Rumination

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Rumination

Postby James S Saint » Tue May 02, 2017 7:18 am

WW_III_ANGRY wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:The negative connotations become apparent in the psychological fields where rumination is...
Rumination refers to the tendency to repetitively think about the causes, situational factors, and consequences of one's negative emotional experience (Nolen-Hoeksema, 1991). Basically, rumination means that you continuously think about the various aspects of situations that are upsetting.Feb 24, 2010

That is technical jargon.

There are two senses of the word; Consider the whole. We are not in the field of psychology here.

Aren't we?
The sandbox isn't full if you want to stay out of the field.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm

James S Saint wrote:Aren't we?
The sandbox isn't full if you want to stay out of the field.

We are in a forum in which multiple definitions of the term was provided. Do you think the field of psychology is unaware of the other definition of rumination that was being discussed?
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher

Postby Brainchild » Thu May 04, 2017 3:55 am

Arguing the finer points of the definition of rumination is probably unhelpful in regards to the original question. Words can be defined one way and applied another depending on context as i'm sure everyone knows. Trying to be a smart arse about semantics is unlikely to further the discussion, it won't elaborate further the question originally posed, nor garner answers to said question.

It has negative connotations in psychology *Checks board index title* because it suggests repetitively thinking (Chewing over) too hard about the same thing over and over again without a positive outcome is a bad thing that can lead to feelings of hopelessness, inadequacy and self harm behaviours leading to a negative outcome (Stagnation, death etc.). Oftentimes the rumination in this regard is rooted in personal unhappiness, lack of self fulfilment and an inability to see solutions to this. Off the top of my head, for some it may be an attempt to blast through a problem by using a continuous assault of problem solving, for others obsessive type behaviours, fear, anxiety, low self worth etc, or all of the above. I think though the cause of rumination in this sense is the inability to find an acceptable or positive outcome/solution which causes great distress for many people and is something I experience on a daily basis and have done for a very long time. It denotes being stuck in a rut and occupying ever decreasing circles of repetitive thought, hence why in psychology it is generally seen as something that is a bad thing, as after all, on the whole if we find a positive solution or outcome then we can move on. The causes of rumination in this sense I think vary from person to person and unpicking that madness can be a quagmire that is difficult for a person to do on their own just because of the very nature of the act and how blinkered and hopeless an individual's thinking can become in such situations.

I do wonder though off the back of this whether cows are content with their lot.
Brainchild

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat May 27, 2017 7:03 pm

No, I will NOT!
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind