Official: Post a Picture of Yourself

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Official: Post a Picture of Yourself

Postby gib » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 pm

mannikin wrote:Always.. There are answers in all my paintings..nothing is in vain.

Hmm... interesting. That's kind of the opposite of mine. The meaninglessness you see in mine is deliberate. I want to see what the viewer projects onto it.
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby mannikin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Im not sure if there is any such thing as meaningless
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby gib » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:42 pm

mannikin wrote:Im not sure if there is any such thing as meaningless

I actually agree with this. But the meaning that exists in my drawings is in plane sight. For example, Doll in the Snow: What you see there is a doll that perhaps was abandoned in a dark alley. It stayed there for who knows how long, collecting dust, getting soaked by rain, getting worn by the elements. And then the snow started falling. The doll wears a strange mask emanating a red glow. <-- But that's it. That's all I give you. There's no hidden meaning. As far as why the doll is wearing the mask or why it's glowing, well, I have nothing. That's the void I want the viewer to fill with their own meaning.

Now admittedly, sometimes I can't help myself, and I project my own meaning onto it, such as the description I give on the right hand side at my website, the one about the demon seeking a place to rest, but even that is a meaning that wasn't originally there and it fills a void.

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:34 pm

gib wrote:
mannikin wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:Makes me wonder just what he IS reading - and what the other two books are and just who "he" is.

Only i know this and i will take it to my grave.

So presumably, there's an actual answer to this question?

Gib,

is the sense of wonderment which the painting has provoked more important than having the question itself answered?

I think that sometimes what rises up in us as a result of the art is more important.
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby gib » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:is the sense of wonderment which the painting has provoked more important than having the question itself answered?

It's an interesting question. I think the impression art gives the viewer (sense of wonderment) is its primary natural function, but once the artist explicitly says they have a secret intended meaning, that completely distracts from the original impression.

It's like someone saying: "I've got a secret but I'm not telling." <-- Well, now you've gotta know.

And then there's the question of: what happens when there's a riff between what the viewer gets out of the art and what the artist intends. I mean, if you look at Manni's piece in her sig, she (he?) seems to be saying that man is devolving into a pig (metaphorically, of course) in virtue of our lazy, fast-food, immediate gratification culture. But what if, in Manni's mind, pigs are beautiful, awesome creatures, and it's a privilege to be evolving towards them? Then Manni might be disconcerted and say: "No, no, no, you've got it all wrong!" Is it more important to go with our own first impressions or try to get at what the artist intended?

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby mannikin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:25 am

For fuck sake, if you must know...he's reading kamasutra for children edition....

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby mannikin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:38 pm

..because he's a detective trying to understand the psychology of what makes the criminal tick regarding this material..
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 pm

gib,

But what if, in Manni's mind, pigs are beautiful, awesome creatures, and it's a privilege to be evolving towards them? Then Manni might be disconcerted and say: "No, no, no, you've got it all wrong!"

I may be wrong here but if you look at the man right before he transformed into a pig --with his belly hanging down and the bag which is in his hand, it's pretty clear the connotation which manni was trying to provoke.
Aside from that, I think that pigs are really cute. I wonder if they actually consume as much as us humans do in one meal.

Is it more important to go with our own first impressions or try to get at what the artist intended?

There is always that first impression but to go with just that?!!! would be mindless don't you think?
It's fascinating and fun to try to figure out what the artist intended but it's even more fun and worthwhile to "see" what the art invokes in us?
it's like going on a kind of journey of discovery - and inward one.
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby AutSider » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 am

AutSider
Truth seeker

Postby mannikin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:27 am

i'm stronger
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby gib » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 am

AutSider wrote:Image

Dude, you gotta prove that's you.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 pm

AutSider wrote:[img]---[/img]

I see you got back in the gym like you said you would.. good job.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:23 pm

AutSider wrote:Image

I cannot believe that YOU posted THAT.
Is it really you? :-k

It is quite a pleasant image. :mrgreen:
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Aut, hurry up and seal the deal before she goes fickle on you.
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Aut, hurry up and seal the deal before she goes fickle on you.

Pleasant images are just that. They don't need to be more than that, UP.
Stop your projecting!
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby gib » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Stop your projecting!

Arc, I think you're projecting your accusations of projection. :D

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:26 pm

gib wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:
Stop your projecting!

Arc, I think you're projecting your accusations of projection. :D

Nice avatar, gib. :lol:
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Artimas » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 pm

MagsJ wrote:
AutSider wrote:[img]---[/img]

I see you got back in the gym like you said you would.. good job.

I just saw that INTJ in your signature, did the test and got INTJ as well.. lol

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(34%) Thinking(31%) Judging(3%) for me.

I know... off topic. lol.

A "god" who deserves worship will be humble enough to reject it; A "god" who demands worship will not be worthy of it.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Postby MagsJ » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Artimas wrote:I just saw that INTJ in your signature, did the test and got INTJ as well.. lol

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(34%) Thinking(31%) Judging(3%) for me.

That would explain our identical penchant for caducei and other such things.. our percentages being quite close I guess.. especially the weirdly low Judging element.

Now I understand why whenever I read your posts, I instantly got you/understood the perspective you were coming from.. weird, but cool. :D
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby gib » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:39 am

Pic taken by my daughter:

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:00 am

Awe, that looks like a happy moment Gibsomemore.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby gib » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 am

WendyDarling wrote:Awe, that looks like a happy moment Gibsomemore.

Yeah, we were having a good time. Forget where we were going though.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby mannikin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Mr Bean
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat