Presents

Hello all,
I’m new, just thought I should introduce my self and ask a quick question.
What would you buy a philosopher as a present? I’m trying to find a gift for a teacher / friend and am looking for some inspiration. Being a student I’m on a bit of a budget though.
Thank you all.

a lifetime membership to I love philosophy.com

or find out who their faviority philosopher is, then find out a good qoute from that person. type it up in some nice paper and font, then frame it. It’ll work.

someone who i was with for a long time loved philosophy and i got him a philosophical dictionary, i can’t remember the name of it, but it was like 600 pages of nothing but philisophical ideas and reason. you can find it at book stores.

Actually my cousin DubZ has a Philosophical Dictionary. It is awesome. That is where I really started gettting interested in philosophy. I was flipping through the pages and landed on reality. And wow did that captivate me. It explained the major contributors on the idea of reality and metaphysics, etc. Everyone should have one!

I agree they are among the best references to invest in. As an addendum, I also recommend the Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, in particular.

Go for Bertrand Russell’s History of Western Philosophy.

He might have it already (any self respecting philosopher should!) but it provides an effective chronological overview of western philosophy from Thales to William James…not Russell himself though and his contemporaries Moore and Wittgenstein…unfortunately! :astonished: