important disclosure

I’ve got something that disturbed me to disclose.

I found out that my real name Jonathan, with means “Gift of God”, is translatable into “Baghdad!!!” Kind of weird (for me at least) as when I look back at the war, they could have said they’re off to bomb “Jonathan!”

PS, yes I too am very drunk at the moment.

hmmm . . . so from my understanding, all of our moderators are a bunch of drunkards. :astonished:
you may wish to know, that right now, i am very very not drunk, although i did have a few beers at work earlier tonight.

Are philosophers alcoholics by nature or by necessity? :laughing:

Kajun stated:

Objection your honour!
This poster is committing the False Dilemma Fallacy (reducing several possibilities to two alternatives) which is implicating all philosophers in a bad light. Secondly, it is assuming all philosophers to be drunkards! In light of this occurence, I would like to ask for a recess so that I can have a drink…ahm…I mean freshen up. :laughing: :wink:

What’s your take?

lol

far to confused to know whether to take ya seriously or not

Darn, I thought the winking and laughing yellow faces would have given it away.

I need a drink!

Useful tidbit: The fabled philosopher’s stone when mixed with alcohol, produced gold. I rarely imbibe spirits, but when i do, make mine Scotch, Johnny Walker Black.

Pour with mingled cream and amber.
I will drain that glass again.
such hilarious visions clamber,
through the chambers of my brain.

quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies
come to life and fade away.
what care i how time advances?
I am drinking ale today!

Edgar Allan Poe

Presently, my favorite drink is Chocolate Martini. Vanilla Vodka with White Creme de Cacoa. And ofcourse some chocolate. I don’t drink much, but I use to when I worked at a bar. In line with Marshall’s story, I wish to share my own…for my 21st birthday I had a little party at the bar I use to work at and needless to say…well, I got plastered…puked so much I was dry heeving and everything. My point is, although I don’t remember if I made it up on my birthday or before, but I know I was heard exulting the following little phrase that has a catchy tune to it, atleast the way I say it: “I’ve only had a beer, and yet I feel like a meeeere…drunkeeeeen deeeeeer!”

It wasn’t until this night (my 21st b-day) that I realized why Tequila is called that. You know ‘to-kill-ya’.

What’s your take?

I really need my three best friends and my worst enemy right now.

Johnnie Walker, Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels (3 wise men)

and my worst enemy:

Mr. Jose Cuervo

Me no toucha da ‘to-kill-ya’ senor smooth.

im tyotally plastered (yetty). never drink red wime and guiness!

me neither senor McDaniel

I’m going to be 18 reasonably soon and have never drunk before. Whats a good alcoholic drink with low alcohol content? I don’t want to get wasted on my birthday! Is it still possible to philosophise under the influence of alcohol?

Seeing as you’re from australia I recommend a Victoria Bitter, the real taste of australia! :wink: I’m amazed you’ve never drunk before but that doesn’t really matter. Beer is good to drink because it has a large volume/alcohol ratio so it’s less easy to drink in excess as opposed to spirits and mixers etc.

About philosophising when drunk, may i refer you to the film “The Life of David Gale”. There is a superb scene in it where the protagonist played by Kevin Spacey wanders out of a pub completely drunk and starts ranting about Socrates to all the passers by that he meets! Brilliant scene!
And of course, the legendary philosophers song by Monty Python

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, [some versions have ‘Schopenhauer and Hegel’]

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There’s nothing Nietzche couldn’t teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away–
Half a crate of whisky every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
‘I drink, therefore I am.’

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a bugger when he’s pissed.

Have a good one!

-ben

I’d just like to note that HVD phoned me last night, completely pissed off his tits and shouted down the receiver “IIIII LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE PHILOSOSPHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

it was a turning point in my life.

• ben

Hey now, I wasn’t completely pissed. I could still recite the alphabet bacwards, and proceeded to do so, many, many times; and very, very loudly.

Does pissed mean plastered in the U.K.?

Man, means something quite different but not totally unrelated here in the states.

Word Raf. Pissed means plastered, i’ve listened to enough Pink Floyd to know.