CHESS TOURNAMENT IS HERE!

[size=200]Come one, come all - to one of the greatest games every invented.[/size]

There is a prize to be won!

For all those wishing to join, PM me (Magius) with your name and your skill level (ie. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced - be honest!). You may also wish to let me know what days you are comfortable playing, maybe even times, so that I can best match you up with someone who is also most comfortable playing around the same time.

Here are the rulez (purposeful spelling mistake):

1. NO CHEATING

2. You can play the game with the partner you are assigned anywhere you like, all that matters is that Magius receive the list of moves throughout the game that will be sent to both players to verify accuracy and to let me know who won.

3. HAVE FUN

4. Take your time with each game, I want everyone to do the best they can (I know some people like to think for hours about their moves) but make sure not to let the game go on longer than a week. Most of you will have started and ended in the span of an hour. But I think for those that choose to do emailing or PM will need the week.

The tournament has Ben’s seal of approval
The winners will be updated daily.

[size=150]We need atleast ten players for the tournament to go on![/size]

Don’t be shy, if you know how all the pieces move - you qualify for the tournament. There is a place for all types of players of chess, no matter how bad you are or how good you are; why not try it out!?!

Get involved…it’s a great way to get to know the members of the board. Especially those who are new to the board. Chatting is one of the best ways to pass the time when playing chess, also a good way to distract your opponent.

With as many members as this board has, I suspect there should be atleast 30 participants by the end of the tournament.

PM me to let me know of your request for entrance to the tournament.

So are we going with yahoo chess then?

Yeah, sure, I’m in. I guess I’d be either beginner or intermediate seeing as I haven’t played much since I was about ten, but I’ll be willing to play whoever lays down the challenge.

prize?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

JP, it doesn’t matter where the chess is played, as long as I get a list of the moves ecah player made during the game. I will try to find you a partner as soon as I can. The problem is that we don’t have many players yet. Maybe you can inspire some people to come and play.

Frighter, yes there is a prize but only if we get atleast ten players. Otherwise there is no point.

JP check your inbox…

Magius - I’m in…but it does sound a bit…disorganized. ‘Where’ will we play?

Shouldn’t there be 16 players? (divisible by two)

Jon4th4n,

• Why does it sound disorganized? :angry: How would you organise it? Do you know anything about the way the tournament has been organized? To answer your question of ‘where’ the games are played. It has been made most convenient, i think, that the players can play the games anywhere they want; as long as a list of all the moves throughout the game are emailed or PM to me afterwards. So some are playing through yahoo, some through msn, and some through email or PM.

• it would also help if you asked the question first, got an answer and then judged. Instead of asking the question and judging it to be disorganized before you got an answer.
    :wink:

Jon4th4n stated:

Why should there be ‘16’? Or did you pick a random number? Ofcourse there should be an even number of players, I did post that we needed 10 in order for the tournament to even happen. 10 being divisible by two. 16 would be great, but getting ten was hard enough…

Glad to hear you are in,
I will be in touch
~Magius

To have a knockout tourney, which i assume this is, you need a power of 2, otherwise the elimination bit fucks up.

EG: 10 players. 5 eliminated therefore 5 left, you have an odd no. of players, so who plays who?

HVD,
only Ben has known the true direction of the tournament since the beginning. I was going to save it as a surprise until the first set of games were done. The way I have organized the tournament is that everyone gets a minimum of two games, and there are second chances after the first loss and after the first win. It sounds complicated, but it works, it works for almost any number of players. If the number is ten the layout (like a tree diagram) is set up one way, if it’s sixteen or fifteen or fourteen, I can simply alter the layout to suit the number of players.

The number of players has nothing to do with the layout, the reason I chose ten is because I wanted people to have more than one game each, and I wanted a fair sized group. I didn’t think it realistic to pick sixteen, coincedence has it that is the number I was going to start off with. Sixteen people would not join, I had enough trouble getting ten. I would be more than happy to get sixteen players. But like I said, I am leaving so that whatever number of players joins I can just set out the layout to conform to it, no biggy.

What’s your take?

Have any of the competitors finished their games?

The following is a list of all those who are grouped to play against each other…

• Macca vs JP (unfinished)
  • Frighter vs Magius (in progress)
  • Ben vs HVD (unfinished)
  • Jawaad vs Kurt Weber (unfinished)
  • CBA vs Jon4th4n (unfinished)

The quota for participants involved has been met and the tournament is on. More participants are welcome to join, it would be nice to see as many members of the Ilovephilosophy message board participate as possible, the more the marrier.

First off, I wanted to say ‘Good Luck’ to all those who are going back to highschool, college, or University. This is an important time for all of us. I hope that people will still be able to find a few moments even on a weekly basis to make a post or two. I hope everyone does great, I wish everyone a good school year filled with making new friends, getting good grades, having new and wonderful experiences with your loved ones, or coming to have new loved ones, or maybe getting together with your ex-loved ones. Whatever you do, have fun doing it, and give it your best.

I hope people haven’t forgotten they are in a Chess Tournament, and that the participants will be diligent in their effort to finish their current games, or to get started on the games. Remember to PM me when you are finished.

Take care,
~Magius

It may be a while before my game with ben, due to his awayness

Magius, i had a conversation with ben the other day, and he told me that he may very well not have time to play me, what with his israelness and all. so i may have to be partnered with a new player.

Ah, chess – a mystery to those who don’t know the game, and more of a mystery to those who do.

I’m in.

go on then ill take someone on im not too good tho

:smiley: :smiley: awesome, finnaly a chess tournament! I’ve been waiting for this!!! Chess is quite possibly my favorite game in the whole world I feel attached to it, through some sort of bond, im not sure but it gives me that tingly feeling inside, i, i, i, just can’t figure it out but i wanna play wahoo

ill give ya a game on yahoo chris

ed

Damn did I join too late? Well if it’s not too late, then I’m interested in participating. I love chess it’s awesome. :smiley: