"Ad Hominous ThreadS"

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

"Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Just received this PM.

Board warning issued
Sent: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:01 am
From: MagsJ
To: Fixed Cross

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
For the creation of ad-hominous threads.


It doesn't say which thread.
Last edited by Fixed Cross on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous Thread"

Postby von Rivers » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Just received this PM.

Board warning issued
Sent: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:01 am
From: MagsJ
To: Fixed Cross

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
For the creation of ad-hominous threads.


It doesn't say which thread.


LOL.
User avatar
von Rivers
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5792
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 4:24 am

Re: "Ad Hominous Thread"

Postby insightfoul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:35 pm

This is an Ad Ad, or "Ad Squared" fallacy, in which a person accuses a person of a fallacy, but there either is no actual fallacy, or the accused fallacy is the wrong type.
"Science needs more BLONDS! Statistically Science has fewer blonds than dark hairs. We need to eliminate the dark haired people and make room for the blonds. Science needs more BLACKS! Statistically Science has fewer blacks than whites. .....Science needs more CATS! Statistically Science has fewer cats than people. We need to eliminate the people and make room for the cats. Science needs more ANDROIDS! Statistically Science has fewer androids than people. We need to eliminate the people and make room for the androids.

We seriously must stop this prejudice of allowing merely those who can do a job to do it. That just isn't fair. If they are not of a minority, just don't hire them. It isn't fair that the majority is employed while the minority has to sit on their butts. Why should the majority get the rewords of dedicated struggle and talent? Fire the majority. Let the Minority get all the jobs and rewards." ~James S Saint
insightfoul
Thinker
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:11 am

Re: "Ad Hominous Thread"

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm

It doesn't say which threadS.
Last edited by Fixed Cross on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Should it not say?

I guess it doesn't matter.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby insightfoul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Go easy on MagsJ, she does her best, which is admirable despite mistakes. Help her to reprimand yourself, let her spank your ass.
"Science needs more BLONDS! Statistically Science has fewer blonds than dark hairs. We need to eliminate the dark haired people and make room for the blonds. Science needs more BLACKS! Statistically Science has fewer blacks than whites. .....Science needs more CATS! Statistically Science has fewer cats than people. We need to eliminate the people and make room for the cats. Science needs more ANDROIDS! Statistically Science has fewer androids than people. We need to eliminate the people and make room for the androids.

We seriously must stop this prejudice of allowing merely those who can do a job to do it. That just isn't fair. If they are not of a minority, just don't hire them. It isn't fair that the majority is employed while the minority has to sit on their butts. Why should the majority get the rewords of dedicated struggle and talent? Fire the majority. Let the Minority get all the jobs and rewards." ~James S Saint
insightfoul
Thinker
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:11 am

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm

insightfoul wrote:Go easy on MagsJ, she does her best, which is admirable despite mistakes. Help her to reprimand yourself, let her spank your ass.

Yeh?

Mods here aren't much when it comes to reprimanding though. I've never seen any poster take a beating.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Sauwelios » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 am

You only _just_ received that PM??
"Someone may object that the successful revolt against the universal and homogeneous state could have no other effect than that the identical historical process which has led from the primitive horde to the final state will be repeated. But would such a repetition of the process--a new lease of life for man's humanity--not be preferable to the indefinite continuation of the inhuman end? Do we not enjoy every spring although we know the cycle of the seasons, although we know that winter will come again?" (Leo Strauss, "Restatement on Xenophon's Hiero".)
User avatar
Sauwelios
Philosophical Supremacist
 
Posts: 7182
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby MagsJ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:43 am

This thread:

"Why is your mums cunt a crackpipe to Smears and Flannel"
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 16961
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:45 am

I do not smoke crack. But it also doesn't bother me that much if people think I do.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby MagsJ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:55 am

insightfoul wrote:Go easy on MagsJ, she does her best, which is admirable despite mistakes. Help her to reprimand yourself, let her spank your ass.

I'd been very ill for a very long time, and during that time I learnt that most aren't compassionate souls, and I.. who have very little empathy for others, would never treat a person in the manner that I have been treated here.

but... all dues being paid up and cashed in.. things are better than ever... each day being different and more amazing than the last.
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 16961
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 am

Sauwelios, Yes. Apparently magsj needed some venting, blaming others for her illness or something. Another instance of ridiculous modding on her part.
Then she comes here trying to convince people how superior and happy she is again.

Good old ILP.

Magsj, you're the very reason I started treating people worse here. Your modding a actions and subsequent aloof and dismissive comments gave me the sign that ILP is nothing to respect, just a place to shit. I try to ignore that and keep posting serious things but it´s increasingly difficult. Thanks for that.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 am

I just want more threads about philosophy, and not so many threads about ideal societies and bigotry and existential angst and expressions of a feeling of powerlessness as spite or whatever.

I mean, some people may not know this, but ever since some time a while back, philosophy is a lot more like science than it is like literature. No one really gives a shit about continental philosophy other than as an aside or as a primer to philosophy so that people can develop the aptitude to understand philosophy of science. I mean honestly...does anyone give a shit about Heidegger? Or Camus? Or any of those other people who I'm sorry but that just aren't that interesting and that just don't say that much? I would hope not. Go and read some Nietzsche, and find out what he said. Then move on and get away from all the self-centered "how to live my life" philosophy and get toward the objective understanding of what the hell you're actually looking at. It blows my mind how people address these questions in the wrong order and live fucked up lives because of it. What am I looking at? How should I act? But that's what so many people do.

Fixed, for the record, I'm not talking about you here. But, the "serious philosophy" threads aren't really serious either. It's usually just someone reciting something they've picked up, or someone making a long winded rant full of loaded terms and so full of ambiguity and bias that it's pointless to even read. I mean, I don't care if people can connect logical dots or color in the lines or how pretty they can make their argument look by painting a layer of reason over their emotions. I want to fucking learn something. There's no one here teaching. It's just one predictable rant after another and then another identical thread to match the last one where the subject came to a deadlock in debate. Fuck it let's not keep going toward a solution. We're too dumb for that. Let's argue until we're deadlocked, then start another fucking thread and do it again over and over.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am

And I really don't understand the hatred for magsj. I mean, she gives as much a shit as anyone else. It's not like we have great contributors who are actually carrying on proper or even reasonable discourse in most cases. What's she supposed to be here to protect? People's feelings? People's serious attempts at philosophy?

Real philosophy doesn't happen online. At best, people who are interested come around and chat about it.

You can go to a forum with more strict rules and read their little articles and all, but in the end it's the same thing. It doesn't matter what the logo looks like or how the mods behave, if you want real philosophy then you have to be in school for it, or study it on your own.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 pm

mr reasonable wrote:I just want more threads about philosophy, and not so many threads about ideal societies and bigotry and existential angst and expressions of a feeling of powerlessness as spite or whatever.

I mean, some people may not know this, but ever since some time a while back, philosophy is a lot more like science than it is like literature. No one really gives a shit about continental philosophy other than as an aside or as a primer to philosophy so that people can develop the aptitude to understand philosophy of science. I mean honestly...does anyone give a shit about Heidegger? Or Camus? Or any of those other people who I'm sorry but that just aren't that interesting and that just don't say that much? I would hope not. Go and read some Nietzsche, and find out what he said. Then move on and get away from all the self-centered "how to live my life" philosophy and get toward the objective understanding of what the hell you're actually looking at. It blows my mind how people address these questions in the wrong order and live fucked up lives because of it. What am I looking at? How should I act? But that's what so many people do.

Fixed, for the record, I'm not talking about you here. But, the "serious philosophy" threads aren't really serious either. It's usually just someone reciting something they've picked up, or someone making a long winded rant full of loaded terms and so full of ambiguity and bias that it's pointless to even read. I mean, I don't care if people can connect logical dots or color in the lines or how pretty they can make their argument look by painting a layer of reason over their emotions. I want to fucking learn something. There's no one here teaching. It's just one predictable rant after another and then another identical thread to match the last one where the subject came to a deadlock in debate. Fuck it let's not keep going toward a solution. We're too dumb for that. Let's argue until we're deadlocked, then start another fucking thread and do it again over and over.


Interesting. Ive never actually seen a post of yours that presented any type of philosophy though - Can you point me to some. Questionark defect on this keyboard.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

mr reasonable wrote:And I really don't understand the hatred for magsj. I mean, she gives as much a shit as anyone else. It's not like we have great contributors who are actually carrying on proper or even reasonable discourse in most cases. What's she supposed to be here to protect? People's feelings? People's serious attempts at philosophy?

Real philosophy doesn't happen online. At best, people who are interested come around and chat about it.

You can go to a forum with more strict rules and read their little articles and all, but in the end it's the same thing. It doesn't matter what the logo looks like or how the mods behave, if you want real philosophy then you have to be in school for it, or study it on your own.


Lol. You are so out of touch.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 pm

About which part? I mean seriously do you see people around here who give a shit? There's like 4 people who flood every conversation with horseshit about gender. A bunch of confused children. You can't have a real conversation about an academic topic with a bunch of people who don't know it. Philosophy isn't just arguing and nit picking Nietzsche.

When I see someone with a problem with authority at my age of almost 35, I think, "this person isn't smart enough to figure out how to do what they want".

Do you think the ubermench complained about authority? Or throw rocks at it? Or did he make an example, himself of how to be so that he could get his rewards?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I wrote:Interesting. Ive never actually seen a post of yours that presented any type of philosophy though - Can you point me to some. Questionark defect on this keyboard.

mr reasonable wrote:About which part? I mean seriously do you see people around here who give a shit? There's like 4 people who flood every conversation with horseshit about gender. A bunch of confused children. You can't have a real conversation about an academic topic with a bunch of people who don't know it. Philosophy isn't just arguing and nit picking Nietzsche.

When I see someone with a problem with authority at my age of almost 35, I think, "this person isn't smart enough to figure out how to do what they want".

Do you think the ubermench complained about authority? Or throw rocks at it? Or did he make an example, himself of how to be so that he could get his rewards?

I'll take that as a no.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm

You have to go back a good way to be honest. I've asked questions about modal logic, defining objects, randomness, constructing ontologies and I've done a number of threads on the old subject/object thing that so many people get stuck on. Along with all sorts of other things that relate to analytic philosophy. The problem is that no one here, on the internet philosophy board gives a shit about real philosophy. They're all here looking for feel-good reads to validate themselves. They get all huffy when people can't take them seriously. I swear man, after my 2nd year of college no one was talking about Nietzsche anymore. No matter how much people try and decipher more and more meaning by studying his work like it's the bible, it just is what it is. A brilliant man's reaction to the world. But let's be honest...how may of his readers do you think are capable of living up to what he would want them to? How many do you think can even understand that? There isn't a lot of philosophy aptitude out there in the world. It's spread pretty thin. I'm not trying to bash N just to rile you up. I'm just talking about the real fact of the matter that philosophy didn't stop 50 years ago, or 100 years ago or 1000 years ago and it just sucks that almost no one is up to speed and that they'd all rather declare victory than take a step further in the direction of knowing more.

It's easy to sit and say, "I've never seen you post about real philosophy". But you and I both know that the only way that's true is if you've really not looked.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 pm

I mean I honestly think that a lot of people here are very childish. That might seem backward coming from the caricature of me that some of you may have in your minds. I don't mean like they drink and smoke and aren't responsible, but like they think like children. I mean really...all this chest banging, dick thrusting, racket making over jack shit. Hurt feelings. It really makes me think less of a lot of people here. I see a handful of people who are able to write. They get considered the better philosophers of the boards. But even then, the best writing you see here is like "C" work in any decent school. God save us if you guys are reading things here and finding them to be profound.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm

mr reasonable wrote:You have to go back a good way to be honest. I've asked questions about modal logic, defining objects, randomness, constructing ontologies and I've done a number of threads on the old subject/object thing that so many people get stuck on. Along with all sorts of other things that relate to analytic philosophy. The problem is that no one here, on the internet philosophy board gives a shit about real philosophy. They're all here looking for feel-good reads to validate themselves. They get all huffy when people can't take them seriously. I swear man, after my 2nd year of college no one was talking about Nietzsche anymore. No matter how much people try and decipher more and more meaning by studying his work like it's the bible, it just is what it is. A brilliant man's reaction to the world. But let's be honest...how may of his readers do you think are capable of living up to what he would want them to? How many do you think can even understand that? There isn't a lot of philosophy aptitude out there in the world. It's spread pretty thin. I'm not trying to bash N just to rile you up. I'm just talking about the real fact of the matter that philosophy didn't stop 50 years ago, or 100 years ago or 1000 years ago and it just sucks that almost no one is up to speed and that they'd all rather declare victory than take a step further in the direction of knowing more.

Philosophy students are usually completely aphilosophical. I talk them out of their idea that theyve thought about things within minutes. Philosophy isnt someting you can study like history. Either you are a philosopher, or not. If you are, you end up understanding all other philosophies. If you are not, you end up at best skimming through a bunch of books and thinking you know whats in them.

My philosophy is only two and a half years old. I have no idea what youre on about with your 50 years or 100 years, honestly.

It's easy to sit and say, "I've never seen you post about real philosophy". But you and I both know that the only way that's true is if you've really not looked.

I have looked. And youve still not given me a source.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Well, once you finish understanding the rest of the philosophers as you say, you'll realize that your philosophy isn't new. I'm not trying to upset you but how on earth do you think you've come up with a new philosophy?

And while it doesn't really matter, it's a fact that your claim about philosophy students is both a radical one, and an unsubstantiated one. I suppose you could give me a few anecdotal pieces of evidence for your claim if you want, but my criticism would still stand.

You're welcome to search my posts. I had a thread about identifying and distinguishing objects not to long ago. I usually make threads like that once in a while to give people who are being stupid a basic example of how you have to think in order to be thinking correctly. If you don't know how to distinguish and identify objects then you can't define things and if you can't define things then you're incoherent. Most people don't know how to define things, can't recognize incoherence and literally just blabber nonsense and call it philosophy then pat themselves on the back for literally nothing.

I think you're an alright guy. I don't think you're an asshole or anything like that, but come on man. Get some sleep and read this thread again and compare my reasoning here to your repetitive attacks on my person regarding whether or not you think I've talked about philosophy in 16000 posts. You and I both know you're wrong on that one.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:16 pm

I think you're an alright guy too. You talking to me a about pilosophy is like a dog telling a man to walk on two legs.

Your object/subject ponderings are fine, but you can find that stuff in a dictionary. People learn it when they are 6, usually.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:58 pm

mr reasonable wrote:I just want more threads about philosophy, and not so many threads about ideal societies and bigotry and existential angst and expressions of a feeling of powerlessness as spite or whatever.

I mean, some people may not know this, but ever since some time a while back, philosophy is a lot more like science than it is like literature. No one really gives a shit about continental philosophy other than as an aside or as a primer to philosophy so that people can develop the aptitude to understand philosophy of science. I mean honestly...does anyone give a shit about Heidegger? Or Camus? Or any of those other people who I'm sorry but that just aren't that interesting and that just don't say that much? I would hope not. Go and read some Nietzsche, and find out what he said. Then move on and get away from all the self-centered "how to live my life" philosophy and get toward the objective understanding of what the hell you're actually looking at. It blows my mind how people address these questions in the wrong order and live fucked up lives because of it. What am I looking at? How should I act? But that's what so many people do.

Fixed, for the record, I'm not talking about you here. But, the "serious philosophy" threads aren't really serious either. It's usually just someone reciting something they've picked up, or someone making a long winded rant full of loaded terms and so full of ambiguity and bias that it's pointless to even read. I mean, I don't care if people can connect logical dots or color in the lines or how pretty they can make their argument look by painting a layer of reason over their emotions. I want to fucking learn something. There's no one here teaching. It's just one predictable rant after another and then another identical thread to match the last one where the subject came to a deadlock in debate. Fuck it let's not keep going toward a solution. We're too dumb for that. Let's argue until we're deadlocked, then start another fucking thread and do it again over and over.


Ouch. And what can philosophy teach us about the lives we live -- as opposed to the limitations of philosophy in doing precisely that? For example, what has it taught us over the past, say, 3,000 years?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22673
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: "Ad Hominous ThreadS"

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 pm

It can teach you how to tell whether you''re reasoning correctly. Most people aren't interested in that though.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24708
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users