a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby Moreno » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:55 am

d63 wrote:And. Ambig, to be like a bitch:

give Moreno some credit.

He has been one of the few here who has returned trying to deal with what you are doing here.
Hey, it's fine. Once I understood what he is doing here, I don't have the same expectations I might have in another thread. So it's fine. I can dip in, spout out some stuff, perhaps it never leads to a dialogue, and that's OK. I can adapt to many cultures.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 am

Moreno:

beautiful:

Love ya, man!

It was,

but I have to come back at it when I'm sober
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

First we read, then we write. -Emerson.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

I refuse to be taken seriously.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

:me
d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:15 am

I don't want to find an end, though I would love it if some things ended. It's not that I can't enjoy and put to use some direct, certain statement 'this is the way things are', I would hope however that there are challenges, if not ongoing torture, after that portion of things is mastered. For example merging, permanently, with oneness - nirvana and the like - sounds not very interesting to me. Likewise some very pure, good Heaven experience, ooh and aahing at God's amazingness FOR ETERNITY. I mean, I would choose that over being burned in boiling oil for all time, but I think after several billion years they might end up being very close to same experience.

Yeah: but isn’t it cool that we are where we are, right now, doing what we are together? How can we not love it? Moreno, you have a mind that is different than most minds around you. Yet, here you are with another mind like yours. How can we be bitter about that?
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 am

For instance:

why should the citizen united ruling worry people like us?

we know how we want to vote and why.

we have found our way of thinking

and we have a reason for it.

How much advertising is out there

means shit to us.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 am

By all rights,

most people should be able decide who they want to vote for

based on an essay

and a couple of debates.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 am

But more importantly:

we have found ways to change the system:

outside of the system.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 am

First of all:

america needs to give up its phallogocentric obsession

with having the biggest dick.

that's all there is to it.

There is talk among us about the so-called feminization of man

But that is just sour grapes.

This fear of the feminization of man

comes out of a fear that more effeminate intellectual men

will take women from the knuckledraggers.

will win out in the long run.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 am

That,

as my mom indicates to me,

can be the only end that women as genetic gatekeepers can lead to.

How do you like me now, satyr?

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 am

Given how complex the world has become,

who can deal with it better than a poet

(that is as compared to a warrior

who simply seeks destruction.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:33 am

Has anyone noticed how the citizen united ruling has made itself known on Pandora?

Has anyone noticed how little difference it actually makes?

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:35 am

Love ya, man:

but just took a hit and better go to drunken rants...................

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 am

Moreno, not to be a smart-ass, but

d63
ILP Legend

Postby captaincrunk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 am

d63 wrote:Has anyone noticed how the citizen united ruling has made itself known on Pandora?

What is this about?
captaincrunk
BANNED

Postby Moreno » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

d63 wrote:Moreno, not to be a smart-ass, but

This went over my head or under my feet.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Moreno » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:27 pm

d63 wrote:
I don't want to find an end, though I would love it if some things ended. It's not that I can't enjoy and put to use some direct, certain statement 'this is the way things are', I would hope however that there are challenges, if not ongoing torture, after that portion of things is mastered. For example merging, permanently, with oneness - nirvana and the like - sounds not very interesting to me. Likewise some very pure, good Heaven experience, ooh and aahing at God's amazingness FOR ETERNITY. I mean, I would choose that over being burned in boiling oil for all time, but I think after several billion years they might end up being very close to same experience.

Yeah: but isn’t it cool that we are where we are, right now, doing what we are together? How can we not love it? Moreno, you have a mind that is different than most minds around you. Yet, here you are with another mind like yours. How can we be bitter about that?
I'm not bitter. Bitter would be nice sometimes. I mean, bitter is a kind of acceptance. It's a frozen 'things are fucked up and that's the way they are'. I'm more like a 6 year old. (something I am both proud of and embarrassed by)
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Bianco Luno

An object of sentiment; a young girl with a stuffed animal, a doll or cat; women with babies or almost any child:
The surface vulnerability is irresistible.
How are we to place blame for suppressing the obvious?
That the teddy-bear is stuffed with rags, cotton or foam; the doll, air-filled plastic; the likelihood that the warm, vibrating ball of fur is only tolerating the proffered intimacy; or the boy’s indifference to or even resentment of motherly attention.
Ask too pertinently how it feels to be the object of another’s affection, we are met with a scowl or a pout.
Lest we spoil the pleasurable effusion.
Dare we suggest that a boy might be permanently "scarred" by a mother’s love?
(The girl is better equipped by nature and convention to handle this kind of abuse.)
Could it occur to her that she might use me as a man might a centerfold?
Why am I forced to break her heart?
How many victims of instinct can you fit on the head of a diaper pin?

It would be interesting to interview the mother behind all this. And her mother all the way back to the big bang.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Emile Cioran

A sudden silence in the middle of a conversation suddenly brings us back to essentials: it reveals how dearly we must pay for the invention of speech.

Especially among those who, once switched on, do not seem in possession of an off button.

By all evidence we are in the world to do nothing.

Or to do everything in a manner interchangable with doing nothing at all.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:28 am

Moreno wrote:
d63 wrote:

I'm not bitter. Bitter would be nice sometimes. I mean, bitter is a kind of acceptance. It's a frozen 'things are fucked up and that's the way they are'. I'm more like a 6 year old. (something I am both proud of and embarrassed by)

How embarrassed can you be? I mean look at me.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:42 am

Moreno wrote:
d63 wrote:Moreno, not to be a smart-ass, but

This went over my head or under my feet.

Same here. I'm as lost as you are.

It must have been a thought that I got distracted from.

At that point, my mind is usually moving at about the speed of sound and I'm running around as fast as possible trying to capture it in as few words as possible hoping the reader will use the space around the words to fill in the gaps. Mondays, being my night off, are almost always a source of Anguish before I start drinking (on top of the fatigue from working nights) and a source of dread before I come back on Tuesday night*. Mondays, especially when a close associate offers me a tap off a blunt, can turn into a weird poetic flight. However, in my defense, it does stay in the spirit of what Ambig is doing here.

*note the way in which I started off with a relatively lucid argument, then degenerated into what I did.
Last edited by d63 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 am

captaincrunk wrote:
d63 wrote:Has anyone noticed how the citizen united ruling has made itself known on Pandora?

What is this about?

My point is that I think the effects of Citizen's United have been a little over-exaggerated. It would be to act as if, after 50 + years of TV advertising, we would be so stupid as to not see through the BS. The only people that will buy into it are those that want to buy it in the first place. For my part, corporations can buy up all the advertising they want. I despise the Republican platform too much to vote Republican and will vote Democrat if for nothing else, to publicly announce my opposition to it.

At bottom, even if there are people who will vote republican just because they have cooler commercials, then our problems run a lot deeper than the choice between Democrat or Republican.

That said, I'm not sure why I brought that up here. Must have been a Monday. I apologize to Ambig for the digression.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:04 am

iambiguous wrote:Emile Cioran

A sudden silence in the middle of a conversation suddenly brings us back to essentials: it reveals how dearly we must pay for the invention of speech.

Especially among those who, once switched on, do not seem in possession of an off button.

By all evidence we are in the world to do nothing.

Or to do everything in a manner interchangable with doing nothing at all.

Why are you looking at me when you say that, Ambig?
Last edited by d63 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:10 am

It would be interesting to interview the mother behind all this. And her mother all the way back to the big bang.

A confrontation with the Absurd: the way all chains of cause and effect go back and converge into the nothingness.

There is, ultimately, no foundation to what we are now:

The thin air upon which Rawls rest his assumptions when suggesting the original position experiment.

Many will think this insanity -a form of schizophrenia or divided mind. But as Lacan suggests, true psychosis is rooted in the Names of the Father: those terms and fixed meanings which the psychotic latches onto to anchor themselves in the thin air that all assumptions rest on.

The psychotic knows while we normal people rest on denial. At the same time, the psychotic, in an exaggerated sense, engages in a form of denial. In other words, the psychotic knows that what stability the brain produces to the mind is an illusion. Therefore, the mind over-responds by arbitrarily fixing meaning.
Last edited by d63 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:28 am

It's the music's fault I say!

Case in point: if you take a group of children who are playing nicely and play them White Zombie, they will begin to act more aggressively.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 am

iambiguous wrote:Fernando Pessoa

Everything interests me, but nothing holds me. I attend to everything, dreaming all the while...I'm two, and both keep their distance — Siamese twins that aren't attached.

And, as you might suspect, this is how I imagine being attached to myself.

My past is everything I failed to be.

Or, worse, everything I did become.

The value of things is not the time they last, but the intensity with which they occur. That is why there are unforgettable moments and unique people!

Both well beyond good and evil by and large.

Sounds like the plight of the generalist.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 am

You gotta love these Kafkaesque discourses.

It always lets you know that you are more than how you function or mean.

d63
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat