ought receives full recognition. But in the world of actuality itself, Reason and Law are not in such a bad way that they only ought to be... The philosophy of Kant and Fichte sets up the ought as the highest point of the resolution of the contradictions of Reason; but the truth is that the ought is only the standpoint which clings to finitude and thus to contradiction." -Hegel, Science of Logic
Wyld
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 pm

I think self is what we wanna be.
Maybe ego is the difference between that and reality.

In reality we dont exist, we just remember some events and then some new events happen. The impression it gives on us is worthy nothing only what we do with it, like it doesnt matter how hard the wind blows only how fast you can still walk.

Some people think the wind matters and they drift backwards.
That my philosophy anyway.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Well I have to say this is a pretty good explanation.

It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Thinker

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:19 am

All weathers are wild, you know what this means? - Odin

There are innumerable seeds in the earth, innumerably many more than the reckoning of either living or dead trees- the sound of the seeds growing is deafening, and drowns out the sound of all the falling oceans of wood in the forests- but, perhaps, the sound made by the seeds can only be heard with our thoughts. - Parodites, 3rd Pentad

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Dorian usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm going to be back here for a selective presencing, one might say in seance, to discuss great matters with the Ouroboros.

In the dirt of the dog-gone past we trace the future with the plow, oxen.
Now that the auroch is extinct it is up to men to carry the yoke of the wild.

I once took a stroll along Diana's forbidden pond, and was told a story meant to inspire fear of water -
what it did was inspire a fear of the mind of the person that told it to me.

The name of the snake is Sun.

There are innumerable seeds in the earth, innumerably many more than the reckoning of either living or dead trees- the sound of the seeds growing is deafening, and drowns out the sound of all the falling oceans of wood in the forests- but, perhaps, the sound made by the seeds can only be heard with our thoughts. - Parodites, 3rd Pentad

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Dorian usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 am

The West is the best.

Get here, we'll do the rest.

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Dorian usurper

Postby Jakob » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 am

For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 am

You are remarkably talented when you let it flow naturally, forget intellectualism (for vids) and concentrate on the artistic.

Give birth to more of your 'small gems'.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby Jakob » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks. Thats nice.
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 am