Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Arminius wrote:In the near end of Goethe's "Faust", part II, an angel says to Faust:

"Wer immer strebend sich bemüht, // Den können wir erlösen."
                (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, "Faust", Teil II, S. 376.)
                Translation:
                "Who strives always to the utmost, // For him there is salvation.."
And amongst others this is what the "Chorus mysticus" sings when Faust is in heaven at last:

"Alles Vergängliche ist nur ein Gleichnis."
                (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, "Faust", Teil II, S. 383.)
                Translation:
                "All perishable is only an allegory."
Add-on:
      "Niemand ist mehr Sklave, als der sich für frei hält, ohne es zu sein."
      (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, "Die Wahlverwandtschaften", Band 6, S. 397.)

Translation:

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Arminius, how does one know, in actuality, when they are truly free? What do you think?
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Pandora » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 am

Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Perhaps...perhaps not.
Perhaps if you go back far enough with the pirates who sailed the mighty seas looking for ships to plunder.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby fuse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:58 am

Oh Arc, I'm similarly inclined. The Balzac quotation is a taunt, baiting me into argument. I often find myself fighting against the cynicism of (bad) experience - which I would guess is the germ of that quotation.

Here are my faves. I have loved all of these for a long time and thought about them countless times!

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.
(I am a man. Nothing human is foreign to me.)
~ Terence

Respect deities, but do not rely on them.
~ Miyamoto Musashi

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.--'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.'--Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood. [...]

The voyage of the best ship is a zigzag line of a hundred tacks. See the line from a sufficient distance, and it straightens itself to the average tendency. Your genuine action will explain itself, and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing. Act singly, and what you have already done singly will justify you now. Greatness appeals to the future. If I can be firm enough to-day to do right, and scorn eyes, I must have done so much right before as to defend me now. Be it how it will, do right now. Always scorn appearances, and you always may. The force of character is cumulative. All the foregone days of virtue work their health into this.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This one is more contemporary -

Such energy poured into technical fixes: speed, connectivity etc. So little into social fixes: purpose, community, kindness...
~ Alain de Botton

To me it asks the question: what if all the effort that built the apps on your phone, on your pc, that ceaselessly iterates to create all manner of software applications and endlessly update them - what if even a fraction of that effort was instead directed at building more robust communities and solving social problems? What would the world be like?
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 am

Always scorn appearances, and you always may. The force of character is cumulative. All the foregone days of virtue work their health into this.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The force of character is cumulative." I like this.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:16 am

Yeah! Me too! Self-Reliance is a pretty good read. Not too long either. How've you been, Wendy? Hope all's well.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 am

It's not "how have I been," it's "where have you been?" You can visit here and I'm always relaying how I've been to everyone's chagrin :lol: , but you have to visit to stay in the know and contribute as well, dear Fuse. You now have your marching orders just don't march too far away. :handgestures-salute: :happy-smileyflower:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am

Wendy,

Heh. I'm glad you've been well :) Oh I still pop-in from time to time to see what the talk is, to see if the latest cultural conversation has made it to this little corner of the internet, to see how ILP is dealing with it. I'm just loathe to get into discussions if I don't think I'll have the time or effort to finish them properly.

You should see how many posts I've started - long-winded paragraphs of text - only to abort them after taking the time to write it all out. I think I must have a 100 saved drafts in my user control panel lol
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Me too. Too many OPs and replies congesting that folder as I've said ...never to see the light of day.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pandora » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 am

Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Pandora wrote:Image

I can see tolerance as a virtue up to a point..until a laizzez fair attitude or lack of conscious observation and action causes death and destruction.

How is apathy a virtue? It goes against life.
Was Aristotle being literal here or facetious ~~ or did he mean something else by the quote.
Can someone explain this to me.
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat