No Videos

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

No Videos

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Like it says.
Just pictures.

Thunderbolt steers all things.

I've been guided somewhat by William Blake's quote: "I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create". Just change 'system' for 'style'. - Bill

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Re: No Videos

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Oh No! Now What.jpg
Oh No! Now What.jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Indian Bahai Temple.jpg
Indian Bahai Temple.jpg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

Lotus temple
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Not sure what you mean Arcturus - what did I bite off?

I've been guided somewhat by William Blake's quote: "I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create". Just change 'system' for 'style'. - Bill

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Pandora » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:52 am

Trekking through the desert

Desert dwellers

Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Pandora » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:21 am

Of angels and demons

Image(Angel Caido, Madrid)
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Not sure what you mean Arcturus - what did I bite off?

:lol: That frog and comment was meant in the universal sense, FC, it wasn't directed towards you. I saw him and I liked him and I put words in his mouth. No worries.

If anything, I can relate to it greatly. :P
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Pandora wrote:Of angels and demons

Wow, that second image was magnificant...beautiful.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Life.jpg
Life.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Transformation.jpg
Transformation.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Pandora » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:38 pm

ImageGaping Gill Cave, England.

Eruption of Volcano Puehue, Chile, 2011.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Pandora wrote:ImageGaping Gill Cave, England.

Eruption of Volcano Puehue, Chile, 2011.

Wow, I would love to be down there where that man is.
The beautiful "unconscious".

As for the second, it's so wild and beautiful. The lightning almost looks choreographed. Shall we Dance, Shall we Dance, Shall we Dance!!!!
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:24 pm

and seeing is BECOMING.jpg
and seeing is BECOMING.jpg (6.46 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 am

This is beautiful, a god beholding his father. Difference, beauty, pain.

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 am

Plato's vision

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Pandora » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 am

This image caught my attention:

Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:00 am

Pandora wrote:Image

Very impressive and somehow mighty.

Pandora wrote:Image(Angel Caido, Madrid)

Very beautiful! Thank you for that picture!

Pandora wrote:This image caught my attention:

And why, Pandora?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pandora » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:13 pm

I see it as a sort of projection/perception loop. What is exactly going on when we perceive things? The eye needs "something" in order to see, but when it tries to turn on itself it tends to see itself in everything. It becomes self-referential. I don't know how else to explain it.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 am

Pandora wrote:I see it as a sort of projection/perception loop. What is exactly going on when we perceive things? The eye needs "something" in order to see, but when it tries to turn on itself it tends to see itself in everything. It becomes self-referential. I don't know how else to explain it.

That is one of the reasons why there must be philosophy.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 pm

The best place on Earth:

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Mithus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Arminius wrote:The best place on Earth:

The best place on Earth?
For sightseeing, maybe.
What about your Saltus Teutoburgiensis?
..... panta rhei .............................................
Mithus

Postby Arminius » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:06 pm

My thousandth post ! :D

Mithus wrote:The best place on Earth? For sightseeing, maybe. What about your Saltus Teutoburgiensis?

My Saltus Teutoburgiensis is a very nice place. But it isn't the best one, is it?

Image                                    Image

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Chiron and Achilles.jpg
Chiron and Achilles.jpg (186.75 KiB) Viewed 1543 times

I wonder, was Chiron teaching Achilles archery here or was he teaching him a deeper lesson - when not to use the weapon?
If only...
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arminius » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Mithus wrote:The best place on Earth?
For sightseeing, maybe. ....

Maybe the following map shows the best place on Earth for you:

Is that the best place on Earth for you? Or is a place named "Mithus" the best place on Earth for you, Mithus? :)
Arminius
ILP Legend

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat