Page 1 of 1

I am looking for help with a survey for my philosophy class

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:27 am
by cntryluv
I am currently taking a intro course to philosophy and for my final I am to do a survey on a topic of my choice and thought that this would be a good place to find some people knowledgeable who might be willing to help thank you. :)

________________________________________________________

Age

Religion

Do you believe in a soul?

If no please explain.

If yes where do you believe the soul resides?

What reason do you give for believing the soul exists?

What do you believe happens to the soul while you are asleep?

What do you believe happens to the soul after death?

Do you believe it is possible to lose the soul? (please explain)


Please feel free to add anything that you may fee would be benificial to my survey.

________________________________________________________
Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:23 pm
by Matt
Age

25

Religion

Atheist

Do you believe in a soul?

No, to do so requires belief in some sort of 'invisible ether' or 'next world', which are just left over fallacies from the pre-rational world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:11 am
by Sheâ„¢
Age

>> 27

Religion

>> N/A, deconverted Christian

Do you believe in a soul?

>> Not if, by soul, you mean independent personality surviving the death of the body.

If no please explain.

>> I have experienced nothing that would require such a belief.

If yes where do you believe the soul resides?

>> The experience that is Self is made possible by the functions of the brain. No brain, no self.

What reason do you give for believing the soul exists?

>> n/a

What do you believe happens to the soul while you are asleep?

>> There are different states of consciousness for different stages of sleep. In certain stages, as for death, the self dissolves into nothing (no experiencing).

What do you believe happens to the soul after death?

>> It is like going to sleep -- no experiencing. However, I had a dream that the universe could translate the self (the after-effect of physical causes) so that it could travel the whole universe similar to the way sound does, and that there was a location in the universe where beings were not mortal -- where mortality was like a failed science experiment toward immortality, or where selves were harvested from mortal beings into an immortal state of being. 'translate' -- like the way a tape recorder translates music from tape to speaker, or how computer translates shit fromt he hd to the screen or speakers... However, I have no actual experience of this happening to the 'self'.

Do you believe it is possible to lose the soul? (please explain)

>> It is possible to sleep, it is possible to die... it is not possible to give your 'experience that is Self' to anybody else so that you no longer experience/are it (as in, selling one's soul to The Devil, 'cause you weren't using it... thankyou, "O Brother, Where Art Thou?")...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:51 am
by BMW-Guy
Age: 16

Religion:
Christianity

Yes, I believe all people have a soul, which dwells within the physical body until death.

I believe the soul exsists based upon the teaching of the Bible.

I believe the soul does not change while one is asleep

After death, I believe the soul goes to reside either in heaven or hell.

No, I do not believe that it is ever possible for one to lose his soul. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:34 am
by Andromeda
Age: 35

Religion: Agnostic

Do you believe in a soul?:

Its possible that one exists but i tend to think it just a man made concept

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:54 pm
by SimpleJustice
Age

>>15

Religion

>>Baptist

Do you believe in a soul?

>>Yes

If yes where do you believe the soul resides?

>>In my left shoulder, actually i don't know where, maybe the heart? But thats where Jesus is.... I'll have to think about that one.

What reason do you give for believing the soul exists?

>>Ze Bible zes I haff a zoul, zerefore I haff a zoul

What do you believe happens to the soul while you are asleep?

>>It sits there, reads a book, watches TV....

What do you believe happens to the soul after death?

>>Heaven or Hell

Do you believe it is possible to lose the soul? (please explain)

>>I disagree with BMW on this, its possible to sell your soul to the devil, i.e. diliberately set yourself up for hell. In this way you lose control of your soul, and therby the soul itself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:33 pm
by Curuniel
Age: 15
Religion: Atheist
Do you believe in a soul?: No
I believe that a person has a self, if that makes sense. It's the person you are, the one that emerges when you're young and haven't been exposed to society much yet. Your self is the same no matter what changes you undergo as you grow up, but you might disguise parts of it or add to it as you experience life. Thus your self is often not the personality you show to people.
However I don't believe the self survives after death, as a soul does (I suppose?). When you die, you stop experiencing life, and your self no longer exists.

Hope that makes some sense, I really haven't worked out my view properly. :oops:
PM me for debate/clarification!

soles hidden holes diggin holes dragon robes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:57 am
by diebose
27

religion- zero belief .. The paradox of pentacles

Soles exhist in the minds of the week......sole is like saying energy had a choice of witch path it follows....energy travels between the conducive paths polarizing particles along the way...... the believe of a sole is happless hope for individual flattery......if you wanna be the waste/ground of human energy so that a chosen phew atlantians can posses unthinkable gifts then cheers.......we are but a path apart ......with only I common likeness....we are all part of the outlet of energy. All we need is something to complete a circut and our paths our critical to eatchothers existence....lol dont believe a thing I just typed.....wouldnt wanna poisen the minds of gods children....Thank god for parasites.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:51 pm
by creation imperfect
Age --> 16

Religion --> Christian

Do you believe in a soul? --> Yes

If no please explain. -->n/a

If yes where do you believe the soul resides? --> ankle, maybe?

What reason do you give for believing the soul exists? -->i think without it there can be no consciousness, therefore it must be around there somewhere

What do you believe happens to the soul while you are asleep? -->i try not to think about what it could be doing...a soul needs its privacy too

What do you believe happens to the soul after death? -->it either goes to heaven or hell, or maybe indiana, which is WAY more boring than hell

Do you believe it is possible to lose the soul? (please explain) -->probably, yeah. i lost a shoe the other day and i was looking for it for like, 3 hours. but then i found it under the couch. i didn't see any souls under there but you never know.

Re: I am looking for help with a survey for my philosophy cl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:07 pm
by sarax
cntryluv wrote:I am currently taking a intro course to philosophy and for my final I am to do a survey on a topic of my choice and thought that this would be a good place to find some people knowledgeable who might be willing to help thank you. :)

________________________________________________________

Age
16
Religion
agnostic
Do you believe in a soul?
diffiucult to say, i believe there is a diffrence between mind and body
If no please explain.

If yes where do you believe the soul resides?
it is intrinsically linked with the body
What reason do you give for believing the soul exists?
the way mind can affect the body, sick people can become better if they beleve they are given a cure when they aren't actually. in other words psychosomatic
What do you believe happens to the soul while you are asleep?
dreams?
What do you believe happens to the soul after death?

Do you believe it is possible to lose the soul? (please explain)
no as linked with body
Please feel free to add anything that you may fee would be benificial to my survey.

________________________________________________________
Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated. :D

Re: I am looking for help with a survey for my philosophy cl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:37 am
by surreptitious75

AGE : POINT ON A SPECTRUM
RELIGION : NO NO NO AND NO
DO YOU BELIEVE IN A SOUL : I DONT DO BELIEF
IF NO PLEASE EXPLAIN : I LIKE BEING RATIONAL