Know Thyself

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Know Thyself

Postby UrGod » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 pm

I was never that impressed, actually.
I am your master.

“It’s half past fuck it with the caps lock on.”
-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby Lump » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 pm

mannequin01 wrote:Who are you, or what are you, or how do you see yourself?

Feel free to tell all about yourself in relation to the above title, your history, bloodline, your mentality, your whatever..what makes you you?
Like 99% of all people will paint an unrealistic picture of themselves, because of low rationality, exactly why no one can do lawsuits without a lawyer education.
Lump

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 pm

MagsJ wrote:..and on the 3rd day, I arose from the sofa.. but not quite the dead.

Biblical or what.

Being reintroduced to myself, but in a different/less-intense light.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Meno_ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:53 pm

MagsJ,

Introductions are at times painful, re-introductions, well, doubly so!
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:45 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:It may be depressing to you but more importantly it happens to be true. There will come a point in time when the human race will simply
be no more. That does not bother me because I just accept it and neither will it bother anyone else because by then they will all be dead
Free from all suffering forever more. And anyone who thinks that is depressing needs to explain to themselves why exactly they think this

What is depressing is that you claim your myths are truths. And relentlessly so, you've been claiming the same myth as a solid truth for years now, immune to logic and reason.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby mannequin01 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001

Hey stranger
mannequin01

Postby surreptitious75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Hey Trixie long time no see where you been hiding the last month
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:47 pm

mannequin01 wrote:Who are you, or what are you, or how do you see yourself?

Feel free to tell all about yourself in relation to the above title, your history, bloodline, your mentality, your whatever..what makes you you?

I am an unfinished product of many things in Existence - a work still in progress.

Or maybe still I can compare myself to the marble in the quarry (David) - sight unseen but still imagined and taking shape.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 pm

James wrote,

Throughout the infinite universe, there will always and forever be a person exactly identical to you, down to every atom.

That is certainly something to ponder.
If, in my loneliness, there is this other, wouldn't that be just the same as when I console myself?
What need would I have of someone who is another self but the same self to me?

Could I even wish for something like this? Quite frankly, I don't know.
But I would suppose that it would be like looking into a mirror or a crystal ball and having something to focus on as I tried to Know Myself.

But it really is an interesting thought to gaze on.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Meno_ wrote:MagsJ,

Introductions are at times painful, re-introductions, well, doubly so!

The re-introduction is minus the hindrance of the cloak of modernity's schoolings, so not so much painful, as swift.. the mental progressing swifter than the physical, so not ideal.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind