Absolute Randomness

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Absolute Randomness

Postby Twilight of the Idols » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:52 am

Very often I'll have little thoughts that in no way justify their own thread but nag at me to pass them along. Assuming most others know just what I mean, use this thread as an outlet for those thoughts.

EDIT: 5/26/2006

This thread has taken on something of its own form. Not long ago, I spent a good two hours reading over a large chunk of the thread with my girlfriend after having told her its mood is rather dark and emotional. Reading the posts one by one provides a certain sense of comedy, dispair, beauty ... it truly has an aura much as a mirror turned to humanity. Just as life itself can seem a hodepodge of thoughts and opinions, without much order at all, what has emerged herein, far from being a loose and pointless collection of nothings, is something approaching a book of musings. (Honestly; take a moment and read a five- or six-page block if you doubt me :wink:.)

As an elaboration of the earlier guidelines: Please do not post under the influence of the thread's title. With all respect to each and every post made thusfar, this is not a place to type 'fjsajkhye98' and move on (yes, similar posts have been made); nor is it a place to post a sentence or two void of any intelligible purpose. Do post quotes, little stories, humor, witticisms, ironies, general observations, board-related observations, self-reflections, poetry and poetic musings, links, images, and of course, comments on other posts.

As I said initially, this is the place to post things that don't necessarily warrant their own thread - that is, things which don't project well in terms of lengthy discussion and debate - but indeed have inherent value worth passing on. (Tongue-in-cheek I would remark there's more than a few threads currently on page-one's around the board that fall into this catagory [-X.)

In closing, I probably didn't even have to make this edit/addition; but I've long since begun to realize there is a strikingly artistic and deep meditative quality starting to emerge in this thread. Let's keep it going.

- Daybreak
Last edited by Twilight of the Idols on Fri May 26, 2006 10:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Twilight of the Idols
Jenseits von Gut und Böse

Postby Atalanta » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:15 am

chaos at high volume
  • Into the soul
    Into the heart
    Into the dark. . .
Atalanta
Huntress

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:19 pm

Sure, a sort of notepad...

edit - my thought for the day: Comparing Canadian ham flavour crisps to proper British ham then deriding the Canadians for their inferior pork produce is a fallacious argument, as I demonstrated at length in the pub last night...
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby Dan~ » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:27 pm

someoneisatthedoor wrote:Sure, a sort of notepad...
edit - my thought for the day: Comparing Canadian ham flavour crisps to proper British ham then deriding the Canadians for their inferior pork produce is a fallacious argument, as I demonstrated at length in the pub last night...

Pub ey? Im from Canada, Alberta to be presise.
Maybe iceland is best? Or Japan?...
for living, but ham? Ham sux! Pork tapeworp capsalizes in the heart muscle even... :o Evil pigz i tellz yah!
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby Impenitent » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:44 pm

the pigs in canada wallow in as much shit as the pigs in england...

but green eggs...

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

What's the difference between a liberal and Al Qaeda?
Oh, you don't know either?

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" -Eco
Impenitent
ILP Legend

Postby Mucius Scevola » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:04 pm

Dan wrote:
Im from Canada, Alberta to be presise.

Is that where love is~ ?...
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Mucius Scevola
philosopher

Postby Atalanta » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm

Impenitent wrote:the pigs in canada wallow in as much shit as the pigs in england...

pigs taste better if you pull their pjs off before roasting...Yummie!
  • Into the soul
    Into the heart
    Into the dark. . .
Atalanta
Huntress

Postby Twilight of the Idols » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:24 pm

Dude, bacon rocks. Oh, and I like the new Korn video.
Twilight of the Idols

Postby Mucius Scevola » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:05 pm

Pigs taste better and their meat is less packed with negative energy if they are assured a non-stressful life and, most important, a serene death.

Lay off the pigs, people !
Mucius Scevola
philosopher

Postby Twilight of the Idols » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:19 pm

The cost of printer ink is outrageous. Sixty friggin' dollars?? My printer didn't cost that much.
Twilight of the Idols

Postby Impenitent » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:29 pm

Daybreak wrote:The cost of printer ink is outrageous. Sixty friggin' dollars?? My printer didn't cost that much.

have you ever milked a squid?

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

What's the difference between a liberal and Al Qaeda?
Oh, you don't know either?

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" -Eco
Impenitent
ILP Legend

Postby possum » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:54 am

thats gold.

mental note to self... christmas is coming, go shopping for prezzies. (i always forget christmas and i have some very demandnig nephews.)
save a tree - eat a beaver.
possum

Postby Twilight of the Idols » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 am

I'm not buying anyone anything this year. Call me Scrooge.
Twilight of the Idols

Postby Pinnacle of Reason » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:34 am

Randomness is unprovable. because to prove randomness, you need to show it has an order. but if you can't find an order, that does not proof randomness. but that you have failed to find order.

the real question here is why am I so smart?
"Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live." Chapter 11 Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler
Pinnacle of Reason
BANNED

Postby Atalanta » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:41 pm

Google ad appearing on left hand side...

Conscious Dreaming
Dream consciously in just 7 days! New kit reveals all. Just $59.95
http://www.Lucid-Dreaming-Kit.com/

:-? --ok, I'll take 3.:P

the lighter blue is a nice choice, obw.
  • Into the soul
    Into the heart
    Into the dark. . .
Atalanta
Huntress

Postby xanderman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:38 pm

Absolute Randomness

(not really absolute here)

"But they are all children." she said, confused.

"Of course, everyone is a child in Heaven," the angle gentley replied.

"But why?"

"Do you really think it would be possible for an adult to live in perfect bliss and happiness for all eternity?"
xanderman
Mundane Turtle

Postby Twilight of the Idols » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:31 pm

Having been very concerned the past few days I may have failed my math final (and subsequently failed the class - it was an exit exam), I checked my grades online just now to find I indeed passed with flying colors! WOO HOO!! 8)

This was a class I had already failed once, and is also a class that doesn't even count for college credit - i.e. I have to pass this one and the next one in order to graduate. Had I failed, it would have meant I'd need to still take two math classes to graduate. Now, it's down to one!

So only three more classes (one semester!!) to graduate!
Twilight of the Idols

Postby Gobbo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:24 pm

I was just at the mall and well... desperate moms are friggin nuts.
Gobbo
Choronzon

Postby possum » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:07 pm

ahhh, oh i respect your self restraint, simly ignoring POR. im sure had i been the following poster i would have .... verbally wrung his neck.

people in dublin are sooo rude.... yes, little, aussie possum has gone worldwide, and is nearly being trampled in the process. OG, beware of desperate irish mums... oooooooooooooh.
save a tree - eat a beaver.
possum

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:34 pm

Daybreak wrote:I'm not buying anyone anything this year. Call me Scrooge.

Scrooge.

I've mainly bought media (books, movies) as presents this year. And some chocolate...
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby xanderman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:44 pm

Never let a blind man drive your car, even in a dream.
xanderman
Mundane Turtle

Postby Twilight of the Idols » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:14 pm

possum wrote:ahhh, oh i respect your self restraint, simly ignoring POR. im sure had i been the following poster i would have .... verbally wrung his neck.

people in dublin are sooo rude.... yes, little, aussie possum has gone worldwide, and is nearly being trampled in the process. OG, beware of desperate irish mums... oooooooooooooh.

I would have said something, but his comment above actually made me smile and think that it was almost approriate in a thread like this. 8)
Twilight of the Idols

Postby Skydaemon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:17 pm

xanderman wrote:Never let a blind man drive your car, even in a dream.

Have you been letting me drive again?
Once again there is pain, I bring flames, I bring cold; I'm the Blood Red Sandman coming home; On this unholy night, I will make you my own; Blood Red Sandman coming home again. - Lordi
Skydaemon
ILP Legend

Postby xanderman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:19 pm

Skydaemon wrote:Have you been letting me drive again?

In fact, yes. Everyone did.
xanderman
Mundane Turtle

Postby Mucius Scevola » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:23 pm

I bought my dad a ceramic something resembling the Ten Commandments Tablets, with the Ten Commandments written on it. I thought it would make a nice present, especially because I had nothing else in mind.

When I unwrapped the ceramic thingy to look at it, I accidentally dropped it and it broke in two pieces. At first I was angry but immediately after, the image of Moses descending from Mount Sinai and bashing the Decalogue against the ground popped in my head and it made me feel better. It gave me a prophetic feeling...

Now I have to glue the tablets back with super-glue, considering that if I went back to the shop, they wouldn't give a new one for free...

Cheerio...
Mucius Scevola
philosopher

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat