Hello! New to ILP. :)

(Also posted on the Pol/Econ board)

Hello!

My name is Samantha (Sam), and I’m new to ilovephilosophy.com. I’m an 18 year old student in the UK, and have just applied to university, mainly to study Politics. However, one course is also coupled with Philosophy and Economics, and all the courses involve some sort of Political Philosophy module. So, my interests lie in improving my understanding of Philosophy, and in particular Political Philosophy.

In my personal statement on my university application form, I mentioned an argument I’d read involving private property. I have read quite a lot of the “right to property?” discussion here, but would be grateful if anyone could provide me with any more material for food for thought. Any books, too?

Thanks everyone. If you have time, leave a short reply describing yourself.

Greetings Samantha
thanks for the introduction. im 19, female and living in singapore. political science interests me. i know nothing about property except for what little readings on marx i did and some A level economics URGH.
so anyway i too just entered uni and intend to do philosophy and lit. :smiley:
care to share your university entrance statement?
see you around ya.

i couldn’t help but resist posting (even with midterms looming) but i am also a 19 year old female student in second year at uni. i’m doing a philo and polsci thingy. books to recommend for polsci; mill (on libertry) all the way and plato (repiublic). damn! i sound so cliche. but the most important thing about philosophy is learning how to do it. and reading these thinkers will teach you that.

Hello, I’m new as well. My name is John and I was told about this site by a friend of mine. I’m an art student and also enjoy writing and music. Right now I’m reading a book about the golden ratio. It’s crazy stuff.

uhhh… hi everybody.

I’m not 19.
I’m not female.
but… what’s going on?

I just wanted to say hi, and was curious on what in the golden ratio, is that the same as the golden spiral?

the golden spiral is related to the golden ratio. the golden rectangle and such spins off from it too.

Hey john, have you ever seen a movie called Pi?

Hey trix, where in Canada are you from?

hey gadfly,

i live in toronto, born in italy, raised in a town outside of toronto. we’re you at boy?

Hello there Samantha nice flower.

Well here in the mundane babble feel free to tell us if you pick your nose and eat it! It doesnt quite delve into the important things in life, like pixxys, horses hooves, ingrowing toe nails, cluedo, imaginary goats etc. But its deep enough and interesting watching things and peoples opinions collide like asteriods into planets or poo following into water.- on a rare occation though theres something that’ll get you thinking anyways, so live at the sand

Fly me to the moon
Let me sing among those stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars

In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby kiss me

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore

In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

boy?..ahem…
if you consider a 24 yr old a boy then fine. Otherwise, it’s Mr. Gadfly of ILP to you :laughing: :wink: :laughing:

I live in Mississauga, born in Slovakia, raised…mostly in Canada (Calgary, Etobicoke, Malton, and Mississauga)