In the last forum I was at....

Hi. I’m the new guy.

Why I’m here:
I liked the last forum I was at a lot; everyone there was extremely intelligent and well-read. I got tired of it though, because almost every discussion got boiled down into this non-sensical relativistic (practically becoming subjectivism, mind you) babble about how we can’t really know anything, or “who are we to say this” type thing. At least in the two rooms that were my forte, ethics and theology, this happened. I mean, c’mon. Also a lot of the people were agnostic; which is great, I respect people who aren’t sure and are searching for the truth, but there it seemed that they were “agnostic” simple because it’s convenient to straddle the fence. I’m sure you know what I mean.

Blah Anyways…

What I am:
I fancy myself a relativist in the sense that Kant was a reletivist. I also carry strong undertones of objectivism. I don’t like to categorize myself as a follower of one philosopher or another; I believe that one should follow one’s own philosophies, but if I had to choose I would most likely label myself a Thomist (St. Thomas Aquinas). So there’s a little heads up about what my posts are likely to look like.

About me:
I’m a highschool student freshman, ugh. I got into philosophy about a year ago in 8th grade when I read Peter Kreeft’s The Journey. Since then I’ve read the Summa Theologica, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, The Metaphysics of Morals, a book on Descartes I can’t remeber the title of, and parts of Philosophy Made Easy, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Philosophy, and The Question of God. Hey, I know I’m missing some big gaps there, but I’m working on it.

And I hope to have fun philosophising with you all.

Welcome Qzxtvbzr,

Couldn’t you have come up with an easier name? :smiley: You have quite a resume for a freshman in highschool. When I was in 9th grade, I don’t think I had even heard of any of those books. Well, I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say, welcome and we look forward to your future posting!

I am an Aquinas fan myself although I am an agnostic, but he sure did make some good points. I am guessing you are a Theist. Any specific religion that you adhere to?

-Jason

BTW, take a look at the ‘After the Fat Lady Sings’ post by Polemarchus. It is in the Philosophy section. As a theist, I think that you will find it quite interesting.