Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

Yeah! Me too! Self-Reliance is a pretty good read. Not too long either. How’ve you been, Wendy? Hope all’s well.

It’s not “how have I been,” it’s “where have you been?” You can visit here and I’m always relaying how I’ve been to everyone’s chagrin :laughing: , but you have to visit to stay in the know and contribute as well, dear Fuse. You now have your marching orders just don’t march too far away. :handgestures-salute: :happy-smileyflower:

Wendy,

Heh. I’m glad you’ve been well :slight_smile: Oh I still pop-in from time to time to see what the talk is, to see if the latest cultural conversation has made it to this little corner of the internet, to see how ILP is dealing with it. I’m just loathe to get into discussions if I don’t think I’ll have the time or effort to finish them properly.

You should see how many posts I’ve started - long-winded paragraphs of text - only to abort them after taking the time to write it all out. I think I must have a 100 saved drafts in my user control panel lol

Me too. Too many OPs and replies congesting that folder as I’ve said …never to see the light of day.

I can see tolerance as a virtue up to a point…until a laizzez fair attitude or lack of conscious observation and action causes death and destruction.

How is apathy a virtue? It goes against life.
Was Aristotle being literal here or facetious ~~ or did he mean something else by the quote.
Can someone explain this to me.

Arc, meaning a society faces its end when dominated by tolerance and apathy; so they will be its last virtues.

It took you long enough, fuse. :evilfun: Welcome back. Hope you are well. I suppose that there were just too many wonderful clouds to tear yourself away.

I know that you do not see apathy as a virtue. As for tolerance, it is true, is it not, that any virtue can be turned into a vice?

But I think that Aristotle was being ironic here.

fuse,

Was he speaking as a man or as Man (universally speaking)?

How about you? Can you actually make that statement and believe it? Has that been your experience?

Spoiler alert, the quote might be misattributed to Aristotle.

Aristotle did convey the idea of virtue as a mean between two extremes; e.g. bravery falls somewhere between cowardice (a deficiency) and recklessness (an excess), and not necessarily square in the middle. To your point, though, I wouldn’t say that a virtue (e.g. bravery) could be turned into a vice. By Aristotle’s framing, bravery never becomes recklessness or cowardice, but is always some intermediary between them.

I agree the quotation casts apathy and tolerance as “virtues” in a darkly ironic way - to say that they aren’t really virtues at all; they wouldn’t be worth their weight as virtues or earn the name.

So what about tolerance - is it a virtue at all?

I take it he means the latter. It doesn’t make much sense to me the other way.

It’s been a strong and familiar experience, that’s the reason I like the quotation.

fuse,

Terence was a man, fuse. Why would he say "I am [a] man if he was speaking in the universal sense?

I posed that question because of all the great inhumanity to man that has existed in this world.
Can all the chaos and tragedy and despicable acts that have been perpetrated and existed throughout history be so familiar and comfortable to us ~ that we can make that statement.

“Nothing human is foreign to me”.

Maybe the word “foreign” needs to be defined here. Maybe he was being ironic.

We are homesick most for the places we have never known.

Carson McCullers

You can’t go home again

Thomas Wolfe

• So tell me something,
    how does a girl like you end up… a girl like you?
  • Just lucky, I guess

(Narcos)

The happiness is not a feeling, it’s a personal decision

streamable.com/45huk9

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”

Teilhard de Chardin

“The split in you is clear.There is a part of you that knows what it should do, and a part that does what it feels like doing”

From ‘Self Rescue’ by
John Cantwell Kiley

“The world is full of people who are educated beyond their intelligence.” anonymous dad