Believe Nothing?

Has anyone seen the new tv sitcom ‘Believe Nothing’ and what do you think of it? Personally I think it’s brilliant!! Any comedy programme that mentions Kierkegaard is simply intellectually hilarious!!!

I thought a character called Richard Chutney of Vermin Records was a laugh. If you’ve not seen the programme yet you’re missing out on some classic comedy, especially for the more intellectual thinkers among us. (it’s well over the head of the the average itv viewer!!) :unamused:

Too bad I live in America and get to miss out…shucks

Do I detect a hint of insular American arrogance there? No, I must have been imagining it.

Why is it that Europeans always get a hindrance of American arrogance whenever we choose to speak our minds? Does an aura of arrogance rub off on others or is it a stereotypically implied impression? That always boggled my mind because I don’t feel as though we carry ourselves as being arrogant of nature, nor do I feel as though we exert that impression. :unamused:

Compared to other contries I think most americans are arrogant. That’s coming from an american. Could possibly be nationalism though. I don’t think that nationalism should always go as far as an insult towards the opposing side though. Damn english. :unamused:

Yes, being open-minded, I can accept the idea that it’s nationalism, but dwelling on that, we’re a proud nation. Eversince the 9-11 ordeal, we’ve been more united than ever before. Why is this “arrogance” viewed as a negative prospect? Can’t it be viewed as pride in our country and who we are rather than the bashing of other nations? Okay, sure, if a particular few want to make it their perogative to belittle other countries, then that’s their problem, but they shouldn’t dis-repute those who just want what’s best for the nation.

Hey, relax guys, I already said that “I must have been imagining” the implied insult to UK sitcoms in Nevir Sonat Kinkeri’s post. He actually LOVES our TV programmes.

Being serious, though, I think your last post was spot on, MissWLee. A small minority of Americans who take nationalism to the level of “bashing other countries” spoil it for all the others. Sadly, this minority accounts for much of the US government, and hence US foreign policy. This is why many people around the world view America in this light; it is not a gripe with American people in general, it is concern at the gung-ho trigger-happy approach epitomised by Bush and his henchmen (particularly Rumsfeld) - they are seen as overly aggressive, and hence America is seen as an aggressive nation - and it makes sense, because if you vote someone in as president, surely you are stating that this man represents the views of typical Americans more than any other in the nation. That’s democracy.

But don’t confuse hostility to American foreign policy with a hatred of America - I have been to various parts of America several times and loved the place, and the friendly people (beats the old stiff upper lip any day!). There was this one time when I got lost in some sort of ghetto in Miami though - damn that was scary.

Adonis - everyone seems to have got sidetracked and are using this post to discuss something different!

Yes I have seen it, though I must admit I only started watching it because of Dr. Awkward (Emily Bruni)…she looks a lot like a girl I used to (still do actually) fancy. @##$$!!! She’s so HOT (in every way) don’t you think?

I do agree with you that it is a clever and enjoyable comedy, not that funny, but there’s certainly ‘something’ about it that I can’t put my finger on (like Steptoe & Son, it isn’t the funniest I 've seen but it there’s something about it I like - do you know what I mean?)

PS - Why is it called Believe Nothing?

MissWLee - have a look at
http://ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=138080

I think it’s called Believe Nothing because there’s a ‘world council’ who control and manipulate the world population. You hear what they want you to hear and nothing is what it seems!!

I thought it was funny as the US council representative was so true to life, and unlike the real life UN did NOT have any control or influence over the other ‘sensible’ nations representatives.

Yes, but what about Dr Awkward??? :smiley: :smiley:

She`s so hot!!! :blush: see, im red

Wait a minute - are you male??

ps - if you dont fancy her u r not :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I am male, and yes I fancy Dr Awkward!! But not after I saw her tonight all fat and spotty after eating too much fudge!!! :confused:

Adonis stated,

I have never heard of it. I don’t think that I share your enthusiasm for shows that make mention of things, and for this reason find them intellectually hilarious, whether it’s Kierkegaard or not. But hey, that’s me.

Adonis - one rather odd thing Ive noticed about her is that shes got a black womans face but shes white…convex mouth etc…

Explain to me what Albuman is suposed to be… I dont get` him… :confused: :slight_smile:

Hey, that show has only recently started in Australia. I watched the third episode last night. It comes on weekly.

I think it’s refering to the fact that a brain-dead and dumbed-down tv show mentions a philosopher and makes reference to his philosphical writings. IMHO us ‘thinkers’ find far too few tv programmes of interest or appealing to our sense of humour (we often tend to be deeply cynical about life)… Monty Python’s Flying Circus IS another hit with the philosophical elite that I could mention. Jean Paul Satre and Albert Camus etc, very funny men I say :laughing:

Alien,
first of all, pardon my manners, I haven’t properly greeted you to this little niche on the internet. Welcome!

I understand and agree with your elucidation on the topic of tv-shows. But it is that very fact, that you mention, that frustrates me at times. These TV producers will do anything to raise ratings whether or not their show is worth a penny. Someone starts a show that is ridiculous…they begin to lose ratings…and all of a sudden they start throwing in everything but the kitchen sink in order to save it. What is missing from the whole TV series world is something of value, quantity as well as quality, a good idea, something interesting and fun, something altruistic that was put on TV for the viewers benefit - and not something that has simply proven to grab and stupefy viewers into resisting changing channels…like sex and violence.

I saw the Monty Python movies when I was in grade 7 and found nothing of value in them, in fact i felt my IQ drop atleast 10 points. It may have been that it was so deep that I failed to understand it’s implications…I will rent the flying circus when I get some time and I will re-evaluate it.

You mentioned having a deeply cynical view of life, I wish someone would write a paper proposing a theory as to why philosophers are always such deep cynics. More importantly, I wish that someone would write a continuation to the above essay regarding how to get oneself out of cynicism, out of pessimism, and into enjoying life. No matter how hard I try I can’t wilfully put blinders on to all the bad things in life, or maybe someone will want to respond to this post and argue that it’s the very fact that I have blinders on that causes me to be so cynical. I am open to any and all interpretations.

I am often astounded at how long I have been doing philosophy and how few experiences I have with different philosophers writings. For the first time in my life I came across Burke’s Philosophical Enquiry into the Sublime and the Beautiful. You mention Sartre and Camus; of which i can say that I have heard much but read nothing of Sartre. Camus, is almost completely incognito to me. Over the christmas holidays I will try to allot some time to reading some of Sartre and Camus.

What’s your take?