a thread for mundane ironists

[b]Karl Marx

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.[/b]

Imagine Marx reacting to Trump. No, really, give it your best shot.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.

Or, sure, maybe not that way.

The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.

You know, in theory.

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great, world-historical facts and personages occur, as it were, twice. He has forgotten to add: the first time as tragedy, the second as farce.

Let’s see how high Trump raises the bar.

Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.

Tell us about it!

I am nothing but I must be everything.

Well, he was certainly something.

To be radical is to grasp things by the root.

To be reactionary too. And the rest as they say is history. Ours for example.

[b]Jan Mieszkowski

Freud: Beyond the Pleasure Principle
Nietzsche: Beyond Good and Evil
Deleuze: Beyond the Reality Principle
Trump: Beyond Depressing[/b]

You know, it that’s actually true.

Trump’s antics are quickly eroding your faith in
a) capitalism
b) democracy
c) the notion that existence has any value whatosever

Come on, we can do better than that.

Social Media and your Delusions of Grandeur
Instagram: I’m an artist!
Twitter: I’m an aphorist!
Facebook: I’m not completely insufferable!

And ILP?

What is the good?
Plato: the true
Kant: willing without contradiction
Nietzsche: I’m going to have to go with glam rock

No way. Nietzsche is New Wave down to the bone.

Kierkegaard: I’m free to be terrified
Sartre: I’m terrified to be free
Nietzsche: Feel free to keep your terribly trite thoughts to yourself

Okay, Kids, weigh in here.

Sartre: It’s hopeless
Beckett: It’s beyond hopeless
Kafka: There’s plenty of hope, infinite hope, but not for us
Camus: Shameless optimists!

Obviously: yet another homage to Trump…

[b]Stephen Fry

Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive.[/b]

Well, there’s always next year.

When push-off comes to shove-off, a man must have a reason to get out of bed in the mornings, something more than the threat of bedsores, at any rate.

Of course we have ILP, don’t we?

There is simply no limit to the tyrannical snobbery that otherwise decent people can descend into when it comes to music.

He thought: Not true at all: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=177676&start=5600

Not one word of the following is true.

Including “and” and “the”. Oh, and the punctuation.

I was at a dinner party many years ago,sitting along from Tom Stoppard, who in those days smoked not just between courses,but between mouthfuls. An American woman watched in disbelief.
And you so intelligent!
Excuse me? said Tom.
Knowing those things are going to kill you, she said, and still you do it.
How differently I might behave, Tom said, if immortality were an option.

True, but she still has a point.

It was behaviour that I thought not far from racism, sexism or any other kind of prejudice or snobbery. ‘Because you are not cute, I do not want to know you’ was, to me, hardly different from suggesting ‘because you are gay, I dislike you.’

Let’s explore this, say, here: knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
[size=50][bigots-r-us][/size]

[b]Carson McCullers

She stood in front of the mirror a long time, and finally decided she either looked like a sap or else she looked very beautiful. One or the other.[/b]

Unless or course it’s neither one. In any event that’s for Satyr and Lyssa to decide.

My advice to you is this. Do not attempt to stand alone. The most fatal thing a man can do is try to stand alone.

Well, then I fucked that up too.

We live in the richest country in the world. There’s plenty and to spare for no man, woman, or child to be in want. And in addition to this our country was founded on what should have been a great, true principle - the freedom, equality, and rights of each individual. And what has come of that start? There are corporations worth billions of dollars - and hundreds of thousands of people who don’t get to eat.

Cue the Donald. You know, if you’re white.

There are those who know and those who don’t know. And for every ten thousand who don’t know there’s only one who knows. That’s the miracle of all time—the fact that these millions know so much but don’t know this.

There’s an actual context in there somewhere, I’m sure.

In the face of brutality I was prudent. Before injustice I held my peace. I sacrificed the things in hand for the good of they hypothetical whole. I believed in the tongue instead of the fist. As an armor against oppression I taught patience and faith in the human soul I know now how wrong I was. I have been a traitor to myself and to my people. All that is not. Now is the time to act and to act quickly. Fight cunning with cunning and might with might.

Trumpworld!

It was better to be in a jail where you could bang the walls than in a jail you could not see.

Or, sure, a dungeon.

[b]Nein

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was, at best, the worst of the worst of times.[/b]

At least.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was, at best, not yet the very worst of the truly very, very, very worst of times.

At most.

The good news: hope has been found.
At the airport.
Leaving the country.

Bound for Moscow.

The Latin term, if I’m not mistaken, is POTUS DISGUSTUS.

Obviously: the liberal Latin term.

Truly. I’ll never understand God’s interest in American politics.

Or, for that matter, the Holocaust.

Cheer up: it’s only eight years.

Well, unless Trump shreds the Constitution.

[b]Jeanette Winterson

Gambling is not a vice, it is an expression of our humanness. We gamble. Some do it at the gaming table, some do not. You play, you win, you play, you lose. You play. [/b]

You gotta play to win, sure. But first you need to have that as an option.

The truth is that I’ve spent all my life with my binoculars trained on the Maybe Islands, a pristine place of fantasy that is really no better than the razor-rocks of misery. Maybe if I had stayed on the farm… maybe if I hadn’t gone with Spike… maybe if I could have lived more peaceably… maybe if I’d met the right person years ago, maybe if I hadn’t done this, or that or, its cousin, the other. Maybe, baby, the promised land was there and I missed it. Look at it glittering in the light. But the truth is I am inventing the maybe. I can only make the choices I make, so why torture myself with what I might have done, when all I can handle is what I have done. The Maybe Islands are hostile to human life.

Maybe so, maybe not.

Tell me the story, Pew. . . .
It was a woman.
You always say that.
There’s always a woman somewhere, child; a princess, a witch, a stepmother, a mermaid, a fairy godmother, or one as wicked as she is beautiful, or as beautiful as she is good.
Is that the complete list?
Then there is the woman you love.
Who’s she?
That’s another story.

And then there’e the story of the woman who loves you.

Every moment you steal from the present is a moment you’ve lost forever. There is only now.

And then it’s now all the way down. Until it’s nothing at all.

Odd to think that the piece of you I know best is already dead. The cells on the surface of your skin are thin and flat without the blood vessels or nerve endings. Dead cells, thickest on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet.

He thought: Come on, does that really count?

Lovers are not at their best when it matters. Mouths dry up, palms sweat, conversation flags and all the time the heart is threatening to fly from the body once and for all. Lovers have been known to have heart attacks. Lovers drink too much from nervousness and cannot perform. They eat too little and faint during their fervently wished consummation. They do not stroke the favoured cat and their face-paint comes loose. This is not all. Whatever you have set store by, your dress, your dinner, your poetry, will go wrong.

And then one votes for Clinton and one votes for Trump.

[b]Ernest Hemingway

…it is all very well for you to write simply and the simpler the better. But do not start to think so damned simply. Know how complicated it is and then state it simply.[/b]

You got that, Kids?

I write one page of masterpiece to ninety-one pages of shit. I try to put the shit in the wastebasket.

The Kid thought: I write one post of masterpiece to ninety-one posts of shit. I try to put the shit in the wastebasket.
[only here nothing can be deleted]

When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead.

So, sure, I torment objectivists instead.

The man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without.

You know, whatever that means.

If the reader prefers, this book may be regarded as fiction. But there is always the chance that such a book of fiction may throw some light on what has been written as fact.

He thought: What a novel idea.

Nobody ever lives their life all the way up except bullfighters.

Well, back when that was actually thought to be true.

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning.” Werner Heisenberg[/b]

Unless of course you’re a satyr.

“We should throw out the notion of a noumenal world & accept the fact that consciousness does not have a grounding in a ‘real world’.” Johann Gottlieb Fichte

So, is that something to be concerned about?

“Money can’t buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.” Christopher Marlowe

Here for example: youtu.be/dRYg2mvT_Ow

“Politicians are not born; they are excreted.” Marcus Tullius Cicero

Trump that if you can!

“One great use of words is to hide our thoughts.” Voltaire

You know, if you have any.

“He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked.” Voltaire

In other words, what he calls answers.

[b]Thomas Nagel

Everything, living or not, is constituted from elements having a nature that is both physical and nonphysical–that is, capable of combining into mental wholes. So this reductive account can also be described as a form of panpsychism: all the elements of the physical world are also mental…[/b]

Let’s just call this a tad too “metaphysical” for me.

This is a throwback to the Aristotelian conception of nature, banished from the scene at the birth of modern science. But I have been persuaded that the idea of teleological laws is coherent, and quite different from the idea of explanation of the intentions of a purposive being who produces the means to his ends by choice. In spite of the exclusion of teleology from contemporary science, it certainly shouldn’t be ruled out a priori. Formally, the possibility of principles of change over time tending toward certain types of outcome is coherent, in a world in which the nonteleological laws are not fully deterministic.

Let’s just call this a tad too “metaphysical” for me.

The widespread willingness to rely on thermonuclear bombs as the ultimate weapon displays a cavalier attitude toward death that has always puzzled me. My impression is that…most of the defenders of these weapons are not suitably horrified at the possibility of a war in which hundreds of millions of people would be killed…I suspect that an important factor may be belief in an afterlife, and that the proportion of those who think that death is not the end is much higher among the partisans of the bomb than among its opponents.

Anyone know Trump’s take on this?

Eventually, I believe, current attempts to understand the mind by analogy with man-made computers that can perform superbly some of the same external tasks as conscious beings will be recognized as a gigantic waste of time.

So, is that more or less ironic?

Humans are addicted to the hope for a final reckoning, but intellectual humility requires that we resist the temptation to assume that tools of the kind we now have are in principle sufficient to understand the universe as a whole.

Kinda what I figured too. After all, we can’t all be James S. Saint. :laughing:

The human will to believe is inexhaustible.

And not just the Kids. But mostly them.

[b]Alexander Pope

Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.[/b]

Also him who expects next to nothing.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

Not to mention all the knowledge inbetween.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.

Even turds?

If you want to know what God thinks about money just look at the people He gives it to.

More to the point: those He doesn’t.
Right, Mr. Trump?

Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends.

Also, the occasional cat.

Whatever is, is right.

Uh-oh.

[b]David Byrne

The two biggest self-deceptions of all are that life has a ‘meaning’ and each of us is unique.[/b]

Right, like there is somebody else like me.

I’m just an advertisement for a version of myself.

And even that one is long since gone.

Things fall apart, it’s scientific.

Not counting everything else of course.

I sense the world might be more dreamlike, metaphorical, and poetic than we currently believe–but just as irrational as sympathetic magic when looked at in a typically scientific way. I wouldn’t be surprised if poetry–poetry in the broadest sense, in the sense of a world filled with metaphor, rhyme, and recurring patterns, shapes, and designs–is how the world works. The world isn’t logical, it’s a song.

This one for example: youtu.be/bntot9LAY08

The more you know, the more you know you don’t know and the more you know that you don’t know.

And then it’s on to folks like Darwin and Marx and Freud.

For years we have been taught not to like things. Finally somebody said it was OK to like things. This was a great relief. It was getting hard to go around not liking everything.

Must have been the year I was in Nam.

[b]Edna O’Brien

In our deepest moments we say the most inadequate things.[/b]

Also, we post the most inadequate things too.

Darkness is drawn to light, but light does not know it; light must absorb the darkness and therefore meet its own extinguishment.

And not just metaphorically. Or perhaps not.

We all leave one another. We die, we change - it’s mostly change - we outgrow our best friends; but even if I do leave you, I will have passed on to you something of myself; you will be a different person because of knowing me; it’s inescapable…

Dasein strikes again!

She said the reason that love is so painful is that it always amounts to two people wanting more than two people can give.

Let alone three or more.

…people liking you or not liking you is an accident and is to do with them and not you. That goes for love too, only more so.

The part revolving around, among other things, contingency, chance and change.

That is the mystery about writing: it comes out of afflictions, out of the gouged times, when the heart is cut open.

The mystery about posting too. Here for example.

[b]Existential Comics

I’m starting to think that it was a mistake to evolve legs and venture onto the land.[/b]

On the other hand, the next Extinction Event is about due. You know, if we’re lucky.

The internet is amazing because it finally gave the power of the media directly to the people. It’s too bad about the people though.

Still, even here there are the folks behind the curtain.

In fairy tales, what the prince is usually rescuing the girl from is having the humiliation of living life as a member of the working class.

Prince Trump for example. Well, after he’s grabbed her pussy.

[b]Things that are the worst:

1. Death
  2. Eternal life[/b]

Though not necessarily in that order.

Whoever said “doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity” never plugged in a usb cable.

This apparently: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
So, is it true?

Sometime I feel bad about myself, but then I remember that at least I don’t go around pointing out “logical fallacies” in jokes on Twitter.

Sounds just like something that you would do. You know, whoever you are.

[b]Jonathan Safran Foer

I read the first chapter of A Brief History of Time when Dad was still alive, and I got incredibly heavy boots about how relatively insignificant life is, and how compared to the universe and compared to time, it didn’t even matter if I existed at all. When Dad was tucking me in that night and we were talking about the book, I asked if he could think of a solution to that problem. “Which problem?” “The problem of how relatively insignificant we are.” He said, “Well, what would happen if a plane dropped you in the middle of the Sahara Desert and you picked up a single grain of sand with tweezers and moved it one millimeter?” I said, “I’d probably die of dehydration.” He said, “I just mean right then, when you moved that single grain of sand. What would that mean?” I said, “I dunno, what?” He said, “Think about it.” I thought about it. “I guess I would have moved one grain of sand.” “Which would mean?” “Which would mean I moved a grain of sand?” “Which would mean you changed the Sahara.” “So?” “So? So the Sahara is a vast desert. And it has existed for millions of years. And you changed it!” “That’s true!” I said, sitting up. “I changed the Sahara!” “Which means?” he said. “What? Tell me.”
“Well I’m not talking about painting the Mona Lisa or curing cancer. I’m just talking about moving that one grain of sand one millimeter.” “Yeah? If you hadn’t done it, human history would have been one way…” “Uh-huh?” “But you did do it, so…?” I stood on the bed, pointing one of my fingers at the fake stars, and screamed: “I changed the course of human history!” “That’s right.” “I changed the universe!” “You did.” “I’m God!” “You’re an atheist.” “I don’t exist!” I fell back onto the bed, into his arms, and we cracked up together.[/b]

Nope, doesn’t impress me at all.

Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose, keep in touch (or don’t), care about birthdays, waste and lose time, brush their teeth, feel nostalgia, scrub stains, have religions and political parties and laws, wear keepsakes, apologize years after an offense, whisper, fear themselves, interpret dreams, hide their genitalia, shave, bury time capsules, and can choose not to eat something for reasons of conscience. The justifications for eating animals and for not eating them are often identical: we are not them.

And that’s before we get to the part where even among our own we are not one of them.

It was getting hard to keep all the things I didn’t know inside me.

Let alone all the things that you don’t know.

She said, Do you have more things that you need, or more that you don’t need?

He thought about it: “Yes, probably”.

Her life was a slow realization that the world was not for her and that for whatever reason she would never be happy and honest at the same time. She felt as if she were brimming always producing and hoarding more love inside her. But there was no release. table ivory elephant charm rainbow onion hairdo violence melodrama honey…None of it moved her. She addressed the world honestly searching for something deserving of the volumes of love she knew she had within her but to each she would have to say I don’t love you.

Yep, she learned that from me.

If it weren’t my life, I wouldn’t have believed it.

And, more times than I could count, I still didn’t.

[b]Alan Moore

Who watches the watchmen?[/b]

And then it’s watchmen all the way down.

Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

He thought: Was that really necessary?

It’s only those exceptional and rare individuals who have brilliant ideas delivered to them by the muse, complete and gift wrapped. The rest of us have to work at it.

And even then in a rather piss-poor shoddy manner.

This is not anarchy, Eve. This is chaos.

For some however as long as it is one or the other.

There seems to be an audience that demands everything be explained to them that everything be easy. And I don’t think that’s doing us any good as a culture. The ease with which we can accomplish or conjure any possible imaginable scenario through CGI is almost directly proportionate to how uninterested we’re becoming in all of this. I can remember Ray Harryhausen’s animated skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts. I can remember Willis O Brien’s King Kong. I can remember being awed at the artistry that had made those things possible. Yes I knew how it was done. But it looked so wonderful. These days I can see half a million Orcs coming over a hill and I am bored. I am not impressed at all. Because frankly I could have gotten someone a passerby on the street who could have gotten the same effect if you’d given them half a million dollars to do it. It removes artistry and imagination and places money in the driver’s seat and I think it’s a pretty straight equation—that there is an inverse relationship between money and imagination.

Star Wars comes to mind. But that’s just me.

Life isn’t divided into genres. It’s a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction cowboy detective novel. You know, with a bit of pornography if you’re lucky.

Well, unless you’re a feminist.

[b]tiny nietzsche

AP: 600 year old submerged Buddha statue discovered; asks to be resubmerged[/b]

Trumpworld, right?

“Everything was cool until I started fucking around with humans.” - drugs

It’s only fair to hear both sides.

I told my doctrine that I was in pain. It said everything is pain.

Indeed, my doctrine just confirmed it.

I’m starting to think this isn’t the future.

Or it isn’t one of them.

The wolf’s natural enemy is the robot.

That and the objectivist.

rock 'em sock 'em nazis

A new meme, right?

[b]Haruki Murakami

I could disappear from the face of the earth, and the world would go on moving without the slightest twinge. Things were tremendously complicated, to be sure, but one thing was clear: no one needed me.[/b]

Besides, we have Trump now, right?

Once a thing goes wrong, then the whole house of cards collapses. And there’s no way you can extricate yourself. Until someone comes along to drag you out.

Let’s synchonize our watches. After all, it won’t be long now.

Our faces were no more than ten inches apart but she was lightyears away from me.

Somewhat exaggerated one suspects.

Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn’t something that has nothing to do with you, This storm is you. Something inside you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn’t get in, and walk through it, step by step. There’s no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up the sky like pulverized bones.

Up next: Luck.

For example, the wind has its reasons. We just don’t notice as we go about our lives. But then, at some point, we are made to notice. The wind envelops you with a certain purpose in mind, and it rocks you. The wind knows everything that’s inside you. And not just the wind. Everything, including a stone. They all know us very well. From top to bottom. It only occurs to us at certain times. And all we can do is go with those things. As we take them in, we survive, and deepen.

Up next: Tarot cards.

My peak? Would I even have one? I hardly had had anything you could call a life. A few ripples. Some rises and falls. But that’s it. Almost nothing. Nothing born of nothing. I’d loved and been loved, but I had nothing to show. It was a singularly plain, featureless landscape. I felt like I was in a video game. A surrogate Pacman, crunching blindly through a labyrinth of dotted lines. The only certainty was my death.

He thought: Let’s change the subject.

[b]John Berger

Never again shall a single story be told as though it were the only one.[/b]

He thought: The only one of what?

When in love, the sight of the beloved has a completeness which no words and no embrace can match: a completeness which only the act of making love can temporarily accommodate.

Or so they tell you.

Whenever the intensity of looking reaches a certain degree, one becomes aware of an equally intense energy coming towards one through the appearance of whatever it is one is scrutinizing.

In other words, we can’t get more specific than that.

I was scared of one thing after another. I still am.
Naturally. How could it be otherwise? You can either be fearless or you can be free, you can’t be both.

I suggest that we meet somewhere in the middle.

The impulse to paint comes neither from observation nor from the soul (which is probably blind) but from an encounter: the encounter between painter and model: even if the model is a mountain or a shelf of empty medicine bottles.

I suggest that we meet somewhere in the middle.

Oil painting did to appearances what capital did to social relations. It reduced everything to the equality of objects. Everything became exchangeable because everything became a commodity.

Must be an art thing.

[b]Charles Darwin

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.[/b]

Why? Only God knows.

If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.

Great works for me.

[b]…Whilst on board the Beagle I was quite orthodox, and I remember being heartily laughed at by several of the officers…for quoting the Bible as an unanswerable authority on some point of morality… But I had gradually come by this time, i.e., 1836 to 1839, to see that the Old Testament from its manifestly false history of the world, with the Tower of Babel, the rainbow at sign, etc., etc., and from its attributing to God the feelings of a revengeful tyrant, was no more to be trusted than the sacred books of the Hindus, or the beliefs of any barbarian.

…By further reflecting that the clearest evidence would be requisite to make any sane man believe in the miracles by which Christianity is supported, (and that the more we know of the fixed laws of nature the more incredible do miracles become), that the men at that time were ignorant and credulous to a degree almost uncomprehensible by us, that the Gospels cannot be proved to have been written simultaneously with the events, that they differ in many important details, far too important, as it seemed to me, to be admitted as the usual inaccuracies of eyewitnesses; by such reflections as these, which I give not as having the least novelty or value, but as they influenced me, I gradually came to disbelieve in Christianity as a divine revelation. The fact that many false religions have spread over large portions of the earth like wild-fire had some weight with me. Beautiful as is the morality of the New Testament, it can be hardly denied that its perfection depends in part on the interpretation which we now put on metaphors and allegories.

But I was very unwilling to give up my belief… Thus disbelief crept over me at a very slow rate, but was at last complete. The rate was so slow that I felt no distress, and have never since doubted even for a single second that my conclusion was correct. I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother and almost all of my friends, will be everlastingly punished.

And this is a damnable doctrine.[/b]

Indeed, it still is.

We stopped looking for monsters under our bed when we realized that they were inside us.

Or, if not inside us, certainly inside them.

The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic.

I don’t know about content, but there it is.

The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognise that we ought to control our thoughts.

Anyone here made it up that far?

[b]Kevin Wilson

Was this how trauma worked? she wondered. Those closest to it remained dumbfounded by the fact that those who weren’t present could derive meaning from it?[/b]

In other words [more likely than not] the wrong meaning.

You are very sweet, she told him after a year of dating, as they shared dessert at a restaurant, but it’s like your family trained you to react to the world in a way that was so specific to their art that you don’t know how to interact with people in the real world. You act like every conversation is just a buildup to something awful.

This family: youtu.be/J-jWH0tIrak

But do you enjoy it? Annie asked. Raven stared at Annie’s reflection in the mirror. I don’t hate it, Raven said. You spend enough time with anything, that’s all you can really ask for.

Let’s make a list of all the exceptions.

That does not surprise me, Annie said and once again hung up the phone thinking that she had chosen to surround herself with people who were, for lack of a better term, retarded.

Much like we come back here day after day after day.

I understand that art is a necessary component of a civilized society, but you cannot just go around shooting people. That’s going to be a problem.

Of course you can do it and not call it art.

I know why you picked that movie, he told her. Annie smiled and said, It fits our life in a few ways, I guess. Buster pointed at the screen, which was now blank. It shows you that you have to stay vigilant to find a missing person, even when people tell you not to, that it’s possible to bring them back from the dead. Annie shook her head. I picked it because it shows that after you bring someone back from the dead, you get to kill them yourself.

He didn’t see that coming. But he wasn’t really surprised.