The Philosophers

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: The Philosophers

Postby Void_X_Zero » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

"Self" is the basic unit of being. That doesn't mean beings are singular, it means beings are multiple but that this multitude is always somehow unified with-in-as itself.

Self means that of a multitude or plurality of different things it can also be said of them, "these are one thing". The "one" doesn't come at the expense of or opposition to the "many", rather one and many are both the case and at the same time. And yes even rocks have this logical structure.

The fact that such structures act to persist as what they are, that their structure as "simultaneously one and many" is such that it moderates and modifies and selects interactions with what is not-itself in order to attempt to cause itself to endure rather than cease to exist, is what it means to say that "a rock self-values".

What we call the self-valuing of living things, or conscious things, such as ourselves, is basically an extension of that same self-valuing that things like rocks also have. We are a more derivative, complex and dependent iteration and expansion of the same underlying logically principle and mechanism as much simpler and "non-living" things as rocks.
"DNA molecules causing 500 million years of gladiator wars, for the delusion of "I'm winning! I'm winning! I'm almost there!" ...Yeah, I don't want there to be a universe where you can torture things at will for silly purposes." --Inmendham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlG_mPeCPkc
Void_X_Zero
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 pm

I think self is what we wanna be.
Maybe ego is the difference between that and reality.

In reality we dont exist, we just remember some events and then some new events happen. The impression it gives on us is worthy nothing only what we do with it, like it doesnt matter how hard the wind blows only how fast you can still walk.

Some people think the wind matters and they drift backwards.
That my philosophy anyway.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Well I have to say this is a pretty good explanation.

It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Thinker

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:19 am

"Progress: the strengthening of the type, the ability for great willing; everything else is misunderstanding, danger." - N
Sun knew not where her own hall was / The stars knew not their own places / Moon knew not his own power. - Havamal

Calendar of Increase -- all is war, love is love

There are innumerable seeds in the earth, innumerably many more than the reckoning of either living or dead trees- the sound of the seeds growing is deafening, and drowns out the sound of all the falling oceans of wood in the forests- but, perhaps, the sound made by the seeds can only be heard with our thoughts. - Parodites, 3rd Pentad

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Dorian usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm going to be back here for a selective presencing, one might say in seance, to discuss great matters with the Ouroboros.

In the dirt of the dog-gone past we trace the future with the plow, oxen.
Now that the auroch is extinct it is up to men to carry the yoke of the wild.

I once took a stroll along Diana's forbidden pond, and was told a story meant to inspire fear of water -
what it did was inspire a fear of the mind of the person that told it to me.

The name of the snake is Sun.
"Progress: the strengthening of the type, the ability for great willing; everything else is misunderstanding, danger." - N
Sun knew not where her own hall was / The stars knew not their own places / Moon knew not his own power. - Havamal

There are innumerable seeds in the earth, innumerably many more than the reckoning of either living or dead trees- the sound of the seeds growing is deafening, and drowns out the sound of all the falling oceans of wood in the forests- but, perhaps, the sound made by the seeds can only be heard with our thoughts. - Parodites, 3rd Pentad

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Dorian usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 am

The West is the best.

Get here, we'll do the rest.

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Dorian usurper

Postby Jakob » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 am

For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 am

You are remarkably talented when you let it flow naturally, forget intellectualism (for vids) and concentrate on the artistic.

Give birth to more of your 'small gems'.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby Jakob » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks. Thats nice.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 am

Jakob
ILP Legend

The Occident, episode 1.

Postby Sauwelios » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 am

Sauwelios
Philosophical Supremacist

Postby Jakob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 am

Phasing out of my own videos continues. I deleted the last video, this is an altered and longer version of it.

Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Sauwelios » Mon May 01, 2017 1:54 am

Sauwelios

Postby Jakob » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Ive also set foot on my new videocratic path.

Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Void_X_Zero » Wed May 03, 2017 1:25 am

Fixed Cross wrote:Image

The West is the best.

Get here, we'll do the rest.

Do you know the warm progress
under the stars?
Do you know we exist?
Have you forgotten the keys
to the Kingdom?
Have you been born yet
& are you alive?

Let's reinvent the gods, all the myths
of the ages
Celebrate symbols from deep elder forests
[Have you forgotten the lessons
of the ancient war]

--Jim Morrison, excerpt from An American Prayer
"DNA molecules causing 500 million years of gladiator wars, for the delusion of "I'm winning! I'm winning! I'm almost there!" ...Yeah, I don't want there to be a universe where you can torture things at will for silly purposes." --Inmendham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlG_mPeCPkc
Void_X_Zero
Thinker

Postby Sauwelios » Wed May 03, 2017 3:04 am

Value Philosophy: First philosophy is the positing of the metaphysics one values the most.
Value Metaphysics: Being is essentially Self-Valuing: beings exist inasmuch as they value themselves.
Value Axiology: Valuation is a rational value, as the disvaluation of it would disvalue itself, too.
Value Logic: Logic's self-identical "A" is a value, and not necessarily a fact.
Value Ethics: It is just to consider things just, and unjust to consider things unjust.
Sauwelios

Postby Jakob » Wed May 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Sauwelios wrote:

Do you value the notion of the "true world" at all? I do not think that such a notion can have merit, I do not think there is a the world at all - there is only a "monster of centers"... where these centers "self-appear" as well as appear to each other, in terms both of their own self-appearance and these others self-appearance. "The World" is thus, in a sense, a diplomatic affair.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 pm

[edit

- I posted a hastily reviewed edit of the second episode, removed it. The final version is now rendering down and will be up in an hour or so.]
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Thu May 04, 2017 3:08 am

Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Sauwelios » Thu May 04, 2017 5:11 am

Jakob wrote:Do you value the notion of the "true world" at all? I do not think that such a notion can have merit, I do not think there is a the world at all - there is only a "monster of centers"... where these centers "self-appear" as well as appear to each other, in terms both of their own self-appearance and these others self-appearance. "The World" is thus, in a sense, a diplomatic affair.

I do value it, but I also agree with your conception of "the world". The "true world" presupposes a God's-eye view, whereas to all appearances the world is really composed of many views, viewpoints, viewing and acting centers none of which are Gods (in that there can only be one God in this sense). Nevertheless, I value the notion of the "true world", for the purpose of deceiving the non-philosophers into being moral during the Platonic age.
Sauwelios

Postby Jakob » Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Sauwelios wrote:
Jakob wrote:Do you value the notion of the "true world" at all? I do not think that such a notion can have merit, I do not think there is a the world at all - there is only a "monster of centers"... where these centers "self-appear" as well as appear to each other, in terms both of their own self-appearance and these others self-appearance. "The World" is thus, in a sense, a diplomatic affair.

I do value it, but I also agree with your conception of "the world". The "true world" presupposes a God's-eye view, whereas to all appearances the world is really composed of many views, viewpoints, viewing and acting centers none of which are Gods (in that there can only be one God in this sense). Nevertheless, I value the notion of the "true world", for the purpose of deceiving the non-philosophers into being moral during the Platonic age.

Ah yes - but/and I think that all such notions of (a/the) True World must result in the shattering of that sacred appearance. It is after all the inevitable result of any idea of unity pushed too far - that is to say beyond the support of the disunity that created it; it crashes, and takes all that believes in it with it along with much that held it in no regard: believing in a Unity thus also tends be accompanied by the exclusion of a lot of entities from that conceived Union - all this to say that indeed it is not an idea for philosophers, but very much one for the masses, the mobs.

So which kind of Unity would you propose if you would want to destroy in this age?
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Thu May 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Sauwelios » Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am

Jakob wrote:
Sauwelios wrote:

Ah yes - but/and I think that all such notions of (a/the) True World must result in the shattering of that sacred appearance. It is after all the inevitable result of any idea of unity pushed too far - that is to say beyond the support of the disunity that created it; it crashes, and takes all that believes in it with it along with much that held it in no regard: believing in a Unity thus also tends be accompanied by the exclusion of a lot of entities from that conceived Union - all this to say that indeed it is not an idea for philosophers, but very much one for the masses, the mobs.

So which kind of Unity would you propose if you would want to destroy in this age?

Well, I don't think along these lines. I think it goes in steps, so it isn't as if there is the notion of a True World in one moment, and in the next moment, whoosh! it's gone. In Platonism, the four causes discerned by Aristotle were divided in two and absolutised: the eidos/telos was conceived as the True World, and the material/efficient cause was conceived as the Apparent World. Then Machiavellianism conceived the latter cause(s) as the effectual truth and the former as imagination. Today's nihilism is really the total lack of imagination ("the Nothing" from The Never Ending Story!), man's wretched contentment with being man, his not being spurred on by a superhuman ideal. Yet still he believes in "progress", i.e. the furtherance of his contentment, and taking this away may enable him to be content and more than content, not just with the present but also with the past, when life was brutish and short... This possibility then becomes the new superhuman ideal--the cycle of man's sprouting, flowering, seeding and withering.
Sauwelios

Postby Jakob » Sat May 06, 2017 2:11 am

Jakob
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat