Censorship

Was HVD right to ban D?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

D,

Firstly, I am glad you have decided to apologise to all the users of the website.

Secondly, this has nothing to do with censorship, or with me disagreeing with your philosophy. This has to do with you destroying a discussion that involved several others and was being read by many more. While what you may have done does not expressly violate any of the written rules of the site, it does quite flagrantly violate the spirit. I expect a certain amount of courtesy and intelligence from the users of these forums, so it should not be necessary to write “OH, AND BY THE WAY, DON’T DELETE YOUR POSTS IN THE MIDDLE OF A DISCUSSION, D00DS” in the rules. We cannot have rules for every eventuality, we can merely hope that everybody follows the spirit, as well as the letter of the law.

It is possible to make a point without resorting to the calculated destruction of a discussion many users were enjoying. It is possible to concede defeat by merely stating “Oh right, sorry, I guess you’re right” rather than deleteing posts. Calling what you did “demonstrating my point” is the internet equivalent of calling an unmade bed art.

Creating a poll asking if what I did was right is nothing more than attention whoring. It really does demonstrate the sincerity of your apology, or lack thereof. We do not need “gimmick” posters here, nor do we need attention whores.

Finally, you may be right in saying that this board is undemocratic, indeed it is a benevolent dictatorship, but saying that this board is run unfairly is ridiculous. All our users are equally expected to behave themselves. No exceptions are, or have been, made.

nicely said, HVD.

Greetings D/X and HVD,
since D/X has decided to make this post public, I thought I would comment. A) Making this public makes it appear that you are trying to downgrade HVD and the entire message board itself. You could have easily Private Messaged HVD about the matter. B) What you violated, in my opinion, is probably best termed ‘netiquette’. The unwritten rules of behaviour. C) This website has a lot to offer anyone interested in intellectual discussion on just about any topic. I would say that generally, the people on this website are courteous, respectful, and have helped bring about a certain prestige to this message board. We don’t have thousands of members, we don’t claim to be the best or the smartest at anything, but what we do have is discussion that really means something. I believe that not only do these discussions help the members, but I believe they will one day (if they aren’t already) help shape the world (in a small way) into something better. D) To say that you accept HVD’s banning you from this website and then to say that you have decided to leave anyway because you feel it was unfair and undermocratic, is just low. Once again you don’t provide any evidence whatsoever, you don’t back anything up, you come out ranting radical statements in a jumble of confusion. E) To come out and say that you sincerely apologies for causing any bad feelings and then to go and try to cause bad feelings make you a hypocrit, a lier, and a person that articulates him/herself in a way that is not to be taken seriously or to hold any value.

D/X stated:

Wrong, none of us have had to resort to any kind of deceiving or manipulation in order to get a point across. If you can’t get a point across, go to school, open up books, do research into your points of view which will help you to form and to articulate your own points, and pick up a dictionary. But never, I mean never, try to mess with peoples heads for your own end. It’s disrespectful and pretencious. It assumes that you have some point to make that is so esoteric that our feable little minds could not come to understand it if you used mere words. Read some Kant (a philosopher) and find out about why you shouldn’t treat people merely as a means to your own end, and always as ends in themselves.

D/X stated:

Oh, so all of a sudden you can articulate your point without deceiving anyone. You say your point was simple, so are you being arrogant and we are just that dumb for you, or are you just so deep in your lies that you don’t even know what you are saying anymore? Hint: A simple point is usually best made by first trying to say it…simply. Furthermore, the problem is not your language, or what you call hyperphilosophy, the problem is that you ignored, disrespected, demeaned, and basically eroded any sense of clarity or sense within the discussions that spawned from your scrabble.

D/X stated:

Yes, your posts were quite meaningless. Not entirely, but for the aim or proliferation of discussion - they were meaningless. The fact that the posters are allowed to have the power to edit and delete their own posts is a privelege and a convenience, it is not there for you to use in a deceiving way, or to try to further your own cause at the expense of others. If we ever do lose the power to edit and delete our own posts, it will be because of people like you. For people like you a dictatorship is one of the best solutions and the reason why it thrived for as long as it did.

D/X stated:

Only you can answer that question for yourself. Simple people like myself will simply look at the title of the message board and know the answer to that question. I wish you luck on your journey to understanding.

P.S. I believe this message board is run very fairly and democratically. Whether this post is or is not removed, I will be vindicated.

What’s your take?

Hi,

I have moved this discussion from Philosophy forum to here where it is more suited. As you were…

• ben