[...] versus (...)

How come so many people here use brackets instead of parentheses? It’s very unusual. Just wondering…

When we quote someone we have to use brackets…right?

We do? What do you mean?

Here’s an example of using brackets instead of parentheses:

Oh? I don’t know, I don’t do that and I haven’t seen it much.

I know of a few people who always do it. Iambiguous, Statiktech, Quetzalcoatl. I think there’s more.

I like to switch back and fourth with them.

How come?

Because as an anarchist he doesn’t do much in a coherent manner.

Depends on the mood or the context of what I am writing about.

You’re funny.

That’s what I was going for.

Sheer laziness. s are closer to the middle of the keyboard than ()s. Plus you don’t have to shift with s, right?

That is a stylistic choice at best, and ignorance or laziness at worst (depending on which you consider worse). Brackets should only be used when adding, skipping, or paraphrasing something while quoting someone.

Oh, ok. Thanks. It’s actually hard to make brackets on my keyboard. Both keys with my right pinkie.

I use () when I include additional supporting information, and when I just don’t feel like creating a new sentence. I use when I include information that is not really important (that can be ignored) but I feel like putting in anyway.

Personally, I find the ( ) to be feminine, and to be masculine. I do not think it matters how we use them, it becomes an individual writing style.
Symbols can say more than words.
For instance, – portrays confidence and / portrays arrogance.

(I prefer parentheses )

This irks me.

Brackets should only ever be used when adding or subtracting from a quote, as has already been said, and possibly when making a parenthetic statement within parentheses (for example, this is a parenthetic statement that most of you won’t need to get the point [but I added it anyway, because it allows me to do this, underscoring Pandora’s point]). Double parentheses are fine as well, for instance “(example (elucidation))”, but it may also be confusing.

Also, SkyBear: “–” emphasises a clause, so when I write something – and want to specifically point out something important, elucidating my original point when parentheses are not good enough (as parenthetic statements do not emphasise but, for instance, merely add to someting, recalls information, or elaborate upon the already said in a relatively insignificant manner) and stand-alone brackets would be incorrect --, whereas “/” symbolises a disjunction, as in “this is consistent with grammatical rules and/or coherent with common usage”. Symbols can say more than words, yes, but if they are used arbitrarily they say something that is likely to confuse.

Are you a teacher?

No, actually, I’m just an insufferable know-it-all with a faiblesse for grammar.

Yes, it is confusing either way - used correctly or incorrectly.

Our typing takes on the appearance of our tone.
When used correctly a person can appear to be intelligent and uptight. (A person who ‘thinks’ too much)

When used incorrectly with confidence a person may appear creative (free thinker)

Or a knuckle head trying too hard ‘either way’
Typing is the new hand writing.
Write with confidence and you will be fine. Few will really know, if they call you out they will appear uptight.
Unless of course you are an Editor, then you must KNOW the rules.
Symbols are the new cursive :wink: keep it classy.
I did appreciate the Skybear in bold. It caught my eye.