a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Edgar Degas

I should like to be famous and unknown.

Me too. Only the other way around.

I'll buy a bottle for anyone who can tell me what makes a picture beautiful!

Anyone here know?

I put the picture "A still life of a pear" by Edouard Manet there on the wall, next to the picture "Jupiter and Thetis" by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, for a pear like that would overthrow any god.

So, what's the equivalent of that here?

In painting you must give the idea of the true by means of the false.

So, what's the equivalent of that here?

A picture is a thing which requires as much knavery, as much malice, and as much vice as the perpetration of a crime. Make it untrue and add an accent of truth.

He [must have] said in jest.

The air you breathe in a picture is not necessarily the same as the air out of doors.

My guess: Aside from the obvious reason.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:06 pm

tiny nietzsche

"anything is possible," he lied

He should have said "nothing is impossible", right?

dude descending a staircase

No, not that dude.

work hard
play hard
eat dirt hard
read a book hard
stare into space hard
gaze at flowers hard
introspect hard
be kind to animals hard

Next up: easy.

tie me up and ruin my credit

Or, sure, steal my identity.

my horoscope says give up

Only this time it really means it.

kind of fucking done with july

And, around here, that automatically includes August.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Harlan Coben

What we so admire and call "single minded dedication" was really "obsessive self-involvement". What in that exactly is admirable?

My own of course no one understands.

I'd always hated running. Born-again joggers described how they got addicted to the rapture of running, how they achieved a nirvana known as a runner's high. Right. I'd always firmly believed that--much like the high of auto-asphyxiation--the bliss came more from a lack of oxygen to the brain than any sort of endorphin rush.

Any pathetic runners here?

We know that everything in our lives is complex and gray.

Some clearly more than others.

The pain flooded in again. It was always there, of course. Through the shaking hands and slapping of the backs, the grief stayed by his side, tapping Griffin on the shoulder, whispering in his ear, reminding him that they were partners for life.

Trust him: this is a real thing.

Most people assumed that it would be the opposite—that the victim of such horrific violence would naturally be repulsed by any future bloodshed. But the truth was, the world does not work that way. Violence breeds violence—but not just in the obvious, retaliatory way. The molested child grows up to become the adult molester. The son traumatized by his father abusing his mother is far more likely to one day beat his own wife. Why? Why do we humans never really learn the lessons we are supposed to? What is in our makeup, in fact, that draws us to that which should sicken us?

What say you, Mr. Philosopher?

There was an awkwardness to him, a stoicism that most people, with their need for appearances and fake smiles, found off-putting. Shane couldn’t handle small talk or the excess bullshittery of modern society.

It must be another Shane, he thought.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Bob Dylan

Some people seem to fade away but then when they are truly gone, it's like they didn't fade away at all.

My guess: I'll never be one of them.

I just don't hear anyone else making the music I'm making in my head, so I'll have to do it myself.

The rest of course is history.

Everybody knows by now that there's a gazillion books on me either out or coming out in the near future. So I'm encouraging anybody who's ever met me, heard me or even seen me, to get in on the action and scribble their own book. You never know, somebody might have a great book in them.

So, which book is it?

I wouldn't even think of playing music if I was born in these times. I wouldn't even listen to the radio.

That's now understood, right?

The radio makes hideous sounds.

And not just talk radio.

I never read Freud. I've never been attracted to anything he has said, and I think he's started a lot of nonsense with psychiatry and that business. I don't think psychiatry can help or has helped anybody. I think it's a big fraud on the public.

Let's run this by Tom Cruise.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:57 pm

tiny nietzsche

the sun will come out tomorrow. or it won't. you can't trust anything anymore

Other than mass shootings in America.

some forget to remember, some remember to forget

Actually, it's the other way around.

what rock did you crawl out from under because I would like to join you

The new optimism.

A$AP Kierkegaard

A little help with this one please.

Nihilism™ the choice of a new generation

Not to worry: I'll never market mine.

I am having an out of phone experience

Now an actual mental disorder. Coming to a DSM or ICD near you.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 am

Blake Crouch

You know, you remind me of my younger brother. I miss that kid, so much that I sometimes regret killing him.

Among other things, it's a hell of a story.

It's a troubling paradox...I have total control, but only to the extent i have control over myself.

Of course that's where I come in.

This is best illustrated by looking up into the night sky at stars whose brilliance took fifty light-years to reach our eyes. Or five hundred. Or five billion. We’re not just looking into space, we’re looking back through time.

Let's pin down [once and for all] if that's important.

My life is great. It’s just not exceptional. And there was a time when it could have been.
You killed your ambition, didn’t you?
It died of natural causes. Of neglect.

Or, as the Gang of Four once noted, "To have ambition was my ambition"

They say all art—whether books, music, or visual—is a reaction to other art.

So, what do they say about all philosophy?

He thinks how it will be winter soon, and then another year gone by and another one on the chopping block, time flowing faster and faster. Life is nothing how he expected it would be when he was young and living under the delusion that things could be controlled. Nothing can be controlled. Only endured.

Let's call it a mood. Or, sure, a philosophy.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Ani DiFranco

There's a paradox in every paradigm.

Or at least every other one.

I know my mind is made of matter but I need to know exactly what is the matter at its core?

You know, going back to the existence of existence itself. :wink:

We have to really be intentional right now about holding the media accountable, and taking back the discourse and terms of discussion. It's been hijacked.

My guess: It always will be.

Too much is how I love you, but too well is how I know you.

They're doomed in other words.

It can be very frustrating and very deflating to be constantly defined and described by other people, so I've stopped reading anything written about me, and I find it much healthier.

That works here in particular.

My life may not be something special But it's never been lived before.

Well, compared to most of us nobodies, it's sort of special.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:42 pm

so sad today

you’re damn right i’m misinterpreting the situation as way worse than it is

Unless [this time] it actually is way worse.

The internet is cruel, dark and deep,
But I have obsessive thoughts to tweet
And miles of bullshit to go before I sleep.

Besides, she's now "almost famous".

my sport is obsessing about shit beyond my control

Me too. It's just not a sport.

ever just feel tired for your entire life

Me? Only from the day I was conceived.

trying to break up with myself

Me? Until death do us part.

these coping skills may be ineffective as shit but they're mine

Want to borrow them?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:53 pm

Neal Stephenson

That, as far as she could tell, was the purpose of the religion she had been brought up in: it made people feel better when really horrible things happened, and it offered a repertoire of ceremonies that were used to add a touch of class to such goings-on as shacking up with someone and throwing dirt on a corpse. None of which especially bothered Zula or made her doubt its worthwhileness. Making sad people feel better was a fine thing to do.

Let's just leave it that, okay?

Apparently the part of the brain that identified things as funny kept running as a background process even when its contributions were useless.

First, is it true? Second, if so, why does it matter?

Computers rely on the one and the zero to represent all things. This distinction between something and nothing—this pivotal separation between being and nonbeing—is quite fundamental and underlies many Creation myths.

Just a coincidence, right?

Being right does not always bring satisfaction.

Look at your own experience here, right?

Bud's relationship with the female sex was governed by a gallimaufry of primal impulses, dim suppositions, deranged theories, overheard scraps of conversation, half-remembered pieces of bad advice, and fragments of no-doubt exaggerated anecdotes that amounted to rank superstition.

Sounds about right.

All the people saying mean things about me on the Internet are gonna be dead in four hundred and thirty-three days, she said, deadpan.

Deadpan is the best she can do. Not unlike all the rest of us.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Luis Bunuel

You have to begin to lose your memory, if only in bits and pieces, to realize that memory is what makes our lives. Life without memory is no life at all... Our memory is our coherence, our reason, our feeling, even our action. Without it we are nothing.

So don't forget that.

A writer or painter cannot change the world. But they can keep an essential margin of nonconformity alive.

Think of this as my job here.

The Cinema seems to have been invented to express the life of the subconscious, the roots of which penetrate poetry so deeply.

Not counting the super hero idiots in Hollywood of course.

If we could only find the courage to leave our destiny to chance, to accept the fundamental mystery of our lives, then we might be closer to the sort of happiness that comes with innocence.

Right, just flip a coin.

God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.

Them and political ideology.

I say to hell with the work you have to do to earn a living! That kind of work does us no honor; all it does is fill up the bellies of the pigs who exploit us. But the work you do because you like to do it, because you've heard the call, you've got a vocation - that's ennobling! We should all be able to work like that. Look at me, Saturno - I don't work. And I don't care if they hang me, I won't work! Yet I'm alive! I may live badly, but at least I don't have to work to do it!

That's what I call rubbing it in.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:27 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

As Adolph Hitler might have said.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed. Buddha

Typical Buddhist bullshit, he thought. Utterly devoid of all context.

"If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it." Toni Morrison

Not counting the Kids of course.

"You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down." Toni Morrison

You know, if that is actually an option.

In this country American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate." Toni Morrison

As a white nihilist-American myself, it gets more complicated.

The death of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world." Edgar Allan Poe

Let's question it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:51 pm

Marianne Faithfull

Maybe the most that you can expect from a relationship that goes bad is to come out of it with a few good songs.

Like this one: https://youtu.be/3mvAMEaWgTQ

I never saw myself as beautiful. I can look back and see it now, but then? Never.

That's got to be bullshit.

The voice of God, if you must know, is Aretha Franklin's.

She means Janis Joplin's of course.

I'm interested in time, fame, death, beauty, truth, all those things.

No point in coming here then.

I think it's a great shame that America stopped being a republic and became an empire.

Tell that to the slaves and the Indians.

Bad behaviour makes men more glamorous. Women get destroyed, thrown out of society and locked up in institutions.

That's actually changed a bit though.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Bjork

It's incredible how nature sets females up to take care of people, and yet it is tricky for them to take care of themselves.

Those fucking male memes no doubt.

Americans are so dumb!

And not just the idiots in Trumpworld.

When I was 20, political music was the uncoolest thing on earth. But when Bush got elected, that was the first time I started actually reading the news.

Devouring it now I suspect.

There's no map to human behaviour.

You'd think she never heard of philosophy. Right, Mr Objectivst?

I'm not that keen on fierce dictatorship.

Well that's good to know.

I was very aware when I went to the Academy Awards that it would probably be my first and last time. So I thought my input should really be about fertility, and I thought I'd bring some eggs.

Who can forget that?
https://www.google.com/search?q=bjork+a ... 66&bih=657

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Nein

Do jokes help?
No.
Do they hurt?
Only if they’re any good.

No, really, think about it.

I remember when Nihilism was fun. Racism was bad. And the list of things I wanted to forget was considerably shorter.

Me too. About 40 years ago.

Welcome. Please excuse our dystopian nightmare.

At until the next election. Or, sure, maybe not even then.

If you need me, I’ll be suspending my disbelief.

Is that still possible?

Sorry. My politics ate my aesthetics. My metaphysics ate my politics. And my ethics ate my ethics.

So, don't forget to vote!

Don’t worry. There’s always enough disappointment for everyone.

Here of course it's guaranteed.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Dan Savage

We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people. The same way we have learned to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation.

Of course you'll go to Hell, right?

I think astrology is annoying bullshit---which is so Libra of me.

Uh, yuck, yuck?

Don't mistake being an asshole for being a man.

Much less a woman.

Ultimately life is disease, death and oblivion. It's still better than high school.

Just out of curiousty, is that still true?

...every relationship you are in will fail, until one doesn't...

You die first, for example.

There's a big mistake the left has made with talking to religious people, which is attempting to talk them out of their interpretations of the Bible, attempting to have theological debate with them. When I'm on right-wing whackjob radio, when people call up to inform me that I'm going to hell, I concede the point. "I'm going to hell. Yes. Can you leave me alone now?"

Nope. Now it's their job to save you.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 pm

Cate Blanchett

I love strange choices. I'm always interested in people who depart from what is expected of them and go into new territory.

On the other hand, there are the strange consequences that come with them.

If you know you are going to fail, then fail gloriously.

She means you, Kids.

I'm of the opinion that it's okay to be silent, to not speak if you don't have anything to say.

She means you, Kids.

And perhaps, those of us in the industry who are still foolishly clinging to the idea that female films, with women at the center are niche experience, they are not. Audiences want to see them and, in fact, they earn money. The world is round, people.

Not counting Summer blockbusters of course.

Mind the gap - it's the distance between life as you dream it and life as it is.

Or, sure, like most of us, fall into it.

I don't tell the truth, I tell what ought to be the truth.

And what might that be?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:25 am

Werner Twertzog

Either super-hero cinema goes, or I do.

He's gone then.

Teach a man to fish, and you condemn him to labor in a brutal and declining industry.

I already stopped doing that myself.

Read, if you want to be a filmmaker. Study literature, skip film school. Read. Read. Read. Read. Read. Read. Read. Read. Read.

In Hollywood, that means comic books.

I used to make great cinema, but now I mostly tweet.

This might actually be true.

All of us will find happiness, posthumously.

We'll need confirmation of course.

Do not trust anyone who is not dead.

And even then only problematically.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Noel Coward

Thousands of people have talent. I might as well congratulate you for having eyes in your head. The one and only thing that counts is: Do you have staying power?

Could that possibly include ILP?

But why, oh why, do the wrong people travel, when the right people stay at home?

Anyone here know why, oh, why?

Trust your instincts. If you have no instincts, trust your impulses.

If you have neither, trust your memes.

Christmas is at our throats again.

If only after enduring Thanksgiving.

Many years ago I remember a famous actress explaining to me with perfect seriousness that before making an entrance she always stood aside to allow God to go on first. I can also remember that on that particular occasion He gave a singularly uninspired performance.

I suspect for some that's applicable here too.

I have a memory like an elephant. In fact, elephants often consult me.

Now that's clever.
Right?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:20 am

Edith Piaf

When you reach the top, you should remember to send the elevator back down for the others.

And, no, not just in France.

As far as I'm concerned, love means fighting, big fat lies, and a couple of slaps across the face.

She means coming and going.

Every damn fool thing you do in this life you pay for.

You know, if that were actually true.

Singing is a way of escaping. It's another world. I'm no longer on earth.

Wow, not unlike what we do here.

All I've done all my life is disobey.

She was obviously never drafted into the military.

Americans want beauties, not me. I’m not the Parisian bombshell they expected. Can you see me as a chorus girl? Where’s my feather up the ass? They think I’m sad, they’re dumb. I don’t connect to them.

That makes [at least] two of us.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:45 am

Werner Twertzog

Yes, young ones, you can be anything you can dream, provided it makes someone else a lot of money.

Student loans for example.

Teachers, as we all know, are people hired to tell lies to children. And to believe in those lies.

Making them all that more effective, right?

I shot the sous chef, but I did not shoot the maître d'.

Tell that to the Sheriff.

I dreamed I was the mightiest whale in the ocean, but entangled in ropes and netting, unable to feed, and full of rage.

Let's pin down a lesson to be learned here.

It is not true that nothing changes. Things can always get worse.

And that will never change of course.

Here's pessimism: Your occupation, already, is obsolete, but your student loans will outlive your grandchildren. Your great-grandchildren, as they gather scraps of food, will curse your name, until they die of skin-cancer.

Either that or Trump gets reelected.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Edgar Degas

Your pictures would have been finished a long time ago if I were not forced every day to do something to earn money.

Same for philosophers, right?

Art is really a battle.

Or, for some, a spat.

Nothing in art should seem accidental, not even movement.

Like this is something able to be pinned down.

If I were in the government I would have a brigade of policemen assigned to keeping an eye on people who paint landscapes outdoors. Oh, I wouldn't want anyone killed. I'd be satisfied with just a little buckshot to begin with.

What's with this?

Boredom soon overcomes me when I am contemplating nature.

Or for others: Boredom soon overcomes me when I am contemplating art.

I really have a lot of stuff in my head; if only there were insurance companies for that as there are for so many things.

Nope, nothing like that yet.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:28 pm

lol biggs! you'll never guess who i found. remember the war of 02 at the philosophy cafe against friedrich the mexican kantian objectivst defense attorney and his entourage of philosophy graduates? of course you do... how could you ever forget. now do you remember everyone who fought on your side? maybe not everyone, but surely you remember 'malbus', yeah? well i found him. apparently he's now an amateur poetry publisher and/or runs a press or something. i remember reading some of his stuff on the boards when he was trying to get it off the ground... and i guess it worked out for him. he's got several poetry reading videos now. here's a random sample....

(don't know if you ever joined the yahoo group he started- 'the thin edge of staring', but the folks there were pretty fuckin cool. ubermark, dustin ash, raven, she, abgrund... any of these names ring a bell?)

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:18 am

Oswald Spengler

The press today is an army with carefully organized weapons, the journalists its officers, the readers its soldiers. The reader neither knows nor is supposed to know the purposes for which he is used and the role he is to play.

Jeffery Epstein, for example. But only if you include the Deep State.

What is truth? For the multitude, that which it continually reads and hears.

For the objectivists too.

Optimism is cowardice.

If not downright stupidity.

Today we live so cowed under the bombardment of this intellectual artillery (the media) that hardly anyone can attain to the inward detachment that is required for a clear view of the monstrous drama. The will-to-power operating under a pure democratic disguise has finished off its masterpiece so well that the object's sense of freedom is actually flattered by the most thorough-going enslavement that has ever existed.

Of course there's the left wing and the right wing version of this.

Socialism is nothing but the capitalism of the lower classes.

Whatever that means, for example.

Through money, democracy becomes its own destroyer, after money has destroyed intellect.

Whatever that means, for example.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 am

promethean75 wrote:lol biggs! you'll never guess who i found. remember the war of 02 at the philosophy cafe against friedrich the mexican kantian objectivst defense attorney and his entourage of philosophy graduates? of course you do... how could you ever forget. now do you remember everyone who fought on your side? maybe not everyone, but surely you remember 'malbus', yeah? well i found him. apparently he's now an amateur poetry publisher and/or runs a press or something. i remember reading some of his stuff on the boards when he was trying to get it off the ground... and i guess it worked out for him. he's got several poetry reading videos now. here's a random sample....

(don't know if you ever joined the yahoo group he started- 'the thin edge of staring', but the folks there were pretty fuckin cool. ubermark, dustin ash, raven, she, abgrund... any of these names ring a bell?)

Actually, the only members I am still able to recall at all are the autodidact Ralph Dumain, Joe Firestone, Jack K[something] and, in particular, Eric [wine something].

PS

Just for the record, these folks are still around: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/caf ... logue/info

I just clicked on the group myself.

It has been over ten years since I last participated but for those here who do enjoy serious discussions of philosophy, go ahead, check them out.

Become a member and you can have access to their "message history"

Then go back to around Jan 2006 and you can read some of the exchanges I had there as George Walton.

Tell them I said hello.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones are truly the greatest rock and roll band in the world and always will be. The last too. Everything that came after them, metal, rap, punk, new wave, pop-rock, you name it... you can trace it all back to the Rolling Stones. They were the first and the last and no one's ever done it better.

Maybe, sure.

All this talk about equality. The only thing people really have in common is that they are all going to die.

Let's decide:
1] trite
2] not trite

Sometimes I'm thinkin'
I'm Too high to fall
Other times I'm thinkin'
I'm So low I don't know If I can come up at all

Like all the the rest of us. Only on another level altogether.

Rod's a great singer. He's got a great voice, but there's no point to put a 30-piece orchestra behind him. I'm not going to knock anybody's right to make a living but you can always tell if somebody's heart and soul is into something, and I didn't think Rod was into it in that way.

I know: What else is new?

Here's the thing with me and the religious thing. This is the flat-out truth: I find the religiosity and philosophy in the music. I don't find it anywhere else.

He's lying of course but what do I know?

When I first heard Elvis's voice, I knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody ... hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.

And the first time Elvis heard Dylan's voice?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat