A discussion on the movie "The Matrix"

What would you rate the Matrix on a scale of 1 to 5?

0 voters

Yes, I am a freak. A matrix freak to be exact, and damn proud of it. :smiley: Let me start off by telling you a funny story. I never expected to watch “The Matrix” initially. After watching the commercials, and seeing the “razzle-dazzle-never-before-seen-special-effects”, with the intruging catch line being thrown around, “What is the Matrix?”, I interpreted it as a typical marketing scheme to get me to watch another pointless, action flick hardly worth my time. However, by some stroke of fate, my father watched it and told me it was one of the best movies he had ever seen. A note about my father is he never watches movies, and when he does, he never says they are good. Intruigued, I went to go see it, and after 2 hours and 16 minutes of my eyes being glued to the screen, and my mouth hanging open, this movie quickly become one of my most favorite movies of all time. I loved the incredibly innovative, and artistic action sequences, but more so the genius behind every scene, which filled the movie with purpose and meaning to a plateau reached by only by the greatest movies of all time such as Citizen Kane, and Schindler’s List. (A bold statement I know, but I truly believe it). The story is so compelling, as it is terrifying real, especially in our society where we become more dependant on technology as time goes by. I thought it would be a very good idea to post this message on a philosophy discussion board, assuming that most of you guys look beyond the surface of things, and really consider all perspectives, which is what is required to fully appreciate this movie.

For those who are not going to see the movie, I reccomend you at least go to this site,

whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/r … _main.html

which deals with the philosophy of the Matrix, its impact, relevance, and new perspective on life.

However for those who haven’t seen the movie I really, truly recommend you do, because if you don’t, I believe you are missing out on a life-changing experience.
For those who have seen the movie, I would be very glad to use this topic as a way to voice your opinions, and debate and discuss various topics of interest. I even go so far as to welcome negative reviews about this movie, knowing everyone has different perspectives, and this thread wouldn’t be a throughly comprehensive discussion without all point of views.

Anyways, I hope to see a lot of posts in the near future, and look forward to talking with you all.

roygabv :wink:

Hi Roy,

One of your most favorite? Well I guess that makes me an even bigger fan, cause Matrix is my all time favorite movie. Nothin beats it for me. Why is it so good? Well it does what it’s suppose to do. It’s as simple as that…well for the most part. See, Sci-Fi films are suppose to take you away from reality and suck you into theirs in a convincing way. How many Sci-fi movies do you know that explain everything that’s happening in the movie well enough to actually say “yeah, you know, its actually convincing and logical”? Matrix is it for me. Being a philosophy major and having loved philosophy ever since I was a kid, I can honestly say that Matrix has more references to philosophy than any other movie, furthermore, no other movie presents philosophy in such an intriuging way.

I advize anyone who is really interested in the movie to also buy the book “The Art of The Matrix”, and well, the Matrix mouse pad wouldn’t hurt either. Than again, for those who want to get involved in it as much as possible, there are the matrix dolls that you can collect.

What’s your take?

Pity they chose Keanu “Wooden” Reeves for the part of Neo huh.

I too loved the Matrix when I first saw it. But recently I saw a Japanese animated film called “Ghost in the Shell” which is the story of a future Tokyo where cybernetic implants are commonplace and “the Net” is everywhere.

The film deals with a lot of similar themes to the Matrix (the nature of reality, consciousness and the self) and, (this left my mouth gaping) the Matrix seems to have ripped off the film scene for f’n scene.

Opening credits emerging from green text, check.
Black suited Agents, check.
False, implanted memories, check.
Connecting to cyberspace by a port in the back of the neck, check.
Firing at a man running through a crowd, only to mis and hit watermelons on a stand, check.
Jumping onto a rooftop, landing in EXACTLY the same pose as Agent Smith chasing trinity and cracking concrete on landing? Check, check, check.

I strongly recommend everyone who loves the Matrix to watch Ghost in the Shell, the film that ahem “inspired” the Matrix.

Hi HVD.
Yeah, actually the directors of the Matrix, Larry and Andy Wachowski, admitted the Matrix was inspired by “Ghost in the Shell”, and took many of the best elements from the anime, and incorporated it into their movie. However, contrary to many people’s opinions, especially anime lovers, (not saying you personally) they think the Matrix is a “cheap rip-off” and completely unorigional. However, I don’t think at all demean the status of the Matrix, but in fact enhances it, by crediting its source from such great work of art. I myself saw “Ghost in the Shell”, and though find it a bit confusing, but more deep than the Matrix, but I appreciated it so much more because I watched the Matrix, and vice versa. Just like people love sequels, or movie adaptations of books and comics, why doesn’t this apply to “The Matrix”, and “Ghost in the Shell”?

By the way here is a site that compares the similarities between the two, quite interesting…
geocities.com/tacobelll/matrixgits/

Hi Matt
Funny you mentioned that Matt, because I thought Keanu Reeves was the perfect role for Neo in the Matrix. Firstly, I know Keanu can’t act. I think that is a universal constant we can all depend on. However, the fact that he is so spaced out, and clueless fits perfectly with the character of “Neo”, who is disillusioned with the world, and has all these questions in his head. Also, Keanu Reeves may not be the best actor, but he is a good guy. He worked really hard on this movie, and actually pulled off some decent kung-fu fights, and made me believe he was “Neo”. Also, in the upcoming movies, he cut his salary, to help support the movie.

Also if you want to note they originally intended to cast Will Smith. How wierd would that be? Imagine him saying, “Whoa…”. It’s just not the same without Keanu. :wink:

Well, its good to know, I’m not the only Matrix FrEaK around her. BTW for anyone in Ontario, Canada, it is playing tonight on the new VR at 8:00 p.m!
Talk to you guys later.

roygabv :smiley:

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland. And, I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
hey roy…
naw… you’re not alone with your Matrix fascination

…sweet
hey’d you hear that Magius?

I think “Ghost in the Shell” is a much better movie then The Matrix, as its story is a lot more interesting. It also goes into the essence of thought and existence. And what is life, rebirth and evolution?

Anybody who has not seen this movie, you have but one thing to do this week! SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Pax Vitae

Pax, I too loved “GitS” a lot ore than “The Matrix” for the same reason. i found GitS a lot deeper and more satisfying after I watched it, even though it is a lot shorter than the Matrix.

Eegah! I just watched yet ANOTHER film that the Matrix ripped off.

SPOILER for those who have not seen “Dark City”

It was called “Dark City” and it is about a race of aliens who abducted people and placed tham in a city they built, and gave them false memories. These aliens have to power to control reality, and they use this power to change the city around every night. They are defeated by a “chosen one” who gains their reality-warping powers.

END SPOILER

Ugh! Is it true? Is this film I loved nothing more than a visually-dazzling amalgamation of “Ghost in the Shell” “Dark City” and “The Lawnmower Man”?

Every film or idea has atleast 2 sources.

Hey HVD.

Did you read my previous post?

If you did, then you will see that the Matrix, although, as you termed “rip-off” the ideas of other movies, that this is NOT a bad thing. In fact it is a good thing, a very good thing. The topics of the nature of our existence, free will, the dangers of technology, as embedded in the very foudation of “The Matrix”, and also GITS, and Dark City. But these are not topics that can become dull, and irrelevant, as they are more fully explored, in fact the opposite occurs, and the topics become more vivid, and alive as we start to slowly find meaning and truth.

So, just to sum up, yes Matrix did copy, and “rip-off” of GITS, and Dark City, and a lot of other sources, but to keep coming back to these philosophical ideas, should not be shunned upon, but celebrated, especially us, who are a community of thinkers, and enjoy philosphical debate. If I had my way, I hope there are thousands, and thousands of movies that “rip-off” movies as great as GITS and now, “The Matrix”, for years to come, movies will finally be worth watching.

Also, one finally note, there is not one. ONE single great movie, that is original. Everything is based on something else, and that’s the damn truth.

Well what do you think HVD? Or anybody?

roygabv :smiley:

I do realise that there are very few original movies. And I agree, that films that do make you think are to be celebrated as bringing philosophy into the main stream. What I find wrong is that GITS and DC, expounded on these ideas so much more deeply, and they were ignored by the public at large.

The Matrix on the other hand, was hugely popular, and it really did not go into the detail that the other two do, instead relying more on visual effects more than Deep Thouight for the Wow factor (im gonna get flamed for that).

Let me ask you a question, do you think the Matrix would have been as popular as it was without Bullet time and gunfights?

Please don’t get me wrong, I still love The Matrix, but I just feel the other two films did the whole existence crisis thing much better.

PS, I dont mind the Matrix borrowing ideas, but an entire scene frame for frame?

Don’t mind if I step in here…

its a lame excuse to think a movie not good because it borrowed from other ideas. All movies borrow from other ideas. Heck almost any movie you mention related to the Matrix is really just related to The Allegory of the Cave. Like I said before, Matrix is the best for me because it creates an alternate reality that is more plausible and well explained than any other sci-fi I can think of. Dark City was horrible, I hated that movie with a passion. So what if Matrix copied some of its ideas, heck, atleast it fixed the errors it made. As for Gits, I like the movie alot, but come on, it’s a cartoon movie. Its a different genre. You can’t go around comparing a movie to a cartoon in a fair way.

HVD stated:

The more important question is would Gits and Dark City been as good without the gun fights and other special effects? Which should lead you to view Gits, Dark City, and Matrix in a boring light, but maybe a more equal light for youself, at which point you may realize that obviously not one of the movie would be the same without the gunfights and special effects, but Matrix would still be better than Gits and Dark City, in my opinion.

HVD stated:

Would you care to elucidate the actual ideas you are referring to that Gits and DC went deeper into than Matrix? Furthermore, if Matrix didn’t go as deep with them, its because it wasn’t meant to. It sounds like your arguing that Matrix should have gone as deep as DC and GITS into these ideas, but that would just make it more of a fake, yet you complain that Matrix is just copying. It’s as though it doesn’t matter what Matrix does, your gonna complain for the sake of complaining. If Matrix isn’t like the others, your going to complain that it didn’t go as deep as the others. When Matrix is like the others, your going to complain that it just copied. Matrix is a movie on its own ground, its meanings are many and varied, if it was a complete copy (which it isn’t) of three dozen movies in order to make us see and understand the meanings that the directors want to get across, hasn’t it accomplished what movies are for? I think so. You say that the Matrix RELIES on visual effects, this is just not so, the plot was good and interesting way before the effects came in. Furthermore, it is obvious that the visions that Wachowski brothers had were thought out way before they even knew whether what they wanted to do was possible, that’s a true sign of novelty, innovation, art, and a huge risk on their part.

HVD stated:

Care to elaborate?

HVD stated:

Which scene is that?

Alot of these questions have all been covered, for those who really think they have an argument against the Matrix, or for those who are truly devoted to it, why not share your ideas with those who know the movie the best, those who have been interviewed for the Matrix REVISITED if any of you own it. Those who have covered every millimeter of the movie with a microscope. Check out…

matrixcommunity.org/cgi-bin/ … ysPrune=10

which will take you to the heart of the discussion. For a general overview of the site, check out matrixcommunity.org

What’s your take?

I am also an uber fan of The Matrix. Everytime one of my friends come over, I watch the movie and can follow along with the dialogue :smiley:
Maybe we should make a Matrix Fan Club…
I know everyone wants to see Matrix: Reloaded :smiley: