The Philosophers

He would not have understood what the heck your great great grandfather was talking about. Having not witnessed industrialized capitalism.

I have, though. And I like it.

No, I don’t, we just don’t have them here.
I find the practice of eating what is already dead very sensible.

I didn’t even think to look for that but indeed there is a resemblance. Very nice.
Nothing like between you and your kinsman here though.

Uncanny.

I hope this South America still exists.

He was I believe the youngest child of thirteen, growing up in the wharfs amidst the sounds of shipbuilding, born so fragile and small that for weeks they didn’t think he would make it. Then he grew to a man who at 90 years old could still lift and hold a heavy chair with a horizontally outstretched arm.

Yes indeed, sir.

And yes it does.

holy alamo he looks just like you, pez. all he needs is the long, unruly non-conforming free-spirit hair and a little scrub on his chin and presto; the classical pezerocles.

HAIL THE PHILOSOPHERS CLAN!!!

Haha.

We did some unfathomable things and things are about to get even more unfathomable!

No man should live as a peon!!!

Sun rises to the zenith and then talks to me.
So, FC, what have you done for the birds and the bees, today?
I humbly show him my honey, and he bursts out in laughter!
Very Good FC, the big guy says.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_philosophers

Adi Shankara

What this does is dissolve a degree of rank. It makes the cosmos as apprehended by man flatter - or removes a degree of pathos of distance and a capacity for reverence is diminished.

&

Nicola Abagnano

“Reason itself is fallible, and this fallibility must find a place in our logic.”

Indeed.

&

Muhammad Abduh

“I went to the West and saw Islam, but no Muslims; I got back to the East and saw Muslims, but not Islam.”

This would be very nice.

Pater Abelard was a battle-philosopher, like a battle rapper I mean, who defeated the Master of the Notre Dame (before the current one, it was around 1000) at Logic by using Aristotle against him and then had a bunch of other more famous adventures. His idea is that value resides in human actions.

Abarbanel exceeded all his predecessors in combating Maimonides’ theory of the “Heavenly Chariot” in Ezekiel.” (emphasis mine)

"In his third and final book Maimonides begins with a philosophical analysis of the most mystical section of the Bible – the description of the heavenly chariot at the beginning of the book of Ezekiel. In essence he treats this entire section as an allegorical representation of Aristotle’s thinking in the Physics and Metaphysics! "

Good job Abarbanel.

The Chariot is the vision across the abyss, from Strength to Understanding. So this unifies to an extent Maimonides approach. But… this is not how one should be treating magic. I should probably brush up on my Maimonides.

Abravanel
“יְהוּדָה בֶּן יִצְחָק אַבְּרַבַנְאֵל [Yehuda ben Yitzhak Abravanel]) (c. 1460 Lisbon – c. 1530 ? Naples?),”

This Abarbanel or Abravanel family was powerful.

“Love is common to all living things: in men and animals alike, it springs from sex, parenthood, benefits, affinity and association; in [humans] it may spring also from congruence of nature and from moral and intellectual virtues. Moreover, love extends to inanimate things. For love (with knowledge, which it presupposes) is found to be of three kinds: natural (in lifeless things), sensitive (in animals), and rational-voluntary (in [humans]). Philo explains how the elements are [a]ffected by love for their own place and by love based on the five motives common to men and animals; how first, matter, which underlies the elements, is determined by love of form; and how the nature of compounds is determined by the degree of love between their constituent elements, a low degree sufficing to constitute inanimate things and the highest degree permitting the marriage of body with soul. But love is not limited to the sublunar world. Heaven loves earth as a husband, and her nurslings as children. The analogy is completed by the identification of the functions of the planets with those of the seven organs.”

" Love and desire, moreover, are synonymous and are accompanied by privation, because their object is lacking either in the present or in the future. This is also true of divine love, since God, being subject to no privation in Himself, desires not His own perfection, but that which is lacking in His creatures. The desire of the beautiful is not sufficient as a definition of universal love, for goodness and beauty are not the same, and whereas every beautiful thing is good in essence or appearance, not every good thing is beautiful. Universal love depends upon universal goodness, human love upon the beautiful, which is a good with the complement of beauty. Beauty itself is grace, which brings pleasure to the mind which perceives it, and moves it to love."

Marilyn McCord Adams

“Traditional doctrines of hell err again by supposing either that God does not get what God wants with every human being (“God wills all humans to be saved” by God’s antecedent will) or that God deliberately creates some for ruin. To be sure, many human beings have conducted their ante-mortem lives in such a way as to become anti-social persons. Almost none of us dies with all the virtues needed to be fit for heaven. Traditional doctrines of hell suppose that God lacks the will or the patience or the resourcefulness to civilize each and all of us, to rear each and all of us up into the household of God. They conclude that God is left with the option of merely human penal systems – viz., liquidation or quarantine!”

Interesting though that so many people find their religion when they are incarcerated.

Robert Merrihew Adams “argues that human well‐being and the value of persons as persons are best understood in terms of excellence”.

I agree. Though people are efficiently understood as slaves and tools in terms of their weaknesses, they are best understood as beings in terms of excellence.
Being is excellent.

Hahah, this guy, Joseph Addison. That surely is the first fool on our list.

“Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. …"

It gets worse…

“A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world.”

Hahaha

what in the earth man. Why is this guy on a list. To make me laugh? To fool me into merriment!

Abelard of Bath, somewhere deep in the Middle Ages, asked

“also the interesting question of how far a rock would fall if a hole were drilled through the Earth and a rock dropped through it, see center of gravity.”

Thats remarkable for some one predating Newton by six centuries.

It is true though what he said. If anything can tame a man it is a daughter.

If only there were men fatherlike enough to claim the Earth as their daughter.

Alfred Adler, fond of pathologizing the will to power and being very persuasive at it, was born in the same street as where I lived with K.

“Follow your heart but take your brain with you.”
“It is easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.”

“Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.”
“The only normal people are the ones you don’t know very well.”

“A lie would have no sense unless the truth were felt as dangerous.”
“The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.”

“Meanings are not determined by situations, but we determine ourselves by the meanings we give to situations.”
“seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another, and feeling with the heart of another.”

“To be a human being means to possess a feeling of inferiority which constantly presses towards its own conquest. The greater the feeling of inferiority that has been experienced, the more powerful is the urge for conquest and the more violent the emotional agitation.”
“It is the individual who is not interested in his fellow men who has the greatest difficulties in life and provides the greatest injury to others. It is from among such individuals that all human failure springs"

Of course this is an affront to Me, Fixed Cross.
No, Adler, you confuse conquest with brutish violence. Science is a conquest, art, love, evolution. Among the cardinal virtues of the Good is certainly its capacity and willingness to engage and defeat or suppress the Bad. This is surely conquest.

Is this to be designated in terms of a lack or of a capacity? What is in the end proven?

Rather the will to conquest only arises when a capacity in the form of a path is discerned. The idea of climbing a rock occurred when some ridges of possibilities were discerned.

Thus we usually unless we aren’t unfortunate thick heads perceive a proper path to be ambitious about before we get possessive and obsessive. There is a power and unless this power is oriented on other people, it requires a pathway into some form of world-conquest, some “male chauvinism”. Its the chauvinism which is male, not the man or woman caught with it.

So, Adler, what do you have to say and to teach - to be warm hearted and yet obedient. An Austrian Confucius.

“a woman who contributes to the life of mankind by the occupation of motherhood is taking as high a place in the division of human labor as anyone else could take. If she is interested in the lives of her children and is paving the way for them to become fellow men, if she is spreading their interests and training them to cooperate, her work is so valuable that it can never be rightly rewarded. In our own culture the work of a mother is undervalued and often regarded as a not very attractive or estimable occupation. It is paid only indirectly and a woman who makes it her main occupation is generally placed in a position of economic dependence. The success of the family, however, rests equally upon the work of the mother and the work of the father. Whether the mother keeps house or works independently, her work as a mother does not play a lower role than the work of her husband.”

“What can one say”

• Magnus Carlsen