Philosophical/theological must haves

What are some books you just must have on your bookshelf as a philosopher?

If you’re a beginer looking to just get into philosophy Peter Kreeft’s The Journey is a must have. Be warned: 2/3 of the way it turns into theology.

For those of you looking into getting into theology and the bible (Quor’an, whatever) isn’t enough, I say: “Good for You!” The bible isn’t enough for me either. If you are looking at a Judeo-Christian picture of theology the must have it the Summa Theologica or the Summa of the Summa, but everyone expected me to say that already, didn’t you? :wink:

To understand Catholicism the Catechism by Pope John Paul II (Vatican II edition) is the book containing the official beliefs of the Catholic Church. A Must have. I recomend reading it in conjunction with St. Thomas and St. Augustine.

For moral reletivists I recomend Kant’s The Metaphysics of Morals.

For everyone I recomend Aristotle for Everybody.

Happy reading!! I look forward to your recomendations.

P.S. This will probably determine what books I read next (maybe even put on my Christmass list) so I’d appreciate as much input at possible. :smiley:

“Penguin Dictionary of Philosphy” is important, and I’d recommend a copy of Berkeley’s “Three Dialogues”.

For philosophy, get William James’ “The Varieties of Religious Experience”. It is unbelievable!

For theology, check out Dr. Norman Geisler’s “Systematic Theology”. It is a must have.