I'm new

Am I pretensious, self interested asshole? (Does the very fact that I’ve posed this question answer itself?)

• Yes
  • No
  • The Question answers itself
0 voters

I’m new, in case you haven’t guessed by the title. I don’t know if any of you care, but I’ll tell you a bit about myself. I mean, it’d be rude not to, wouldn’t it.

I live in Belfast, Ireland. I don’t recognise the right of the “state” of Northern Ireland to exist, so I suppose I could be called a Republican. I don’t know if any of you care about this relatively minor issue in relation to global politics, but if you do, I’d be happy to engage in debate.

I’m a third year university student, Scholastic Philosophy being my major, in fact only, subject. The university is attempting to amalgamate Scholastic with Analytic philosophy, so they are basically shafting me by not providing enough Scholastic modules. I’m generally a Platonist/Rationalist, although I’m mainly a follower of Bernard Lonergan.

I despise popular culture, and believe that there is a concerted effort to make american popular culture the global culture, which I totally resent.

I tend not to agree with people blowing up kids on busses, but I support the Palestinian right to self-determination, and abhorr the Israeli occupation. That said, I don’t think the injustices on both sides are any excuse to blow up busses, or fire missiles at family homes from Apache helicoptors.

I think the “War on Terror” is the biggest piece of propoganda bullshit of all time.

I believe in some sort of non-material substance, and by extension, in some sort of non-material all-powerful intellectuality, but I don’t subscribe to any particular religion.

I don’t really like politics, as it deals with the imperfections of life, and tells us very little about objective reality. However, I do like to engage in political debate, as it enables me to point out the imperfections inherent in politics. I don’t really subscribe to any political ideals, as none of them meet my standards of morality. I’m something of a general idealist, thinking everybody should just be cool to each other, but, recognising that that isn’t going to happen, I’m also an eternal pessimist.

Well, those are some of my views. I hope I don’t contradict them when posting on an issue. I also hope I don’t sound like a pretensious twat who likes talking about himself. Oh well, one can always hope, eh.
Oh, and thanks for letting me join.

PS, sorry for adding such a stupid poll, but I just wanted to try the facility, having never used it before. Please feel free to tell the truth, i’m pretty thick skinned.

Hi! 'Member me?