Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

Postby Tyrannus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:50 pm

"Business and the art of war are the same thing as there is no difference between the two."

-Unknown person-
Tyrannus
Nihilistic Anarcho Primitivist

Re: Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

Postby nano-bug » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 pm

There is no softer pillow than a clear conscience.
Highly adaptable. Yes. Wait! What? Yes. He, herself, is a head fuck. Well, will you look at this little train of thought?
nano-bug
Philosopher

Postby Tyrannus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:32 pm

nano-bug wrote:There is no softer pillow than a clear conscience.

Nanobug, remember to add who it is you're quoting from even if you come up with the expression yourself.

Clear conscience? Pssh.....
Tyrannus

Postby nano-bug » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Tyrannus wrote:
nano-bug wrote:There is no softer pillow than a clear conscience.

Nanobug, remember to add who it is you're quoting from even if you come up with the expression yourself.

Clear conscience? Pssh.....

it was a French proverb, I believe.

Yeah, I didn't think the moral standard of my quote would mesh well with you cutthroat quote. Good night, sleep tight, haunted victor of the crushed and demolished faces of agony.
Highly adaptable. Yes. Wait! What? Yes. He, herself, is a head fuck. Well, will you look at this little train of thought?
nano-bug
Philosopher

Postby Tyrannus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Actually I relish in crushed agonizing faces of defeat. Helps me sleep well at night. Goodnight Nano.
Tyrannus

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm

I remember Nano, how's the nightmarish depression? - Says one with nightmarish malaise.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby Tyrannus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:53 am

It's quite alright Stuart. Let the man post what he likes. This thread was made for everybody.
Tyrannus

Postby Tyrannus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:56 am

A popular oldy, but a favorite of mine.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Or if you prefer something absurd, but oddly makes a lot of sense....

"What does not kill you, makes you stranger." -Character Joker from the movie Batman: The Dark Knight-
Tyrannus

Postby Duality » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:05 pm

"A truth is not necessary, because we negatively are not able to conceive the actual existence of the opposite thereof;but a truth is necessary when we positively are able to apprehend that the negation thereof includes an inevitable contradiction. It is not that that we can see how the opposite comes to be true, but it is that the opposite can not possibly be true." -R.L. Dabney

"Those then who know not wisdom and virtue, and are always busy with gluttony and sensuality, go down and up again as far as the mean; and in this region they move at random throughout life, but they never pass into the true upper world; thither they neither look, nor do they ever find their way, neither are they truly filled with true being, nor do they ever taste of pure and abiding pleasure." -Socrates
Duality
Already Dead

Postby dionysos_pseudanor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 am

“Nietzsche hat mich kaputt gemacht.” ― Martin Heidegger
dionysos_pseudanor

Postby Tyrannus » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:27 am

"If you think you're are free, try going somewhere without money, okay?" Fucking brilliant Duality. :)

I've always said that freedom is only a extension of your bank account.
Tyrannus

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm

““Feeling important makes one heavy, clumsy and vain. To be a warrior one needs to be light and fluid.””
Carlos Castaneda

and I love this one

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.”
Friedrich Nietzsche
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Pandora » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 pm

“Circumstances don't make the man, they only reveal him to himself.” ― Epictetus.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby dionysos_pseudanor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 am

“One cannot refute what one has not thoroughly understood.” ― Leo Strauss
dionysos_pseudanor

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 am

"The nature of the struggle is defined by the oppressor".
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:00 pm

I've always said that freedom is only a extension of your bank account.

^ If you change your perception, your reality may change.
Me and whoever else may have said it.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:08 pm

I love this quote - it's on the bottom of a snow wolf picture I have on my living room wall -

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected.
—Chief Seattle
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:30 pm

One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.”
― Carl Sagan

*shivers*
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Helandhighwater » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:32 pm

"For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life."

Albert Camus.
"smoke me a kipper Skipper I'll be back for Breakfast."

Arnold Judas RImmer V2.0. AKA Ace.

"
Helandhighwater wrote:Feel free to tell me what happened today to your sphincter, and at length, I am very interested in your ass. Pun intended. :evil:

"
Helandhighwater
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:37 pm

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“To make a contented slave,’ [Frederick] Bailey later wrote, ‘it is necessary to make a thoughtless one. It is necessary to darken his moral and mental vision, and, as far as possible, to annihilate the power of reason.’ This is why the slaveholders must control what slaves hear and see and think. This is why reading and critical thinking are dangerous, indeed subversive, in an unjust society.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Love one another but make not a bond of love.
Let it rather be a moving sea
between the shores of your souls.
- Khalil Gibran

Write your Sad times in Sand,
Write your Good times in Stone.
- George Bernard Shaw
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.
Epictetus
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Where wolf's ears are, wolf's teeth are near. (VS, c.19)
Viking quote

Anybody who offends a more powerful man can hardly expect to wear out many more new shirts :lol:
Viking quote

Do not expect to make headway with a frail sailcloth.

One should warn even a dim-witted troll if he sits naked by a fire
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Xyus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:40 am

"I am the totem of the Earth, the Phallus raised to pierce the sky; - this is the altar of the stars. But they are mere flowers of the garden; harvest them and adorn thyself.
Tear at the void and the lights therein; feast on infinities."
- Crowley
Xyus

Postby Xyus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 am

"The enemies of living life; outdated little liberals, afraid of their own independence; lackeys of thought, enemies of the person and freedom, decrepit preachers of carrion and rot! What do they have: gray heads, the golden mean, the most abject and philistine giftlessness, envious equality, equality without personal dignity, equality as understood by a lackey or a Frenchman of the year ninety-three...And scoundrells, above all, scoundrels, scoundrels everywhere!"
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Demons)
Xyus

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat