Amsterdam vs Vancouver

Alright. I am going to one or the other, but I haven’t made up my mind which it will be.

Here are my problems:

Amsterdam envelopes my idea of the perfect culture, atmosphere, and environment.

BUT, the currency exchange rate isn’t too good. The American dollar is equal to roughly 80 euro cents. I can only stay for three months at a time, and it would cost me around $1000 to have my van shipped over there. So, while I’ll be living the “existential dream,” I’ll be biking it and living in hostels. I don’t know how long this will be appealing to me, but I do know that the experience will be far more intense than that of Vancouver, the “inferior” brother to Amsterdam.

Vancouver is like a mediocre version of Amsterdam. BUT, the American dollar is equal to roughly $1.30 Canadian dollars. I can stay for six months, and I can drive my van there spending no more than $400 in gas. When I run out of money, I can cross the border, work in Washington for a month or two, and then go back. It’s perfect.

Now, I need you guys to tell me about any personal experiences with the two places, if you have had any. Is Vancouver as good as it has been made out to be?

I want drugs, art, beautiful landscapes, liberal life styles, and a general bohemian hedonism all around.

Also, if any fellow philosophers might like to join me, I’d love your company. We’d split the costs down the middle, and have the time of our lives. We can either rent our housing or reside in my van:

I have a Volkswagen Westfalia camper van. It has a stove, frig, sink, electrical outlets, and sleeps four comfortably. It is in mint condition. A virtual house on wheels.

Just tell me where you are, and I’ll pick you up. I’m in Raleigh, N.C., and won’t be leaving until spring 2005. That gives us plenty of time to save up money.

Of course, if you do decide to go, we will meet before hand, if not talk on the phone and exchange pictures.

Come on, you know you want to! Forget about “school” and your future. I’ll teach you everything you need to know, and take care of you as if you were my brother/sister.

Aw, how sweet.

We gotta get our kicks before the whole shit-house goes up in flames, my friends.

San Francisco?

Been there and done that.

I don’t like the weather there or the driving conditions.

Driving a clutch(manual transmission) is next to impossible on those hilly streets, and it rains often.

I know, I’m being picky, but also one of the priority reasons for choosing Vancouver or Amsterdam is because marijuana is legal, cheap, and very high grade.