Waking Life

Has anyone else seen the movie, Walking Life?

Movie is Deep

:wink:

Nope havenā€™t seen it, but I bet I know a movie thatā€™s even deeper than that, it also happens to be my fatherā€™s favorite movie of all timeā€¦The Abyss.

heh i saw the movieā€¦ it was definatley deep and i had great expectations about the movieā€¦ however i thought it boring as hellā€¦ and couldnt wait for it to be over when i watched it.

Frighter, are you talking about Waking Life, or the abyss?

Yeah, I saw this movie, but I agree with Frighter (if he was talking about Waking Life and not The Abyss, hehehe). Waking Life was boring and it doesnā€™t have a whole lot of story to it. It was so boring in fact that I stopped the DVD half-way thru because I wasnā€™t in the mood to watch this sort of ā€œeducationalā€ film and ended up watching a different DVD instead.

Anyways, later on that week, I watched Waking Life all the way thru and since I now had a better idea of what to expect, I ended up really liking it. The movie talks about a lot of interesting topics that I never really thought about before. For example, one thing that comes to mind is if there is such a thing as reincarnation, then who are the ā€œveteranā€ souls and who are ā€œrookieā€ souls in the world? I havenā€™t looked into the statistics myself, but the movie explains that because of the worldā€™s population growth rate, all of us canā€™t possibly come from past lives. A lot of us have to be totally brand-new souls, with no previous lives whatsoever. I havenā€™t really given much thought to reincarnation myself, but I thought that this was an interesting point.

Just as long as you donā€™t expect an edge-of-your-seat thriller and donā€™t mind the rough edges of an indie film, I recommend seeing it.

I give this movie two thumbs upā€¦ way up! :wink:

But what about the theory that we are actuall reincarnated BACK in time. Some of us choose not to be, so thatā€™s why the population is smaller in the past. Those who claim to remember being Joan of Arc or Emperor Augustine are frauds. The guys who really remember their past lives become science-fiction writers.

Thatā€™s interesting. I never thought of that. I guess that since the majority of the people who ever think about reincarnation, whether they believe in it or not, tend to think of reincarnation as moving FORWARD in time, Waking Life probably only took the time to discuss that particular part. I suppose that Waking Life could have addressed that other theory as well, but they probably didnā€™t have enough time within the movie to discuss every theory from all the possible angles.

I agree that people who claim to have been Billy the Kid or a Japanese Kamakaze pilot in a previous life are frauds. But I donā€™t think you can prove or disprove someone claiming to be Billy the Kid any easier than you can prove or disprove a science-fiction writer who claims to have lived in the future.

BTW - Your new avatar scares me a bit. :astonished:
idunno, I just canā€™t picture an avatar like that telling a joke about snooker table falling out of a tree. :laughing:

True, but I dont know a single SF writer who has claimed to have lived in the future. Another thing is that the theory was half-serious/half-joking, so take it as you will.

Also, we have to realise that we cannot only look at human population. Most reincarnationst religions believe we are reborn as other life forms and they are reborn as us, so if we count the total number of life forms on earth, we may find it is increasing, decreasing or constant.

If the former two, we must take into account possible extraterrestrail life. For example, imagine Planet Futon, population 4 billion. a great calamity wipes them out, and renders the planet uninhabitable. Where do all those souls go? Im sure some of them would come here.

Of course, this is all pure speculation, but interesting speculation.

PS - Dont worry about the avatar, Stingā€™s a really nice guy, and he tells a great fridge joke :laughing:

This movie opened my eyesā€¦

Dream is destiny

Havenā€™t read through this post in itā€™s entirety, but I recently watched the film and wanted to see if anybody else has seen it and what they thought of it. It integrates many philosophical topics that we have all thought about into a single movie. Very well done!

For those of you who have watched it, did you try turning the light switch on and off during the movie? :smiley:

Itā€™s a great movie, though I can understand why some people find it boring. I love the rotoscoping technique (currently in an animation class) and enjoy the different chapters being rendered by different teams of artists. Iā€™d like to see it a few more times (I should probably just buy a copy) because there really are interesting themes throughout. I especially like the idea of global consciousness/shared telepathy (in Ethan Hawkeā€™s scene).

And no, I didnā€™t turn on or off the light switch, but prior to seeing this movie, I have been able to maniputlate my dreams, but never to the full extent they talk about. Usually in a dream if I realize Iā€™m dreaming and start to control it, it isnā€™t long before I wake.