Is there a name for this?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Is there a name for this?

Postby Leitmotif » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi all. I'm looking for a term to describe something. Let's say somebody is an anxious, timid individual. He/she constructs a value system in which he/she regards courage in a negative light (perhaps as a label used like a pat on the head for slaves doing their masters' bidding, figuratively speaking and just as one of many examples). Now, this rationalization might not be baseless, but it's exaggerated and ignores anything that could be used to construct a positive conception of courage. What would you call such a psychological phenomenon. Is it ressentiment? Or is it merely born of ressentiment? Or something else?
Leitmotif

Re: Is there a name for this?

Postby Some Guy in History » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Leitmotif wrote:Hi all. I'm looking for a term to describe something. Let's say somebody is an anxious, timid individual. He/she constructs a value system in which he/she regards courage in a negative light (perhaps as a label used like a pat on the head for slaves doing their masters' bidding, figuratively speaking and just as one of many examples). Now, this rationalization might not be baseless, but it's exaggerated and ignores anything that could be used to construct a positive conception of courage. What would you call such a psychological phenomenon. Is it ressentiment? Or is it merely born of ressentiment? Or something else?

Well, I think that society has painted the picture wrong. perhaps the person isn't anxious or timid at all and only feels as though they are, are told that what they feel are the symptom of those things, and that they are those things all the time because of those symptoms. You would grow thinking yourself to be cowardly when you're not and view courage to be a disease, you would have a completely different value system in terms of terms applied and perception, but I don't believe there is an actual word for that. It's not the first psychological phenomenon that I've seen that's been 'uncharted'.

"Everybody says ["I don't want to die alone"]. But in my experience, push comes to shove... it isn't the "alone" part people want to avoid. It's the dying."

--Cletus Kasady (Earth-616)
Some Guy in History
Philosopher

Re: Is there a name for this?

Postby Leitmotif » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:54 pm

OK, but let's assume for the purposes of the hypothetical scenario that the person is anxious and timid so we can home in on the nature of the psychological self-deception. It's a bit like the thing Nietzsche said about the self-despiser nevertheless esteeming himself as a self-despiser, except here the timid person isn't so much esteeming himself/herself as something or other as holding in contempt the very concept of courageousness, and those who are duped by it.
Leitmotif

Return to Psychology and Mind