Happiness comes from within:

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Happiness comes from within:

Postby Dan~ » Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 pm

Happiness and pain come from within.
Our inner body generates things like happiness and pain due
to how it is hard wired. It is one of the things that makes humans human.

Imagine a very sensitive person.
You call them an ass-hat.
Oh you hurt my feelings so much.
But if they were not sensitive like that,
it would be ignorable nonsense.

The process of getting hurt is internal.
If you could control your system,
you could greatly decrease your pain.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Happiness comes from within:

Postby surreptitious75 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:27 pm

All psychological responses come from within because every emotion - postive and negative - is an internal brain state
I would however make a distinction between happiness and contentment because I think the latter is more sustainable
Happiness does not allow for any negativity at all whereas contentment allows for some negativity and so there is more flexibility
True happiness is therefore rather elusive and so is undesirable but true contentment is more practical and so is more attainable
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby Dan~ » Sun May 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Agreed.
Contentment is more peaceful than happiness.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Re: Happiness comes from within:koo

Postby Meno_ » Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Dan~ wrote:Happiness and pain come from within.

Very true. Let me give You a bit from personal experience. I was extremely angry at a very mean and deceitful person that recently did grave damage to me and my family.I will not spell it out, the details are so shocking that they are beyond belief.
At any rate, I switched something off in my mind, and am convinced now more then ever, that somehow, I was able to overcome the horrible hate and sense of vengeance that kept me up at night.
I think it was a grace sent from beyond, not in the sense of a self induced state, but the ability not merely to let go of the negative feelings singularly, but a way like some thing or some ONE helping me from out of myself.
Then, a lightness surrounded my thinking, and thus formed an ability to forgive.
I hope it's lasting.
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:13 am

Anger is the most destructive of all emotions and is why I try to avoid it as much as possible
So well done Meno for not letting it get the better of you which it could so easily have done
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon May 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Dan~ wrote:Happiness and pain come from within.

Wouldn't 'how you control your system' be hardwired? and/or dependent on what parenting, for example, you experienced? The Rumanian orphan never held and missing nutrients getting hardwired problems controlling their system, the controlling the system being a part of the system? Our neuroplastic brains having been affected on many levels from what is outside us, also.

Which is not to say that one should not try to improve one's way of reacting if you don't like how it feels.
r
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Very true. Let me give You a bit from personal experience. I was extremely angry at a very mean and deceitful person that recently did grave damage to me and my family. I will not spell it out, the details are so shocking that they are beyond belief.
At any rate, I switched something off in my mind, and am convinced now more then ever, that somehow, I was able to overcome the horrible hate and sense of vengeance that kept me up at night.
I think it was a grace sent from beyond, not in the sense of a self induced state, but the ability not merely to let go of the negative feelings singularly, but a way like some thing or some ONE helping me from out of myself.
Then, a lightness surrounded my thinking, and thus formed an ability to forgive.
I hope it's lasting.

On the other hand...

You might have channeled that anger into an action that evened the score. If only because mean and deceitful people will continue to make life hell for others until and unless they are stopped.

Imagine Karl Marx ripping up the Communist Manifesto and, instead, advising the workers of the world to relinquish their anger against the ruling class.

Or those today who are outraged by the policies of Donald Trump. Or those who are outraged by that outrage.

Like most things "human all too human" anger is a genetic/memetic construct that is situated existentially out in a particular context understood in a particular way.

What worked for you may or may not work for others. My contribution here is only to suggest that you communicate what works for you to others. But don't [as some do] then get up on the soapbox and insist that others are obligated to respond in the same way.

Anger? Acting on it? In my view, one more example of "you're right from your side and I'm right from mine".

Only [for me] right and wrong are profoundly problematic.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Mowk » Tue May 19, 2020 6:28 am

So too comes discontent. Go figure.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby Dan~ » Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:Wouldn't 'how you control your system' be hardwired?

The control is hardwired, which is to control the hardwired.
It's cause on cause.

Also thanks for replies everyone.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Return to Psychology and Mind